Author Topic: Lightweight boots?  (Read 3315 times)

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Lightweight boots?
« on: 21:33:37, 26/05/08 »
Can anyone tell me if theres such a thing as lightweight boots,preferably leather that are also tough?I've had two pairs so far....the first were lovely and comfortable but my trip up Cadair Idris ruined those...the metal plate in the sole snapped whilst going over a rocky bit.Second pair were alot tougher and heavier or so i thought but again after going over rocky terrain the seams have split and the materials coming apart.I really didn't like having big heavy clodhoppers on anyway and so would like to invest in a good pair.Can anyone recommend some that are suitable for mountains and hills but don't weight ten tonnes?So far the lightest I've seen seem to be Brasher superlight but didn't know if they are tough enough..anyone know?

Cheers,Claire

yetanotherben

Re: Lightweight boots?
« Reply #1 on: 15:25:04, 13/06/08 »

Brasher are certainly a hardy pair to go for, and always a popular choice with walkers - maybe consider the Brasher Trailmaster / Hillmaster - depending on what you're going to put them through.

Also try the Womens Salomon Revo SCS GTX walking boots.

Let us know what you go for...

Ben
"Walking is man's best medicine..."
Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)

"Walking is man's and woman's best medicine..." or should it be "Walking is men's and women's best medicine..."???
Ben (1983 AD - Present Day)

http://www.cheaptents.com [nofollow] - Camping Equipment & Outdoor Shop

yetanotherben

« Reply #2 on: 15:30:16, 13/06/08 »

Has you're pic been Photoshopped - or do you always carry a halo with you when out walking?! 

"Walking is man's and woman's best medicine..." or should it be "Walking is men's and women's best medicine..."???

Skinny Walker

« Reply #3 on: 18:16:51, 13/06/08 »
Just a note, I have the Brasher Trailmasters and they are far from Lightweight!!

I only wear them when I need some pretty hefty support!!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:37:32, 13/06/08 »
Can anyone tell me if theres such a thing as lightweight boots,preferably leather that are also tough?

Not really, there's not a huge difference in weight between boots nowadays, full-on Alpine boots have become so light that it hardly makes a difference. I think my Lowa Mountain Experts that I use for high alpine stuff and climbing are only 100g heavier than the normal hiking boots I use, the difference is the stiffness and very little else and that difference doesn't take much extra weight to add.

muymalestado

« Reply #5 on: 20:53:34, 15/06/08 »
Personally ...   Fit, support, proofness, etc seem to be most important and outweigh (oops) the seeming light weight a boot may have. 

You can train and improve leg muscle tone to lift those boots, but you can't really exchange or remodel your feet.
I think this next one will be the top ...

yetanotherben

« Reply #6 on: 09:47:58, 16/06/08 »

Classic line:

"I think this next one will be the top ..."

Thanks for that - really made me chuckle!

jason22

« Reply #7 on: 07:39:48, 17/06/08 »
if your after leather and light weight give the brasher supalites a go, the name gives it away the only proplem is there not the worlds greatest support boot, also give the scarpa ranagers a shot.

jason

yetanotherben

« Reply #8 on: 10:22:51, 17/06/08 »
I'd certainly suppport the opinion of jason22, as the Scarpa Rangers are a great boot for waterproofness (Gore-Tex liner), with leather that's easily looked after - although they are reasonably lightweight, I'd have to add that they're designed for valley walking and rambling.  It really depends again on what you're going to put them through. 

Going to the other end of the spectrum, you could say that the Scarpa SL's would suit a more challenging style of hiking, but would increase in weight by 400g or so to 1600g.

If you don't mind moving away from leather walking boots, you could gain a great deal of weight back.  Something like the Berghaus Torc LX - lightweight (800g ish), Gore-Tex and a good foot hold.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy