Author Topic: New 'quality' fleece or not bother?  (Read 5265 times)

Ronin83

New 'quality' fleece or not bother?
« on: 19:40:39, 03/01/19 »
I've been thinking about midayers.
Considering on the salkantay trek to machu pichu(going in April) gets down to a possible -10°c, hopefully not that cold in April, I was looking into down jackets, but ive ruled them out and never particularly liked them anyway.

I have a fair collection of fleeces already. My concern is will I be warm enough? My plan is...icebreaker merino baselayer, t-shirt, fleece then waterproof jacket on top.
I reckon that'll be more than enough whilst hiking, but when stopping? By camp at night? I do have a big warm, waterproof coat, but that would add considerable weight, not pack small etc.

So...now im thinking about buying a good quality heavy fleece. Im not sure if im just being fussy. Ive always thought a fleece is a fleece. I have found this...

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/juell-pile-jacket-51806

Which i particularly like the look of as it has thinner material under the arms to stop sweating so much(I run hot when walking), but LOOKS super fluffy and warm.
Other than polartec 100,200,300 how can you tell the warmth? Does the 'pile' make a difference?

What do people think?
Thanks

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: New 'quality' fleece or not bother?
« Reply #1 on: 20:08:29, 03/01/19 »

I can't comment on the pile jacket that you mention, but I am certainly a fan of fibre pile. I currently have two jackets that I would describe as a fleece outer layer with fibre pile on the inside. These were pretty cheap, one made by Regatta, and one by Hoggs of Fife. With a shell jacket over the top, they are pretty warm, but they are not the lightest. I also wear fibre pile salopettes in winter - toasty!

Also - have you looked at the Buffalo range of fibre pile/pertex jackets?
http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/mountain-jacket/

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:29:37, 03/01/19 »
I've been thinking about midayers.
Considering on the salkantay trek to machu pichu(going in April) gets down to a possible -10°c, hopefully not that cold in April, I was looking into down jackets, but ive ruled them out and never particularly liked them anyway.

Why did you rule them out?  Probably the best solution.
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:35:13, 03/01/19 »
Down jackets are the bees knees. Ultra light,  very warm, very small pack space if not needed on the body. Topped with a waterproof layer and over a decent base layer ( or two if very very cold.)
lb for £ down is the best.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ronin83

« Reply #4 on: 21:09:08, 03/01/19 »
Down jackets don't breathe and wick when active, they suck when they get wet(with sweat or damp as well as rain), they damage very easily, decent ones, especially with hydrodown or whatever, are expensive, they're too puffy under my waterproof and I don't like the feel of them against my skin if Im wearing a t-shirt underneath.

I've seen insulation sticking out of down jackets all the time. I don't really want a jacket which is only useful in dry cold whilst not moving and being careful what i brush against.

Enough reasons?

Ronin83

« Reply #5 on: 21:17:08, 03/01/19 »
To add, I do understand theyre super light and compactible.
I also don't really like the use of down on moral grounds.

Regarding buffalo...
Like I said I have a big warm waterproof coat, but I'm trying to stick with layering so I don't have to take it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:51:35, 03/01/19 »
Down jackets don't breathe and wick when active, they suck when they get wet(with sweat or damp as well as rain), they damage very easily, decent ones, especially with hydrodown or whatever, are expensive, they're too puffy under my waterproof and I don't like the feel of them against my skin if Im wearing a t-shirt underneath.

I've seen insulation sticking out of down jackets all the time. I don't really want a jacket which is only useful in dry cold whilst not moving and being careful what i brush against.

Enough reasons?

Not really as you were talking about in camp etc. For that they're perfect. As for the ethical side, buy synthetic  O0
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:58:13, 03/01/19 »
To add, I do understand theyre super light and compactible.
I also don't really like the use of down on moral grounds.

Regarding buffalo...
Like I said I have a big warm waterproof coat, but I'm trying to stick with layering so I don't have to take it.

Fair comment about Buffalo.

I too share your dislike of down. This stems from a night spent camping with the cadet force when I was 15 - I had a huge US Marines arctic issue down bag that was my fathers. Unfortunately it rained torrentially in the night, and the old canvas army tents didn't have groundsheets (we were using old army capes). The ground was awash and it was like lying in a wet sponge. Eventually we abandoned the camp and spent the night in the hay loft of a barn above some cows. This was my first night ever camping - it is a wonder that I wasn't put off for life!

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:00:18, 03/01/19 »
I agree with you regards down. In the UK especially its just too damp so if you are out for longer than a simple day they are a nightmare to keep dry.

From my own experience of using pile I used buffalo and montane extreme jackets and both work well but the downside is the weight.

As an alternative to look at Rab Vapour Rise is a good lightweight warm mid layer that you might want to have a look at.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:55:41, 03/01/19 »
The initial post and link to the HH pile fleece reminds me of the types that were common in the 70s - which seemed to be much thicker than the present fleece materials.
Seem to think they were made by North Cape or Javelin (or maybe both companies produced similar). Presumably, despite the older ones looking fluffier the modern materials give better performance ?

Apologies for moving off subject. I do like the look of that HH item though.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

staggerindragon

« Reply #10 on: 00:34:49, 04/01/19 »
When we ski in -10C temperatures, and are very active, the usual sport layers (merino/fleece) work well.  However, we always carry bigger puffy coats for lunch stops.

I walk to work in all weather and around -10, I start wearing my favorite wind blocking, fleece lined hiking trousers, merino top and a lightweight puffy coat under a wind breaking layer. If there's any kind of breeze, I don't get that sweaty, really, but you're right.  They're less breathable. I have both synthetic and down with down winning for warmth. As it gets colder, ski pants and a heavier coat go on, and I'm happy if I work my way up to sweatiness.  ;)

What about coming up with a combo of base/fleece/puffy gear that you could adjust based on conditions?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:51:26, 04/01/19 »
If I'm camping or just standing around at -10c I want an insulated jacket - down or synthetic.

Trying to keep warm at those temps, when stopped, using fleece or pile would mean carrying way too much weight and wearing too many layers to be comfy.

If you're worried about wet weather performance then Paramo do insulated jackets that wick, breath and deal with rain to a extent. Although isnt Machu Pichu cold and dry?
« Last Edit: 00:55:52, 04/01/19 by NeilC »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:35:57, 04/01/19 »
@ Ronin

Why not compromise and get a down (or synthetic) padded gilet just for camp use?

eg: https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/the-henry-padded-mens-gilet-p15081.aspx/Black/?rrec=true
« Last Edit: 07:41:52, 04/01/19 by richardh1905 »

Ronin83

« Reply #13 on: 08:25:12, 04/01/19 »
If I'm camping or just standing around at -10c I want an insulated jacket - down or synthetic.

Trying to keep warm at those temps, when stopped, using fleece or pile would mean carrying way too much weight and wearing too many layers to be comfy.

If you're worried about wet weather performance then Paramo do insulated jackets that wick, breath and deal with rain to a extent. Although isnt Machu Pichu cold and dry?

Yeh paramo stuff looks awesome, but im not looking to spend that kind of money right now, especially on something which I don't need (other than for the salkantay).

Ronin83

« Reply #14 on: 08:30:31, 04/01/19 »
@ Ronin

Why not compromise and get a down (or synthetic) padded gilet just for camp use?

eg: https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/the-henry-padded-mens-gilet-p15081.aspx/Black/?rrec=true

Now I did consider that. I always think theres too much material/insulation under arm on most tops. You really don't need anything clogging up your pits. Can't say I've never longed for warmer arms.

Would a warm down gilet really be so much lighter than a fleece one though?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy