Author Topic: Phone Brand  (Read 5362 times)

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Phone Brand
« on: 22:06:37, 02/04/21 »
Hope everyone is keeping well!

Just a quick question. Does anyone here use a less well known brand of mobile phone, particularly the tough type? Not Samsung or iPhone, etc, but brands like Ulefone, CAT, Land Rover, Doogee and so on - those specially designed for rugged outdoor use?

If so, any recommendations? Good or bad points? Do they run apps efficiently? Are the cameras any good? What about weight, waterproofness, battery life, etc, too?

It would be really good to know what experiences anyone has had.

Cheers

GP O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Phone Brand
« Reply #1 on: 22:34:38, 02/04/21 »
I don't use a tough phone, just a standard phome in a case with a flip lid that protects it from life's little hurts.  It would be no good for being dropped in water but for normal hiking use it is fine and I suspect cheaper.
Solvitur Ambulando

motorlaunch

« Reply #2 on: 23:06:44, 02/04/21 »
I have a Samsung 10e and use a waterproof case similar to this one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UNBREAKcable-Universal-Waterproof-Case-Pack-Black-2-Packs/dp/B07PMJW4BN/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?dchild=1&hvadid=80333150759064&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&hvqmt=e&keywords=waterproof+phone+case+s10&qid=1617400454&sr=8-18

The phone fits into my shirt pocket with the lanyard round my neck.
I can operate the phone whilst it is in the case and can even hold a conversation without having to remove it from the case.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:50:15, 02/04/21 »
When skiing where condensation can be an issue, in the past I have used an Aquapac for my phone.
https://aquapac.net/product-category/waterproof-phone-cases/
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:14:41, 03/04/21 »
I have a Samsung 10e and use a waterproof case similar to this one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UNBREAKcable-Universal-Waterproof-Case-Pack-Black-2-Packs/dp/B07PMJW4BN/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?dchild=1&hvadid=80333150759064&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&hvqmt=e&keywords=waterproof+phone+case+s10&qid=1617400454&sr=8-18

The phone fits into my shirt pocket with the lanyard round my neck.
I can operate the phone whilst it is in the case and can even hold a conversation without having to remove it from the case.

I'm tempted to try one of those. I could see it being very handy on a stormy day. Not sure how well it would protect the screen though. I had broken a few before I started using a leatherette case. No issues since.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:54:47, 03/04/21 »
Have a look at Wildwalking's post/blog. He uses one. Ulefone Armor 3W Rugged Smartphone - Wild Walking UK
« Last Edit: 08:30:20, 03/04/21 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:04:37, 03/04/21 »
I used to have the land rover one. Truly appalling in my opinion.  It has a magnetised snap on spare battery which also houses a dedicated gps receiver, but the magnets failed after less than a year. Replaced and exactly the same problem. It is hugely heavy with a massive bezel which makes the screen seem quite a bit smaller than a modern smart phone. Also not that rugged, I found the glass damaged easily.  I gave up last year, replaced phone with a Samsung and went back to a dedicated gps, satmap.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:06:49, 03/04/21 »
I don't use a smartphone in my day to day life, but I have one to use as a mini-computer (no SIM) with a navigation app, bird guides and to order resupply online using wifi when I pass through a town on long adventures.

So I have a cheap (£135) Chinese phone (Oukitel). When I bought it in 2016, I chose this one after I had seen YouTube videos where they used it to hammer nails into the wall, after which it still worked. It's built like a tank and it has never let me down on my long backpack adventures. It still runs great.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:28:44, 03/04/21 »
I use a smartphone and find it very useful when hiking. I wouldn't buy an expensive one, I'm not in love with brands as I just can't see what they can offer over my £170 one? I could have bought it cheaper but I couldn't be bothered to look any further at the time. Mines a Chinese phone, a Xiomou with 2 x SIM card spaces, in a cheap case just in case I drop it.

I also use a couple of older phones at home without a SIM just for client work but they are hardly used now because I work far less.

I also have another and older Xiomou smartphone which I've turned into my 'dedicated' hiking phone. One gadget which is great with all of them is my small Bluetooth keyboard. Typing on a phone keyboard to me is a dreadful experience, OK for basic operation but when there is a need for accuracy my Bluetooth keyboard is a must!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:15:15, 03/04/21 »
So I have a cheap (£135) Chinese phone (Oukitel). When I bought it in 2016, I chose this one after I had seen YouTube videos where they used it to hammer nails into the wall, after which it still worked. It's built like a tank and it has never let me down on my long backpack adventures. It still runs great.
  Apart from being a hammer,  does it also have bottle opener, a screwdriver and a thing for getting boy scouts out of horses' hooves?  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:37:55, 03/04/21 »
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_oIf6v77k8 Grin

This is the K4000, I have the K6000 pro (massive 6000 mAh battery)
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:45:13, 03/04/21 »
Yup, if ever I want to hammer in nails  that is the one for me!  What hammer do you recommend for making calls?   ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Kev06

« Reply #12 on: 18:08:38, 03/04/21 »
I've used quite a lot of rugged phones and tablets in the past, at work. Though not recently enough to comment on current models unfortunately, I can only offer general impressions:

They could be useful for very specific purposes, so I'd consider them for special applications that benefited from the ruggedness. But their low-volume of sales coupled with compromises needed to make them rugged tended to mean they were quite expensive for rather limited or outdated technology, so I'd look the specs over carefully if intended for everyday/normal uses.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:47:30, 03/04/21 »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far, much to consider.  O0

Hawkeye

« Reply #14 on: 11:12:17, 06/04/21 »
I've got a Xiaomi 10t Lite. Bought when on offer on the Xiaomi UK site for £179 but it's now at £229. Still a good price though. That's Sim free. I recommend GiffGaff - a tenner per month gets you all the calls, messages and data you need.

It has the feel of a premium phone and is much faster than my old Samsung - which was 5 years old (and I only changed because the batter was failing). It's a fantastic phone - unbelievable for the money. It's also 5g ready so somewhat future proofed - if that's important to you.

Here's the thing though - I always get a Spigen armour case. I had one with my Samsung and over the course of 5 years all it had was a small scratch on the screen. The case took a pounding, but not the phone. I can't recommend Spigen highly enough. It's well worth spending extra on the case.

Here are the Xiaomi models, but they do cases for every phone:

https://www.spigen.com/collections/xiaomi-series [nofollow]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy