Author Topic: Photographers Question & Answers corner  (Read 87875 times)

dibble

• Veteran Member
Re: Photographers Question & Answers corner
« Reply #30 on: 19:18:25, 29/01/11 »
Thank you everyone for your responses, I am reading them carefully and looking into what everyone is saying.  Thanks Granty for the £45 tip and thanks Dellwalker for the link.

Atm I am on my 5th dvd disc and it seems to be taking forever... but will persist.

Another tip if saving jpeg files (?) always keep a 'master' copy of the image that you never save over. Jpeg format 'losses' colour information every time you save the image, so it degrades the image.

Gary

Thank you for this info.,... that is very intersting.   I've saved them all onto dvd's and I clicked the option to treat them like pen drives.... ie where I can alter them... so that means, then, doesn't it... that I need to save my most favourite photos onto a dvd that I set up as not to be altered...

Thank you again, everyone.   O0

“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

roddyp

« Reply #31 on: 20:13:47, 29/01/11 »
One other option that's worth considering is using an 'online' storage system, like Google's Picasa web albums.

The advantages over local storage are:-
    Low incremental cost (first 1Gb is free, 20Gb is just $5 (£3.20) per year
    No worries about backing up
    No hassle when upgrading computer
    Accessible from your phone/laptop and desktop computers, wherever you are in the world
    Integration with Picasa desktop software is slick

The disadvantages are:-
   You have to trust Google not to lose them or otherwise mess them up. (actually, the chances of this are slim. Google's backup management is likely to be a lot better than yours...)
   You have to trust Google's security.
   You have to upload them from your own PC, so decent broadband connection is required.
   If you have many terabytes of data it's likely to be more expensive in the long term
   It's a recurring cost (you have to pay your $5 every year)

Currently I use a mixture. A lot of my older photos are still on local storage in my home office (a 1TB Synoptics RAID NAS unit, if you want to know. Holds the music collection, videos, etc., etc. as well), but I upload all the best 'new' photos to Picasa Web Albums.
I am just going outside, and may be some time.

Read my blog at http://butnoidea.co.uk

Crock-Knees

« Reply #32 on: 21:59:27, 29/01/11 »
I suppose the best system is to print out the images that you really do like, and not to get too precious about the rest. I think with the advent of digital photography, a lot of us went click-happy, even more so than with film!

I still rely mainly on two mirrored external hard drives. I am operating Windows 7 and XP on two different machines and at times I find CDs have a habit of being temperemental between the two.

But I do have a lot of 'junk images' saved!

John  O0
By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.

- Billy Crystal.

Starling

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 21:15:19, 15/02/11 »
Hi.  I started a 10 week photography course for beginners several weeks ago - and part of the criteria is to take photos of anything and everything.  All photos should then be printed on contact sheets showing the file name, ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture settings. 

I have photoshop but it doesn't allow me to select the above information.  I also have a disc for Picture Project 1.7 (PP) which came with the camera but my computer will not install it.  I'm not even sure if PP will show the information, anyway.

So what I need to know is,

a) Does anyone have any experience of Picture Project.  If so, does it let me show the info I need?
b) Does anyone know why I can't install it?  The DVD/CD RW does not recognize the CD at all, saying nothing is inserted. Someone suggested that I may have accidently deleted a component when uninstalling another program. The PC will let me play DVDs, however.
c) Does anyone know of, and can recommend, any free downloads I could use instead? 

I have about a thousand photos to print off within the next couple of weeks, and any help would be appreciated. 
Life is a journey... always take the scenic route

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 21:21:17, 15/02/11 »
Hi Starling,

I can't really help too much I'm afraid as I don't tend to print out contact sheets too much. When I do, it'll be a submission of about 10 images not 1000 but I'll just right click on the JPG and look at the properties and go into the Exif data and manually type everything up.

If you find a package though that does do contact sheets with this data automatically, do let me know.

James
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 21:21:45, 15/02/11 »
Have you searched for the program you have on CD and can't load ?  It is probably available to download, off for example your camera's website.  Failing that search for photoshop and contact sheets, or similar - I'd be suprised if photoshop can't do what you ask.

Rob.

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 00:01:59, 16/02/11 »
Sorry Starling, the last time I did a contact sheet it was in a darkroom with trays of foul smelling chemicals  :(
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Starling

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 13:35:51, 16/02/11 »
Hi. 

I had already located a Picture Project to download, but it would have cost me as I have limited mobile download.  Honestly, I really must get this looked into.  ??? .  I don't want to download it and find out it's worse than Photoshop. My version of Photoshop only allows filename, date, time, etc that photo was taken.  The College's version will print off the info I need, but the computers there are only available during lessons, and for photos taken during the lessons. Very frustrating.

Granty, thanks for this.  I've located the Exif data which I didn't realise was there before.   It looks as though I'll use this method for the time being and just print off the ones I really, really need.

Thanks for help.  O0
Life is a journey... always take the scenic route

Sharpedgehatter

« Reply #38 on: 12:35:15, 04/09/11 »
Sorry to be thick, but can someone explain something to me? In recent days I have attempted to post a trip report with pictures. When I try to load files, the system restricts me to 5 images but many other posters seem to be able to post many more pictures within the text of their post. I realise I could attach a link to Facebook or flickr but I would like to know how to incorporate pictures within the text. Any help will be very gratefully received.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 14:36:16, 04/09/11 »
Sorry to be thick, but can someone explain something to me? In recent days I have attempted to post a trip report with pictures. When I try to load files, the system restricts me to 5 images but many other posters seem to be able to post many more pictures within the text of their post. I realise I could attach a link to Facebook or flickr but I would like to know how to incorporate pictures within the text. Any help will be very gratefully received.

Most use the IMG code pasted into reports - see the PHOTOGRAPHY thread - how to post pictures O0

Sharpedgehatter

« Reply #40 on: 16:34:30, 04/09/11 »
Thanks Rambling Pete - I'll give it a look - what is IMG code? By the way, I absolutely love your blogging site. Great pictures and wonderful trip descriptions. For those of us who live such a long way from the Fells - your site and others keep us there.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 16:40:59, 04/09/11 »
Thanks Rambling Pete - I'll give it a look - what is IMG code? By the way, I absolutely love your blogging site. Great pictures and wonderful trip descriptions. For those of us who live such a long way from the Fells - your site and others keep us there.

I'm glad you enjoy it - always nice to know O0

The IMG code can be copied from the photo uploading sites and is the code to use when posting pics on here (as opposed to HTML codes) - you'll see the explaination if you read through the 'How to post pics' guide - it's one of the pink coloured threads in Photography O0

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 21:25:09, 04/09/11 »
Hi.  I started a 10 week photography course for beginners several weeks ago - and part of the criteria is to take photos of anything and everything.  All photos should then be printed on contact sheets showing the file name, ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture settings. 

I have about a thousand photos to print off within the next couple of weeks, and any help would be appreciated.

Hi Starling.

Google Picasa 3 (free software easy to use) may be of some help to you ?

One of the printing options allows for a 5cm x 8cm contact sheet which gives you twelve photos per A4 sheet.

If you click on border/text options you can add the exit detail below the photo.

The info printed under each photo will show camera type,focal length,shutter speed,aperture and ISO and you have the option to size your text and change colour of text. Just a pity it won't allow you to add a file name but file name option is available as a stand alone option without the exit info

I used it on my C&G Photo course and it's so easy to do  O0

Happy to help

Tony.
« Last Edit: 21:29:22, 04/09/11 by Nomad »

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 16:21:40, 10/10/11 »
For those of you that publish there photos on your own website in the hope of selling a couple....

Which sites do you use?
Do they cost?
Do you sell much through that medium?

Another question I have noticed my pictures come out quite dark when printed (darker than I want). I have self calibrated my monitor using the windows tools available but am aware that you can calibrate your monitor properly. Is it expensive? is there a cheap way of doing this as the windows method doesn't seem to have worked for me so far.
Willowisp - Beasty known for leading folks astray
Aka
Dan from Surrey don't you know. what what...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 13:19:31, 11/10/11 »
For those of you that publish there photos on your own website in the hope of selling a couple....

Which sites do you use?
Do they cost?
Do you sell much through that medium?

Another question I have noticed my pictures come out quite dark when printed (darker than I want). I have self calibrated my monitor using the windows tools available but am aware that you can calibrate your monitor properly. Is it expensive? is there a cheap way of doing this as the windows method doesn't seem to have worked for me so far.

I'd like the answer to this as well. I've just had a load of pics printed off from sky and they came out a little under exposed >:(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy