Author Topic: Carnedd Llewelyn route  (Read 26979 times)

Cacodemon

Carnedd Llewelyn route
« on: 14:32:54, 22/08/13 »
Hi all,

First post and all that. Looking for advice as to the best route up Carnedd Llewelyn? I'm a hiker and not a climber but do enjoy the odd easy scramble. :)

Am I right in thinking the best bet is to park on the A5 near the lake and take it from there? Heading towards Ffynnon Llugwy?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: Carnedd Llewelyn route
« Reply #1 on: 18:16:37, 22/08/13 »
My favourite is the classic up pen yr ole wen from Ogwen cottage and round the horseshoe. You can walk back along a nice path on the far side of the lake to the road.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #2 on: 18:42:22, 22/08/13 »
Thanks for asking this Cacodemon, I've just spent the last hour or so looking into routes for Carnedd Llewlyn and Pen Yr Ole Wen from the A5 myself as we'll soon be stopping there.

I've been looking into the possibility of starting at Glan Dena on the eastern side of Llyn Ogwen and following the Afon Lloer up to Ffynnon Lloer and reaching the summit of Pen Yr Ole Wen, then on to Carnedd Llewelyn.

Problem is I don't know how you'd get up to Pen Yr Ole Wen from Ffynnon Lloer but I believe is is possible, just find the easiest route in a westerly direction from the lake I guess.

From Carnedd Llewelyn I'd be descending via Ffynnon Llugwy but again I'm unsure about the ridge just above it, looks very steep on both sides (arete?) so I'm hoping for a couple of answers myself.

Hope I haven't hijacked your thread but I've been having the same thoughts myself this evening.

:)
Twitter: @jonesibfc

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:53:47, 22/08/13 »
By far the best approach to Lewellyn is via Cwm Llafar from Bethesda.
This is a walk only to be attempted in fine weather,because Carnedd Lewellyn is one of the most challenging summits to navigate in the mist.
It's only 80 ft lower than Snowdon,so this is one big mountain, the third highest outside of Scotland, it deserves respect.

The easiest way up is via the Fynnon Llygwy Reservoir road, which is on the A5 around 4 miles from Ogwen Cottage.

An approach from Ogwen Cottage is a good one,but its a long walk and so dependant on good weather, navigation from Carnedd Dafydd to Lewellyn is not easy,and its very exposed to bad weather.

Here's my top three favourite ways up Lewellyn

1. Cwm Eigiau - from either the Craig yr Ysfa quarry route or the longer far more enjoyable route,which is possibly the easiest way up the mountain.
2. The Cwm Llafar Horseshoe, a walk with few equals in Northern Snowdonia.
3. Lewellyn via Yr Elen, parking your car in Gerlan.

Ogwen cottage is ok, but to really experience the magnificence of the third highest mountain out of Scotland, a less busy route is advisable.

That approach via Yr Elen is a gorgeous alternative, and its always very quiet.

Which ever route you eventually go for, make sure the weather forecast is good,because  for someone totally new to the Carneddau navigation in poor weather is possibly more challenging in the Carneddau than any other area of Snowdonia.

I envy you, your first trip up Lewellyn, I wish I could turn the clock back and experience one of my fauvourite mountains for the first time.

Good Luck  and keep safe.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:57:02, 22/08/13 »

Problem is I don't know how you'd get up to Pen Yr Ole Wen from Ffynnon Lloer but I believe is is possible, just find the easiest route in a westerly direction from the lake I guess.

You'll find a corner where you'll see this - go up here:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2330818
solvitur ambulando

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:58:33, 22/08/13 »
the way up from ogwen onto pen yr ole wen is as you said up by the way of the afon lloer turning left before the lake and following a path up through a gully it does involve a little bit of a scramble but i did it and i am not the best this is a nice way up and i really enjoyed it . the way down on the other side is a scramble as well pretty straight forward with a path down all classed as a simple scramble hope you enjoy it up there it is a good day out regards mark O0 O0
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:13:48, 22/08/13 »
Blimey Joester, that's exactly the kind of very tricky rock scramble I managed to find myself on, except I was 2500 ft above sea level, and had no option but to continue on rocky ground that I had no idea where it went.

Scary for timid little me.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:24:27, 22/08/13 »
I did it from Abergwyngregyn once - great to start at sea level! That was a camping trip though. It makes a great linear route if you start there and finish at Capel.
In fact I once did from Penmaenmawr to Beddgelert - brilliant trip!
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:54:31, 22/08/13 »
Blimey Joester, that's exactly the kind of very tricky rock scramble I managed to find myself on, except I was 2500 ft above sea level, and had no option but to continue on rocky ground that I had no idea where it went.

Scary for timid little me.

That's the established start of the lovely little scramble that gets you on to PyOW's east ridge.  It isn't as severe as it appears in the photo.  (Surely you have been up there?).  It's like climbing a ladder,  and there is little or no exposure.
solvitur ambulando

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #9 on: 20:21:18, 22/08/13 »

That's the established start of the lovely little scramble that gets you on to PyOW's east ridge.  It isn't as severe as it appears in the photo.  (Surely you have been up there?).  It's like climbing a ladder,  and there is little or no exposure.

Um, is there a less severe way up from the lake?

:D
Twitter: @jonesibfc

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:39:15, 22/08/13 »

Not unless you slog NNE straight up to the ridgeline, and then skirt anti-clockwise all the way around, past Dafydd's summit.

Really though, the scramble is pips.Ah, good old Rambling Pete, here's a better view of the way up:

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/day/wales/thecarneddau.htm
solvitur ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:04:44, 22/08/13 »
It really is a rock step rather than a scramble. Nothing to really worry about  ::) 
Seriously, both shots are taken from below the start and thus make it look steeper than it is. The hand holds are big and there are good steps for feet. The rock is also nice and grippy.

That set of photos by RamblingPete really shows the range off well.

Cacodemon

« Reply #12 on: 08:33:34, 23/08/13 »
Thanks for the great responses - I'll digest them with my OS map in front of me later this evening.

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:02:38, 23/08/13 »
While your mulling over a Pen Yr Ole Wen, Glan Denna assent, have a shufty at the assent via Yr Elen from Gerlan.

Now that's what I call a beautiful alternative to busy Ogwen.

The views towards The Black Ladders are superb, and the view down into Fynnon Caseg are stuff of dreams.

The walking is easier than from the A5 , and the solitude of the open Carneddau is amazing.

Cacodemon

« Reply #14 on: 12:07:55, 23/08/13 »
I was put off the Gerlan route because I'd read the paths were poor/non-existent on the first bits of the walk?!

Looking on Google Maps I can make-out some paths following the route of the river towards Dafydd?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy