Author Topic: Advide please - lightweight summer breathable waterproof  (Read 4574 times)

AFANASIEW

Re: Advide please - lightweight summer breathable waterproof
« Reply #30 on: 17:52:11, 13/03/19 »
The Berghaus Hyper 100 is extremely light and breathable. Probably the best of its type.
Thanks Neil, I followed your advice. Tested it in the rain for just half an hour yesterday - perfectly dry underneath and not in the least clammy. Most grateful for the suggestion.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 18:47:55, 13/03/19 »
I'm now thinking about rain in a completely different way than I have done in the past. For me now, rain is a 'stand alone' problem, little or nothing to do with other weathers. I have concluded by my experience with Poncho and rain skirts, that it is possible to buy effectively and cheap, to solve the rain problem,  without having to spend big money!

I can now buy any clothing that I may want and like, without even having to consider whether its waterproof or not. Its too late in the day for me though, I have already spent out on an expensive waterproof jacket so I hope that my experience, especially if you are planning to buy new gear thinking as they say, outside of the box, can save you a packet!. If you have the money and want to spend big that's fine, but I know that there is an alternative way of looking at the matter.

I have now bought a £15 long waterproof Champion single skin coat with a hood. The hood is really clever, I can secure it in three different ways depending on how bad the downpour is. I tried it out in real rain yesterday, it was bucketing down and very windy as well, the coat worked just as I wanted it to. Underneath my waterproof, I just wore my shirt and warm jacket and that was it.

To work properly (that is to be dry and to stay dry) I have to use my gaiters, which I would use when wet anyway. The principle is like the tiles on a roof, rain on the coat, drips onto the gaiters and then onto the floor.

My cheap coat is not perfect, unfortunately in my case the hem should be about 2" longer to ensure that even in wind the hem does not rise up above the tops of my gaiters. I can fix that, a friend can sew on a extended hem for me, or I can weight the hem, or both. I'll be ready with it by the April meet.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 20:44:26, 15/03/19 »
Thanks Neil, I followed your advice. Tested it in the rain for just half an hour yesterday - perfectly dry underneath and not in the least clammy. Most grateful for the suggestion.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the hyper 100 on your walk to John o groats

Suffered some torrential wind driven rain in Lochgoilhead last Tuesday, my Lhotse took it all in its stride, as did my berghaus deluge trousers. Even managed a 4 mile run in the Lhotse!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

AFANASIEW

« Reply #33 on: 22:14:58, 15/03/19 »

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the hyper 100 on your walk to John o groats

Suffered some torrential wind driven rain in Lochgoilhead last Tuesday, my Lhotse took it all in its stride, as did my berghaus deluge trousers. Even managed a 4 mile run in the Lhotse!
I'll be doing a blog and, all being well, an e-book.
I'll see the family every 3 weeks or so, making swap outs possible so, if the Hyper 100 fails, I could switch to the Llotse. At a point where the leg muscles have strengthened to happily take the extra 1lb weight, hopefully.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:55:33, 16/03/19 »
Have a look at stuff by OMM or Inov8 if you really want to shave weight. Thing is, most assume you are going to be running and thus have a strong heat gradient to push water. I have an inov8 one that is about 100g - it's fine when I'm running, but I wouldn't want to walk all day in the rain with it.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy