Author Topic: Where is this?  (Read 18315 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Where is this?
« Reply #135 on: 21:17:57, 02/05/19 »
Bennachie from somewhere to the south? It is quite a distinctive top.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #136 on: 21:24:35, 02/05/19 »

I think you may have that one. The view from the visitors center matches perfectly.

http://www.bennachievisitorcentre.org.uk/whatson.html

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #137 on: 21:32:02, 02/05/19 »
Right again Richard. The right hand summit is Mither Tap. The photograph is taken from the Howe of Alford and is a view from the south. Although Bennachie is not particularly high (Oxen Craig, the highest peak is 528m) it stands out from the surrounding countryside and can be seen from a long way. The views from the summit are extensive. There are many paths and several summits, a waterfall and history back to the Bronze Age.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #138 on: 21:57:24, 02/05/19 »
It is a hill that I had been planning to climb whilst on one of my regular training courses in Aberdeen - but redundancy and early retirement put paid to that. Can't complain though - retirement is great!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #139 on: 22:12:29, 02/05/19 »

I think you may have that one. The view from the visitors center matches perfectly.

http://www.bennachievisitorcentre.org.uk/whatson.html
The main route from the visitor centre to Mither Tap is the busiest and least interesting in my view. The Rowan Tree and Back O’ Bennachie car parks are far better starting points. Hermit Seat and Watch Craig at the western end of the range are much quieter.

You don’t get that view from the visitor centre, which is situated in woods to the east of Mither Tap.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #140 on: 22:33:59, 02/05/19 »
The main route from the visitor centre to Mither Tap is the busiest and least interesting in my view. The Rowan Tree and Back O’ Bennachie car parks are far better starting points. Hermit Seat and Watch Craig at the western end of the range are much quieter.

You don’t get that view from the visitor centre, which is situated in woods to the east of Mither Tap.

I mearly looked at the pictures on the visitors center website, after Richard got it.  Looks very similar. Slight difference a village is in shot from there.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #141 on: 19:05:22, 03/05/19 »

Correction: I should have said that everybody should go to the Bennachie Centre and climb Mither Tap from there. The other end of the range is desolate and silent and you will only find grumpy walkers there that want to be alone  ;D .

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #142 on: 19:13:32, 03/05/19 »

A new one to identify for Friday.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #143 on: 19:17:39, 03/05/19 »
I spy columnar basalt. Shiants?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #144 on: 19:46:41, 03/05/19 »
Kilt rock?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #145 on: 19:53:02, 03/05/19 »
Richardh, how do you do this every time? Ok, which one of the Shiants?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #146 on: 20:51:07, 03/05/19 »

Read a book about the man who owned the Shiant Islands some years ago, and I think that they featured on a TV program too. The columnar basalt is very distinctive, and is not that common. Fingal's Cave and Kilt Rock are the most well known examples, but it didn't look like them. There's also an outcrop on the south side of Arthur's Seat.

No idea exactly which island though - I could go trawling through loads of photos online to find out - but I'm not going to.  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #147 on: 21:45:42, 03/05/19 »
Skye

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #148 on: 21:47:08, 03/05/19 »
The island is Eilean an Taighe (house island), which is joined to Garbh Eilean (rough island) by a rocky isthmus. There are over 100,000 puffins in the Shiants, mostly nesting on Garbh Eilean. I walked from the isthmus up to the top of Eilean an Taighe, but saw no puffins there, only Great Skuas. The number of sea birds here has to be seen to be believed and the sky turns black with birds when a sea eagle flies overhead.

Puffin

Bonxie (Skua)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #149 on: 21:47:56, 03/05/19 »
Richardh, how do you do this every time? Ok, which one of the Shiants?

He's got a device like the Marauders Map from Harry Potter but it covers the UK instead of Hogwarts and in addition to locating people it shows you locations when you throw photos at it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy