Author Topic: Bowland Fells - Littledale and Caton Moor  (Read 3429 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Bowland Fells - Littledale and Caton Moor
« on: 23:19:07, 25/07/08 »
Trespassing in Kidstypike's domain! ::)
One dark and sleety night around last january, i was studying a map of Bowland and my attention was drawn to a car park near Little Crag, just South of Caton, for the bagging of an unticked tick in the form of Caton Moor.  Various circumstances and distractions meant that this was put on tne back burner for a while. 
Earlier this week, the opportunity finally cropped up and the back burner was turned off.
I picked R Kidd up in Kendal  and we hurtled down the M6 to Caton and , more sedately behind what apeared to be some kind of space vehicle, but was probably something to do with haymaking, to the lttle parking spot in question.
To be fair, its a daft spot from which to bag caton Moor, but is ideally placed for a more serious round of some Bowland biggies to the South and East (back burner switched back on again)
So we walked down the lane to Littledale and followed a bonny path through woodland and pastures along Littledale, past a derelict chaapel (used as a barn) to Deep Clough farm and then Winder farm.
A bit further on, we decided that the path was taking its time to deliver us to a  reasonable jumping-off spot for the top and we hopped over the barbed wire on to the moor and headed for the trig.
On a less hazy day, it would be quitea fab view - Morecambe Bay, Lakes, Howgills, Dales and Bowland all spread out - I should imagine. We had a vague sort of view of some sand, a power station, some wind turbines and all Three of the Three Peaks.
We used the access track to the turbines to reach the road, and followed the lanes back to the start.
Quite anice walk. daft start (if you do this, dont start where we started - loadsa flowers, a bit sweaty weather, though.

9 Miles and 1300 feet of uphill.
« Last Edit: 23:20:59, 25/07/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Re: Bowland Fells - Littledale and Caton Moor
« Reply #1 on: 08:39:59, 26/07/08 »
As you say Mike an "interesting" start point for Caton Moor but the walk up Littledale is wonderful. When we parked there and walked up Littledale our return was to the south around the lower slopes of Clougha Pike.
In the past when we've done Caton Moor we've combined it with Claughton Moor starting from Bull Beck with a return down the riverside path.
Regards,
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Bowland Fells - Littledale and Caton Moor
« Reply #2 on: 22:40:35, 27/07/08 »
Ah well, we live and learn.... My next Bowland things to do are Middle Knoll and Whins Brow, although I probably wont get to them for  quite a while. I don;t know why I didnt do these when I lived in Skipton (maybe it was all the "Private Keep Out " signs they used to have in Bowland.  ) I also looked at starting at the same car park and walking Clougha Pike - Grit Fell -Wards Stone - Wolfhole Crag - Hornby Road to Barkin Gate, then Caton Moor and back to the start. Its possible to chop a lump off this route if it gets too much...  its on the mental list (thats a list in the mind, not a list of mentalist walks!!)
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy