Author Topic: Helvellyn & Scafell Pike  (Read 760 times)

branchini1979

Helvellyn & Scafell Pike
« on: 08:04:07, 11/02/20 »
I am looking at making the long trek from Essex to the Lakes in May, and looking to climb both Helvellyn & Scafell Pike.

Any advice would be welcome.

I have looked on Google Maps and it looks like Grasmere & Rydal are like in between the two. Would you recommend staying in these places as basis of doing the two climbs?

I am looking at 2 nights to do this, so to allow 2 full days for the 2 climbs, or should I do 3 and allow myself a chill rest day?

Again if anyone has done these 2 climbs in trip any advise is welcome.

Thank you

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Helvellyn & Scafell Pike
« Reply #1 on: 12:01:00, 11/02/20 »
It depends which route you are taking up Scafell Pike.  We stayed in Rosthwaite and did Scafell Pike from Seathwaite. But we didn't do Helvellyn as well. If you are doing that route you may be better off staying in Keswick. You don't say if you have transport? Depending on your experience in the hills you may be better off having a rest day in between. Also the extra day gives you a bit more flexibility if the weather’s not great.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:31:55, 11/02/20 »
You would be better off staying in the Keswick area, in my opinion - handy for Borrowdale, for Scafell Pike, and also not too big a drive over to Glenridding, for a variety of interesting ways up Helvellyn. And allow an extra day for rest/bad weather.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:10:25, 11/02/20 »
Agreed that Keswick would be a better halfway house than Grasmere or Rydal.

I think staying at either end, Borrowdale or Glenridding, would be fine too.

I recently drove from Glenridding to Borrowdale, at around 8pm on a Friday evening, it took a little over 40 minutes.

branchini1979

« Reply #4 on: 15:00:12, 11/02/20 »
Thank you guys,

Just looking on a map, Rydal & Grasmere looked like a good halfway point to the 2 peaks but obviously not taking into account the best starting routes up the mountains.

I will be doing a very long drive from Essex, so did not plan to drive to more than one campsite, but if you guys suggest that is best then will look into that :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy