Author Topic: Great Dun fell at night  (Read 3967 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Great Dun fell at night
« on: 12:13:22, 26/05/08 »
My son and his family were visiting this weekend and the lad noticed that my diary print-out on the family noticeboard (we have to have one to arrange appointments to meet each other!) - said that I was due to do a reccy of a walk I was leading to Little Dun Fell on midsummer's night to watch the sun come up (and go "ooooh, the sun's come up!" ::))
Various family circumstances were about to prevent me going on the appointed night, so sometime during the afternoon, we decided to go and have a look tonight (thats last night)
And so, just before midnight, me and the lad turned up at a small car park at the Knock sheep pens** on the road to the Great Dun fell radar station - and we kitted up and marched manfully and sonfully upwards..... till we got to the hill fog.  It wasnt too bad on the road, but when we came to the bit where the Pennine Way turns off, we  just couldnt identify the PW at all - so we continued up the road to the station which has helpful white lines on each side of the road.
By now the wind was blowing a real hoolie and the hillfog was hurtling past towards Carlisle at some speed.
Once at the radar station, we had the same trouble identifying the exact line of the PW...... so we abandoned the attempt and retired to a small concrete shed for a brew and some ginger biscuits.
It would have been easy to go from Great to Little Dun fells, but finding the PW after it leaves the summit would have required some interesting zig-zagging and I suspect that interesting zig-zagging would be the last thing to inspire confidence in any punters on the actual night.....
So... the plan is to go back in daylight and gps the thing.
In any case, conditions like last night would cause the walk to be cancelled as there's not much point in shivering the night away with the intent of watching the sun come up if visibility is just a few yards.
No pics taken as it was dark (!)
Back at the car by just before 3:00 am  - moon and stars but stll foggy high up - must have been a cloud cap
We did do 6 miles and 1300 feet of climbing, though....
Possibly more on this saga later.....

** note that you cant normally drive to the Knock sheep pens as you'd have to pass a notice saying "No unauthorised vehicles beyond this point". However,  the probability that anybody who's bothered would notice is quite low. Wandering around a radar station in the dead of night, however is more likely to attract the wrong sort of attention from peeps in serge outfits....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Great Dun fell at night
« Reply #1 on: 22:29:49, 31/05/08 »
Had another go at this - this time in broad daylight (!) in order to get a GPS track and some waypoints.
I picked Brian up from Nenthead and we took my two dogs along for the ride.
A bold approach to the radar station road paid off and, after having a charm offensive on an unsuspecting farmer at the moor gate, he suggested that we could drive right up to the radar station gate on Gt Dun Fell and that nobody would be all that bothered - so thats what we did, giving us a starting height for the walk  of 758 metres. (I'd like to suggest that this may be a UK record for the highest start to a hill walk!!)
We walked up to the radar station and then followed the Pennine Way on to Little Dun Fell where, due to the clement weather, we could laze around on soft, dry turf for an hour or so before returning the way we came.  We met a couple heading North from Lands End, possibly to Kelso, and a couple heading South on the PW after having walked the route NNorthwards - and a big group of supported walkers from Worcestershire. Quite a busy route today.
Note for anybody camping at Langdon Beck or Upper Teesdale, though - the first couple said that the campsite was closed and there was nowhere else to camp.
The main remarkable thing today was the sudden appearance, and equally sudden disappearance of dozens of swifts - appearing like an RAF air atack on some unsuspecting blackflies, and screaming along just feet above the ground and missing us by only inches.  They appeared and disappeared a  couple of times and were met again later on Gt Dun Fell.
I now have a set of seven GPS waypoints and a track from the radar station to the summit of Little Dun Fell for the night walk on 21/22 June. The navigation would be very straigtforward even without this except that on our previous visit a few days ago, I couldnt positively identify the PW off the summit of the first hill. After 200 metres, a line of paving stones is followed, but in 50 mph flying hill fog in the dark, its different world up there!
Map of the full route for 21/22 June appears below. Today, we only covered 3 miles and 750 feet of ascent.

andybeck

« Reply #2 on: 15:17:42, 11/06/08 »
Mike,
Interesting report on your Great Dun Fell "outings".
You might be right about the highest hill start maybe only beaten by a drivable stalkers road on a highland estate. Even then you first have to find it and then get permission to use it. ;) :)
 The highest start on a public road would be from the summit of Bealach na Ba near Applecross at 2053'
Andy

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:34:49, 17/06/08 »
Apparently, I've got nine customers for this walk - starts at midnight on saturday night, providing there's a decent weather forecast...

On the question of the highest public road - what's the height of the main road at Glen Shee ski centre?

The highest in England seems to eb Killhope Cross - the road from Alston to Stanhope at 2064 feet....  The radar station road at Dun Fell isnt public....

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:12:16, 25/06/08 »
We had to cancel/postpone this walk due to heavy rain and gales.
I'm in discussions with Natural England about having another go at it later in the summer, though....
Watch this space---->                          <---------------

garyr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:16:03, 02/07/08 »
We had to cancel/postpone this walk due to heavy rain and gales.
I'm in discussions with Natural England about having another go at it later in the summer, though....
Watch this space---->                          <---------------

Mike - what a shame it had to be cancelled, but with the weather that night I don't blame you, it was awful!

Gary ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy