Author Topic: 30th-31st August Ulpha to Green Crag via Grey Friar.  (Read 1838 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
A good weather forecast for the Bank holiday, well why not ? 2020 has been a pretty unusual year so I guess it should be expected.
And it was lovely as I parked on the spare ground near Ulpha School. The Pike is the hill in the background.
There was a slight Autumnal nip in the air which meant the views were clear and far reaching. My target for today is Grey  the rounded hill on the right.
Looking back along Park Head Rd to Stickle Pike.
The view across Dunnerdale with Harter Fell to the left, then Esk Pike and then the familiar mountain shape of Bowfell.
Caw maybe only 529 meters or just over 1700 ft in old money but from this side it's a real challenge and although there is a faint path I don't think I've ever climbed it the same way twice.
It's very hot work and I'm soon glowing nicely but the view from the top to England's highest ground is well worth the effort.
From Caw my onward route is laid out before me. Down over the small bump of Pikes and the up the slightly higher bump of White Pike then on to the even higher bump of Dow Crag which is in Shadow and then follow the skyline to Grey Friar on the left.
Heading down from Pikes towards White Pike. I crossed the very wet Caw Moss to climb up by the wall running up between White Pike and White Maiden over Lord's High Allotment..
Following the wall up.
And a look down to Caw Moss.
I had my sandwiches perched on the edge of White Pike looking over to Pikes and Caw.
From White Pike it's only a few minute walk to White Maiden from where I can see the path up to Brown Pike and the ridge to Dow Crag.
Dow Crag from the shortcut path between Goat's Hawse and Levers Hawse.
Levers Water from Levers Hawse.
I was originally going to follow the path up to Swirl How and Great Carrs but the climbs so far had me flagging a little here so I took the lower path around to the base of Grey Friar, passing above Seathwaite Tarn on the way.
Just Grey Friar to climb now.
Obligatory pic of the Matterhorn rock with Helvellyn and Fairfield beyond.
Later in the evening some interesting clouds formed over the Irish Sea.
Which were lit by the setting sun.
Harter Fell in shadow and the Isle of Man.
Just when I thought I wasn't going to see the sun it burst from the clouds for a couple of minutes.
Lighting up the Helvellyn fells.
And my tent.
And the summit rocks of Grey Friar.
The cloud is covering the sun now but the sky is still lovely over Ponsonby Fell.
And Seatallen and Haycock.
A cold night with even the possibility of frost was forecast but I didn't think it got that cold but the morning was lovely and fresh.
Rather than following the path down to Seathwaite Tarn I carried on over Troutal Fell and had an interesting  (and exciting ) descent to the road over Little Blake Rigg.
Just about to start the interesting bit. My aim today was to bag Green Crag seen here to the left of Harter Fell.
After crossing the river at Troutal Farm and climbing up to Birks I followed the forest road to it's conclusion and started on the very wet crossing to Green Crag.
Devoke Water seen from just before the final little climb to the summit of Green Crag seen here on the right.
Looking over Birker Fell to the sea. I just managed to get Devoke Water and Low Birker Tarn in the same shot.
The pointy Stickle Pike in the distance. I made my way back to Ulpha by way of White How an then the wall leading down to the Biker Fell road.
The trees and fields of Woodend with the fells around Devoke Water beyond.
Ulpha church is passed just before I arrive at my car.
My route was
 Day one Ulpha School - Kiln Bank Cross - Park Head Road - Caw - Pikes - Caw Moss - White Pike - White Maiden - Walna Scar - Brown Pike - Buck Pike - Dow Crag - Goat's Hawse - Wray Crags - Lever's Hawse - Fairfield - Grey Friar ( about 9.5 miles 4200 ft ascent ) Day two Troutal Fell - Little Blake Rigg - Troutal - Birks - Dunnerdale Forest - Ulpha Fell - Green Crag - White How - Birker Fell Rd  - Ulpha ( about 10 miles 1500 ft ascent )
Map

April

• Veteran Member
Re: 30th-31st August Ulpha to Green Crag via Grey Friar.
« Reply #1 on: 07:18:29, 04/09/20 »
Wonderful pics and write up Karl  O0 I especially like your Matterhorn Rock shot, always obligatory to take one  :)
Hate will never win

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:57:55, 04/09/20 »
Really good photo tour! My first visit to Green Crag ended up in thick fog, I visited a half dozen of the tops and left. Once home I found a photo of the Wainwright top and realised I hadnt been to it! On the re-visit all was clear, I must have walked within 20yds of the top and not seen it in the fog 

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:14:04, 04/09/20 »
Looks like you had two fantastic days weatherwise .... what a place to see the sunset!
Loved the Isle of Man shot.
« Last Edit: 22:36:46, 04/09/20 by Dodgylegs »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:14:40, 04/09/20 »
Sounds as if you had a wonderful meander, Karl. Loads of great photos there, difficult to choose a favourite.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:15:39, 04/09/20 »
Have I ever said "git"? 🤔 Superb pics again.
Was it coincidence you went there when a and b were in Jockland?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:28:56, 04/09/20 »
Wonderful pics and write up Karl  O0 I especially like your Matterhorn Rock shot, always obligatory to take one  :)
Thanks April  :)  I keep meaning to take some Lego men then I can take a pic of  some Matterhorn climbers  ;D

Really good photo tour! My first visit to Green Crag ended up in thick fog, I visited a half dozen of the tops and left. Once home I found a photo of the Wainwright top and realised I hadnt been to it! On the re-visit all was clear, I must have walked within 20yds of the top and not seen it in the fog 
Cheers Windyrigg  O0  Green Crag is like that, you think every little bump is the top but there is always one higher just around the corner  ;D

Looks like you had two fantastic days weatherise .... what a place to see the sunset!
Loved the Isle of Man shot.
Thanks Dodgylegs O0  It's always nice to see the Isle of Man ;)

Sounds as if you had a wonderful meander, Karl. Loads of great photos there, difficult to choose a favourite.
Thanks Richard O0  It was a great day on Sunday for long range views and photos

Have I ever said "git"? 🤔 Superb pics again.
Was it coincidence you went there when a and b were in Jockland?

Ta Pleb. I think you might have mentioned it once or twice ;D

The Lakes is a lot nicer now the riff raff have moved north :P ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:32:59, 04/09/20 »
Lovely walk, lovely pics, lovely weather.  Not at all jealous. Nope, no sireee  ::)

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:40:01, 04/09/20 »
Lovely walk, lovely pics, lovely weather.  Not at all jealous. Nope, no sireee  ::)
Nothing to be jealous of Mel. It was rubbish, hated every minute,couldn't wait to get home  ;D

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:28:42, 06/09/20 »
Great report and photos Karl, really like the helvellyn fells shot O0

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:10:25, 06/09/20 »
Great report and photos Karl, really like the helvellyn fells shot O0
Thanks Henry O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:30:32, 09/09/20 »
Lovely pics Karl, was it really as deserted as it looks or were you just lucky when taking photos?

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:50:55, 10/09/20 »
Lovely pics Karl, was it really as deserted as it looks or were you just lucky when taking photos?

Thanks Ridge O0  The Dunnerdale fells were quiet as they usually are but unsurprisingly from the Walna Scar crossroads up to Levers Hawse there were quite a few people about, that's why there are no pics from Dow Crag :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy