Author Topic: Carnedd Llewelyn route  (Read 26983 times)

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
Re: Carnedd Llewelyn route
« Reply #15 on: 12:38:21, 23/08/13 »
There are few distinct paths from the Gerlan side, which is a good thing because you do not need them.
The way is never in doubt in good clear weather.

Yr Elen is right in front of you, and once you gain the first shoulder of the mountain there is a very clear path that will eventually take you to its summit.
 That's the beauty of the Carneddau from Gerlan, few if any paths, not a soul in sight and in fine weather the easiest navigation possible.

You just pick your intended route and off you go, like a massive version of the Brecon Beacons.

In good clear weather, you can climb the Carneddau from Gerlan without the aid of map or compass, their not needed.

The mountains around you are huge and the vistas great, the walking in good visibility the easiest anywhere in Northern Snowdonia, and because few people if any have discovered Gerlan you can have this part of the Carneddau all to yourself.

That's why I think the Carneddau from Gerlan is the best kept secret next to the Rhinogs, in the whole of Wales.

Go for it.

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:01:59, 23/08/13 »

Um, is there a less severe way up from the lake?

:D
seriously i've done this route and i've had both my hips replaced it really is not that bad and i don't like heights either just have a go that is the worst bit and it really is worth it  O0 O0 O0
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:05:07, 23/08/13 »
that is the worst bit

(best bit)  ;)
solvitur ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:29:53, 23/08/13 »
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #19 on: 08:50:41, 26/08/13 »
Thanks for the reassurances guys, I'll do it.

Just got to convince the clumsy Mrs that it'll be OK.

;D
Twitter: @jonesibfc

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:01:13, 27/08/13 »
i cannot think of an easier walk than an assent of Lewellyn from Cwm Eigiau.
90% of the walk is on good easy grass paths, and only the rocky plateau area of Lewellyn could be described as annoying.
Like ive said in the past, never attempt this walk in mist or poor weather, navigation would be extremely challenging.

Ive completed this walk well over a dozen times, and its the perfect introduction to Carnedd Lewellyn,suitable even for youngsters, as long as they have the energy for such a walk.

Anything from Ogwen requires a bit of scrambling on rocks, Lewellyn from Cwm Eigiau can be done with your hands in your pockets all the way.

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #21 on: 18:31:25, 27/08/13 »
i cannot think of an easier walk than an assent of Lewellyn from Cwm Eigiau.
90% of the walk is on good easy grass paths, and only the rocky plateau area of Lewellyn could be described as annoying.
Like ive said in the past, never attempt this walk in mist or poor weather, navigation would be extremely challenging.

Ive completed this walk well over a dozen times, and its the perfect introduction to Carnedd Lewellyn,suitable even for youngsters, as long as they have the energy for such a walk.

Anything from Ogwen requires a bit of scrambling on rocks, Lewellyn from Cwm Eigiau can be done with your hands in your pockets all the way.

Hi,

Is this the route from the car park near Llyn Eigiau?

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:27:20, 27/08/13 »
I thought the classic route was up the surfaced track from Ogwen, over the top of Craig yr Ysfa, and back DOWN Pen yr O.W.  The opposing circuit from Cwm Eigiau  over  Lithrigg and Craig yr Ysfa and back down above a lake deep in a valley , can't remember the name, is  a bit longer as I recall and will have fewer people except on the CyY section. On no account go directly up to the bwlch, very steep grass. And you will still need to take your hands out of your pockets on the little step up on to the Ysfa ridge path.

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:41:38, 28/08/13 »
Hi there Dales W

Apart from the Gerlan Yr Elen traverse of Lewellyn, by far the best approach and easiest route up Lewellyn is from that small car park in Cwm Eigiau.
Even as early as 7 am the car park fills up quickly.

There are two styles in the carpark, the one you need to take is the first one on your right.
You follow the clear path all the way until you eventually go around the corner at the top.
In about half a mile you will come to another style with a gate.
Once you reach this final gate, you should see some rocks up to your left.
There is a very clear easy path that follows the adjoining brickwall.

Weather permitting you should clearly see a well worn path that follows the hillside.

This path is quite eroded in places,and if followed will bring you out on the main Central Carneddau ridge at a height of 3189ft or so.
To your right will be the clear path to Foel Grach and to your left the route to Lewellyn.

My description sounds rather complicated i know, but in perfect visibility the route is never in doubt.

Apart from the overall length of this walk, there and back around 8.5miles, its one of the most rewarding and easiest ways up Lewellyn.

I know i will be criticised for saying it again,
This is a walk only to be attempted in good clear weather, i cannot imagine the technical difficulties in trying to navigate this part of Snowdonia in heavy mist.

A huge expanse of very high mountain terrain mostly above 2500- 3000 ft in height, with not a single feature to navigate by.

Many walkers new to the Carneddau try to navigate in such weather and regret the decision.

I tried it once with friends some years ago,and did not get as far as the last style, visibility was zero, gaining the path impossible.

Choose a nice day,and you will be rewarded with one of the easiest and most enjoyable walks anywhere in Snowdonia, with not a single piece of litter in sight,and only the occasional walker to say hello to.

Now thats what i call paradise.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:32:58, 28/08/13 »
It is always problematical giving route advice to people you don't know. But I would have thought that even a novice walker who managed to follow that route and get to the top of Llewelyn would want to follow on down the very wide trail along the top of Craig yr Ysfa, rather than just retrace his or her steps.  The descent back into Cwm Eigiau from the bwlch Elyn Farchog, if I remember the name properly, is just down steep grass - not as much hard work as clambering up! And there is then a quick return to the car at the lanehead.

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #25 on: 19:07:02, 28/08/13 »
Thanks to both of you for the last two replies, they're a great help. My concern was that on the OS map there only appeared to be a path to Foel Grach from Cwm Eigiau, but if there's a path up to Llewelyn from here then great. It's just not shown on the OS map.

:)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:51:41, 28/08/13 »
Choose any weather and ignore the doom merchants. As long as you are ok with map and compass there's no problem. You are likely to meet quite a few people up there as well. There's a couple of walks on the Carneddau on my site which will give you plenty of idea of what's to come.

Enjoy the walk whatever the weather.

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:07:13, 29/08/13 »
Navigation even with map and compass is extremely challenging in adverse conditions in the Carneddau.
There are few reported casualties on these high mountains for the main reason that the majority of walkers respect this area of Snowdonia.
The highest area of land outside Scotland,the only area in Wales with a purpose built refuge shelter.

Its quite clear by your statement that you are not as familiar with this area as i am.
My house overlooks these mountains, even as i write this thread the mountains are thick with heavy mist with stong prevailing SW winds.

The reason i throw caution into my threads on the Carneddau,is because i know them far better than vertually everyone on this walking forum.

The Carneddau are my fauvorite area of Snowdonia, ive seen them in the depth of Winter and in all weathers,i know them better than most people.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:42:37, 29/08/13 »

The Carneddau are my fauvorite area of Snowdonia...

funny, you've never mentioned it before  ???

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:05:36, 29/08/13 »
...trainers or boots, that's the question on everyone's lips...
solvitur ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy