Author Topic: Carnedd Llewelyn route  (Read 26980 times)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: Carnedd Llewelyn route
« Reply #30 on: 17:35:17, 29/08/13 »

Its quite clear by your statement that you are not as familiar with this area as i am.
My house overlooks these mountains, even as i write this thread the mountains are thick with heavy mist with stong prevailing SW winds.

The reason i throw caution into my threads on the Carneddau,is because i know them far better than vertually everyone on this walking forum.

The Carneddau are my fauvorite area of Snowdonia, ive seen them in the depth of Winter and in all weathers,i know them better than most people.
::)

I guess you haven't even looked at my Wales walks on my site judging by you statement. Are you better in knowledge than most people on the forum? That's very good of you to say so.

I've deleted yet another of your irrelevant posts - boots etc have nothing to do with Carneddau routes as L&D requested.

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 18:27:56, 29/08/13 »
It just goes to show your lack of knowledge and experience whilst walking in certain parts of Wales.
I live almost in the mountains,you live in Manchester,and you still claim to know the Carneddau better than i do.
I very much doubt that.
Ive visited every summit in the Carneddau far more times than i care to remember, ive completed various routes that are not even on the map.
When i write about these mountains i write from experience, experience i want to pass on to people who may never have visited this part of Wales.
Deleting a comment because it annoys you,only shows your lack of knowledge and inability to back it up with a coherent argument.
Enough of that, the Carneddau offer the walker a great opportunity to explore and experience Snowdonia at its best, with perfect solitude.

No one including yourself can denie that.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:42:25, 29/08/13 »

Deleting a comment because it annoys you,only shows your lack of knowledge and inability to back it up with a coherent argument.

Zzzz

So pray tell us all what part of a post about boots or shoes has anything to do with the request for Carneddau route information. On second thoughts please don't.

BRW the spellcheck button is a handy tool to use before posting.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:10:31, 29/08/13 »
...trainers or boots, that's the question on everyone's lips...
;D
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 22:18:39, 29/08/13 »
(not meant to be relevant, just amusing, hope it hit the spot with some of you).
solvitur ambulando

Oldstephen

« Reply #35 on: 00:09:51, 30/08/13 »
Despite the comments about Llandudnoboy's postings I tried his route yesterday (Wed) to get away from the crowds (did you see the pics of the queues on Snowdon on Monday?).  Sure enough I didn't see a soul for 3 hours, mind you I set off from Gerlan at 6.30 am.

The first part of the route is a bit tedious, wading through chest-high reeds until the first knob of the ridge then it's easy straight up to Yr Elen and Llewelyn.  I had brilliant weather and saw my Brocken Spectre several times in the cloud pockets below the ridge as I walked round to Dafydd and Pen-yr-ole-wen and unchained my bike at the foot of the E ridge track and cycled back down to Bethesda. Nice to get up there again after missing the Oggie8 this year.
...because it's there.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 07:46:11, 30/08/13 »
Great Brocken piccie!
solvitur ambulando

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 11:57:23, 31/08/13 »
One of the rarest events in mountain weather, a Brocken Specter.
Conditions of light,density of low cloud and mist and temperature all have to be spot on, and then you have to be in the right position for your shadow to be cast within the cloud.

Very envious that you were able to be in a position with a camera to capture such a glorious photograph.

According to Colin Pledgley in his various Guides on Mountain Weather, he has only encountered this weather associated effect once,in his many years of mountain photography.

I do hope you realise this was possibly a once in a lifetime event,it happens very rarely in nature,all because temperature,light etc have to be just right for it to happen.

Thank You for making my day.

Jelous as hell.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 15:06:04, 31/08/13 »
I've had two - more common than you think especially in Broken

Oldstephen

« Reply #39 on: 19:28:35, 31/08/13 »
I am fortunate enough to have seen several spectres.  It's just a mater of getting the sun behind you and the cloud below, usually in the lee of a ridge.  I have seen two previously this year, one on Crib Goch and one on the Glyders.  This one was actually on Crib Goch in Jan 12:
...because it's there.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 20:12:40, 31/08/13 »
I've seen a (my) Brocken Spectre twice - about ten years between occasions but both times within about 100 metres (Bwlch Glas on Snowdon).

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 20:16:35, 31/08/13 »
You won't see one if you only ever go up when it's not misty....
solvitur ambulando

iiswoz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 20:38:03, 31/08/13 »
I got one too 8)

Honi soit qui mal y pense

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 21:35:34, 31/08/13 »
If one actually realised how rare the atmospheric conditions have to be for this event to take place,everyone here would be amazed.
We are discussing Brocken Specters as if they are a regular occurrance.
Colin Pledgley an experienced meteorologist and writer has only experienced one in all the years he has been studying the mountain weather.
Those here who have seen one this year or fairly recently,should continue to buy their lottery tickets, their luck seems to be in at the moment.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 21:38:40, 31/08/13 »
Maybe Colin only ventures out in nice weather?  ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy