Author Topic: What bag and shoes for long walking distances (had to quit 62mile walk due pain)  (Read 2105 times)

walkinglv

Hello guys,

I have recently participated in a long walk around 62 miles with the time limit to finish in less than 24 hours. Unfortunately, when I did hit 37 miles I had to leave the walk due to foot and back pain.  Mostly foot/leg pain.

Since when I was a kid I knew that my foot is 'kinda a flat as doctors said that' and it gets tired easily which affects my health, then turns into a headache and dizziness.

Around 3 years ago I bought my boots in the decathlon and they're good boots in general (good strength for ankle and Goretex), however for the long trekking conditions my foot is in pain.

What would you suggest to do? To get new shoes or get orthopedic insoles for flat feet instead?

How about the backpack, how can I know if the backpack is the right one? For example about the support for hips and shoulders?

Thank you in advance.

Ronin83

Firstly that is some serious distance so pain is quite normal. I doubt I would make it as far as you did anyway.

Personally for long distance on mostly flat ground(basically not difficult hills/mountains) I find most boots restrict natural gait and prevent important flexing of the joints. Freeing up your ankles and feet helps blood flow and prevents atrophy. Works for me.
So weather permitting, you cant beat a comfy pair of trainers, maybe with good cushioning for that kind of distance.

The other possible route is barefoot shoes. I'm still experimenting myself, but my girlfriend has flat, wide feet and has found instant relief from them. I bought her Merrell trail glove 4 and she loves them.
Another brand is altra which have thick cushioning, unlike most others.
Barefoot shoes are zero drop, meaning no heel/forefoot height difference so your posture is like being barefoot and have wide toe boxes.

Its an expensive experiment if it doesn't work out for you though.

Ronin83

Bags...
Im no expert, but I do get back/neck pain and the chest and waist straps are so important, especially the chest strap.

MichaelUK

I have a pair of Altberg Tetheras, wore them on Saturday, 45 mile walk over the moors\hills. Also have an Osprey Atmos 50Ltr pack which is very comfortable. Again I used it on the long walk with about 5Kgs weight in it. Apart from the heat my feet, legs and back felt fine. I also have a pair of Oboz trail shoues which I have worn on a 30 mile hike with 11kg weight in my pack. I find these a little warm

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Get an appointment with a fully qualified podiatrist  they tend to know more about your feet once examined than any amount of mates on anonymous forums.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ronin83

I have a pair of Altberg Tetheras, wore them on Saturday, 45 mile walk over the moors\hills. Also have an Osprey Atmos 50Ltr pack which is very comfortable. Again I used it on the long walk with about 5Kgs weight in it. Apart from the heat my feet, legs and back felt fine. I also have a pair of Oboz trail shoues which I have worn on a 30 mile hike with 11kg weight in my pack. I find these a little warm

::) theres always one.
MichaelUK, you might be able to do this with no pain(freak!) But most of us mere mortals would really suffer. Some people are just better at running, cycling, walking, lifting weights or whatever. We have different natural abilities. Add to that the amount of training we've had, our upbringing etc and there's a lot of variation.
Either that or we just all need tetheras. I do think we all need some altbergs in our lives.
Trip to Yorkshire!!

MichaelUK

Well if you do go phone ahead to make sure they have them in stock. I went down in May, my 60th birthday present. Was measured up, tried the boots on, perfect fit. Unfortunately they were not for sale! Annoyed to say the least. A 45 mile trip. I ordered the same day from Taunton Leisure, next day delivery and £20 cheaper. I did the Yorkshire Three Peaks in them second time out in them.
« Last Edit: 20:05:24, 10/07/18 by MichaelUK »

Ronin83

Well if you do go phone ahead to make sure they have them in stock. I went down in May, my 60th birthday present. Was measured up, tried the boots on, perfect fit. Unfortunately they were not for sale! Annoyed to say the least. A 45 mile trip. I ordered the same day from Taunton Leisure, next day delivery and £20 cheaper. I did the Yorkshire Three Peaks in them second time out in them.

45 mile walk at 60 years old? Dude!

Not for sale? I believe they will make them though right?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Get an appointment with a fully qualified podiatrist  they tend to know more about your feet once examined than any amount of mates on anonymous forums.

Do this. Everybody's feet are different so get some expert advice.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Gbrunsdon

Looking to buy new boots - wondered whats so special about Altbergs?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Looking to buy new boots - wondered whats so special about Altbergs?

They are a well made British boot, available in a wide range of width fittings, so better chance of a really good fitting. They are expensive, and you can at even greater expense go to factory and get a pair made to measure (I think).

I assume if you go to one of their recommended suppliers, that it will be a place with a qualified boot fitter..so unlikely to come away with a poor fitting pair.

I’ve never had a pair myself, but can’t remember seeing anybody who has bought them ever moaning about quality of boot or after-service.

FOX160

45 miles few sounds like you on a quest! I would break your walk down with plenty of breaks and water.
You could look at getting better insoles for your boots and try walking poles will transfer the weight and
Posture.

What bag would depend on your kit weight so a lightweight bag will be near
as useless and uncomfortable carrying heavy kit.
Footwear well if you need lighter then look at a material waterproof boot/shoe which will be near half the weight of a leather boot/shoe but if on rocky ground me personally I would use leather.

Best is to take the info and take your kit to a shop and try some bags with your stuff in and regarding footwear go to a good shop and try it out for as long as it takes.

My boots are Scarpa Terra GTX super comfy and didn’t have to break them in.
My bag is a Hyberg Attila X 55L frameless pack 625g love it very comfy and supportive but will be no good with heavy kit weight.
« Last Edit: 09:12:40, 14/07/18 by FOX160 »

Kukkudrill

They are a well made British boot, available in a wide range of width fittings, so better chance of a really good fitting. They are expensive, and you can at even greater expense go to factory and get a pair made to measure (I think).

I assume if you go to one of their recommended suppliers, that it will be a place with a qualified boot fitter..so unlikely to come away with a poor fitting pair.

I’ve never had a pair myself, but can’t remember seeing anybody who has bought them ever moaning about quality of boot or after-service.

Does Altberg still refuse to provide any guarantee, other than that the boots will be in good condition when they reach you?
Make the most of the available light

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Does Altberg still refuse to provide any guarantee, other than that the boots will be in good condition when they reach you?

I think the definitive answer on this was previously posted here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34052.msg491108#msg491108

Guarantee

Altberg's limited guarantee is to the original purchaser and is non transferable. It guarantees that as of the date of purchase the boots are free from defects of manufacturing, materials or components.

A precondition of the warranty is the proper usage and treatment of the boots as well their proper care (see instructions).

NOT included in the warranty are normal wear and tear, as well as results of improper usage, wilful damage, the lack of proper care and treatment, or faulty adjustment and modifications.

In the event of a justified warranty claim we shall provide the original purchaser (which may be the retailer) with our choice of a repair or a replacement.

Honoring a guarantee will not prolong the original warranty period.

I've never personally had a problem with any of their boots I've owned and don't know anyone who has but if you do I honestly don't believe there would be a problem getting any genuine problem resolved.

I think the reason behind their limited guarantee is the extremely wide range of types of customer they have and the extremely wide range of use their boots get put to ranging from military to police and security to walkers and motorcycle riders with repeated daily use/wear ranging from anything from a couple of hours a day to over 8 hours a day every day in all weathers. I think it would be very difficult to provide an unlimited guarantee which covers all the possible scenarios. It's obviously down to each customer to decide whether the terms of the guarantee provided are acceptable to them or not.

Kukkudrill

I can see their point of view, and I'd be willing to rely on their honesty, but in the correspondence I had with Altberg (quoted in the thread you link to), they refused to take any responsibility for leaks post-delivery - even for boots that have seen limited use and have been well cared for. For me this is the deal-breaker, because even boots in good condition can start to leak.
Make the most of the available light

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy