Author Topic: Carnedd Llewelyn route  (Read 26980 times)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: Carnedd Llewelyn route
« Reply #45 on: 23:09:00, 31/08/13 »
So rare that many forum members have seen them.

My aren't we the lucky ones.  ;)

Oldstephen

« Reply #46 on: 00:23:47, 01/09/13 »
I'm out every week in all conditions so I suppose by the law of averages I might see more spectres than the occasional walker, but I find them fascinating and always look out for possible Brocken conditions. I really don't think they are as rare as some are making out.
...because it's there.

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 19:03:44, 01/09/13 »
If anyone wants to have a look at any of Colin Pledgleys books on Mountain Weather and Navigation,he gives a very interesting explanation on how a Brocken Spectre actually occurs.
The fact that quite a few of us have seen them still does not take away the fact that they are very rare atmospheric events.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 19:11:39, 01/09/13 »

The fact that quite a few of us have seen them still does not take away the fact that they are very rare atmospheric events.

they're an even rarer event for someone like yourself who only goes out in fine weather

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 19:17:04, 01/09/13 »
Here's mine.  Lost the best of it before I could whip the camera out:

It would seem to be more an 'occasional' phenomenon, rather than a 'rare' one.
My dad has a friend who has been walking with him maybe 3 times in 40 years.  He's seen a Brocken.
He likes to tell people 'most hill walkers will go their whole lives without seeing one'.

(Unless there on WF, it would seem).
solvitur ambulando

Oldstephen

« Reply #50 on: 20:33:28, 01/09/13 »
Classic Brocken Spectre conditions:
...because it's there.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 21:54:44, 01/09/13 »
Here's one of mine - conditions as Stephens -

and hey presto...

BTW I see them all the time when flying to work ::) - google Brocken Spectre images and you'll see plenty of planebrocken spectres.

I expect the people of Brocken are sick of the sight of them most days...

Back to the subject here's the Carneddau in winter with not much to see...easy navigation though ;)

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/day/wales/YrElen.htm

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 12:17:00, 02/09/13 »
Nice photographs. 

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 12:55:52, 02/09/13 »
Certain forum members seem to have forgotten that i am not a walker,i gave that up nearly 24 yrs ago.
I share my experiences with other forum members because i know Snowdonia extremely well, its just that i have seen what others have seen at a much faster pace.
Walkers seek out hostile weather, sombody who runs over the same ground as the walker,with sense avoids hostile weather, because it places too many barriers in their way.

I like to see where i am going at all times, so i only venture into the mountains in fine weather, that to me makes sense.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 13:50:39, 02/09/13 »
Certain forum members seem to have forgotten that i am not a walker,

Well you've come to the wrong place then, haven't you?

Must dash, I'm off to check 'Mumsnet'.
solvitur ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 14:23:52, 02/09/13 »
Certain forum members seem to have forgotten that i am not a walker,i gave that up nearly 24 yrs ago.

Well that explains a lot then ... particularly some if not most of your 'advice'  ::)

Perhaps you should caveat all of your posts with that statement  :-\
Where there's a will ...

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #56 on: 21:31:43, 25/01/14 »
Hi guys,

Got a couple of days in the Carneddau in early April providing the weather behaves.

Got a question regarding the gully up to Pen Yr Ole Wen from Ffynnon Lloer.

Is the gully OK to descend as well as ascend? The reason I ask is that we may get there around noon on the day we arrive once we've put the tent up. I'm thinking of our first walk being just up to Ffynnon Lloer as a recce to find the gully and way up Pen Yr Ole Wen for the next day walk of Pen Yr Ole Wen, Daffydd and Llewelyn.

If we find the gully OK I may get up to Pen Yr Ole Wen and come back down the same way and leave Daffydd and Llewellyn for an early start the next day. Any thoughts, experiences?

Cheers.

O0
Twitter: @jonesibfc

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 10:11:06, 26/01/14 »
the gully up is ok never been down it though but should be ok but you could just as easily go to dafydd from there and bear right down the grassy slope and follow the little stream back down to the lake just be carefull of the grags above the lake obviously this a route for good visibility O0 O0
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 10:16:23, 26/01/14 »
That's what I was going to suggest.  There isn't much work to do to visit Dafydd from P.y.O.W, then just keep heading east onto the ridge, and descend the ground named 'Rhos Bodesi' on the map, probably from about the point on the ridge where the map gridlines cross.

You could descend the gully without any great difficulty, there are no hard moves.  You might find the top of it hard to locate in decent, so take good note of what the terrain behind you looks like when you ascend.  Getting it wrong would mean finding yourself on dangerous ground.
solvitur ambulando

Gary

« Reply #59 on: 10:24:34, 26/01/14 »
Been up and down the gully a good number of times and no problem either way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy