Author Topic: Long Walk with a horse  (Read 1244 times)

Walking Englishman

Long Walk with a horse
« on: 11:07:13, 05/09/19 »
A friend of mine is planning a 500 mile walk for a local charity this December/ January which will include taking two horses on the journey. The route is basically around the perimeter of Yorkshire with a few exceptions including New Years Eve at Tan Hill and crossing the River Humber or Ouse at some stage. I am helping with the route plan and would like to know if there are maps showing routes accessible to horses only, i.e. filtering out footpaths to include just bridleways and roads. Any ideas anyone, your help would be greatly appreciated. All this is in support of a local charity, I Choose Life Foundation. Thank you.
I'm a walker on the edge of my perception. We're all travellers at the edge of our perceptions.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Long Walk with a horse
« Reply #1 on: 22:22:15, 05/09/19 »
Ordnance survey Landranger 50k maps have to be your best option.  Just ignore the foot paths.   The bridle paths,  public and permisive are all shown in glorious easy to read colour.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:43:53, 06/09/19 »
Lincolnshire have very good 'access mapping' on their website.

Click-On "Activity" - You have a choice of mapping for :
Walking
Cycling
Riding etc etc

So it will show all of the rights of way which you are allowed to use with a horse :

Byeway
Restricted Byeway
Bridleway
Permissive Bridleway
Unmade Road
'Others'

http://row.lincolnshire.gov.uk/map.aspx?act=Walking

Maybe other local authorities on your planned route provide similar ?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:14:19, 16/12/19 »
The clickable map at opencyclemap.org shows bridleways in green, whereas footpaths are red, making it easy to pick routes using bridleways only.

Hmm - please ignore - doesn't identify whether farm tracks etc are bridleways. Fail.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:51:33, 17/12/19 »
The Equestrian Access Mapping site might be useful for some sections of the route, it shows rides and trails in England, Scotland and Wales.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy