Author Topic: 1st-2nd August Wasdale Screes and a night on Great How  (Read 1478 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member

This week I thought I'd have a walk along the screes above Wasdale and then camp on Great How where I've camped a couple of times before 
The forecast is for showers but although the skies were dull and the cloud low it didn't feel like it was going to rain. On the drive up I realised that I have never climbed Irton Pike so decided to pay a visit on my way to the Screes above Wasdale. That's Muncaster Fell in the distance.
On Irton Pike now with a view to the coast and Ravenglass.
But looking to my onward path I think I'll be losing the view.
A nice glimpse of Wastwater though from the climb over Irton Fell.
Passing the top of Greathall Gill.
Not a lot to see from Whin Rigg, although I did get the feeling that the sky was getting lighter.
And soon I have views.
As I do every time I come to the Screes I creep out to the edge and hold out the camera for a quick picture.
I did notice that the little lay-bys along the shore were packed with cars and camper vans and there were convoys of cars heading along the road to Wasdale Head.. As with before when I was in Hartsop although the roads were very busy there was hardly anyone on the fell, in fact so far I had not seen anyone and only saw three people all day.
It's lovely now looking down to Middle Fell, Nether Beck, Over Beck and Yewbarrow. Seatallen, Haycock, Scoat Fell, Red Pike and Pillar form the horizon.
On to Illgill Head now with Yewbarrow again then Kirk Fell, Great Gable and Lingmell above Wasdale Head
Zooming in on the mighty Yewbarrow.
In the other direction are Eskdale Fell and Great How to the right with Slight Side above to the left and then Scafell in cloud.
Burnmoor Tarn with todays objective above. Eel Tarn is over to the right.
The boggy moorland between Illgill Head and the lower slopes of Scafell contains this Bronze age cairn named on the map as Maiden Castle. The stones are a sheep fold added much later but probably using the stones from the cairn. Green Crag is having a moment in the sun in the background..
My path crosses Hardrigg Gill and what a surprise it was, these white rocks had been warmed by the sun and they made a lovely seat to eat my lunch.
After lunch cooled my feet in the wonderfully clear water.
Leaving my bag at the rocks I walked up by the side of he gill admiring the cascades and little pools.
After collecting my bag there was a bit of rough ground to cross before I reached more lovely falls in Oliver Gill.
Rather than climb the steep hillside I followed Oliver Gill upwards but although there is a faint path on the right hand side of the stream the going was quite rough and I wish I had just climbed out up the steep bank..
Eventually I arrive at my destination for today. It's a bit too early to put the tent up so I have an explore of Great How
Slight Side with Bowfell in the background from the summit cairn.
Harter Fell and Green crag with Caw in the distance between them seen over one of he many lovely little tarns on Eskdale fell.
The tent is up now and a lovely afternoon is spent reading and drinking tea.
I'm camped by the largest of the tarns.
After tea I had another wander around the fell hoping to that I might have a sunset..
Looking over the edge of the escarpment to Burnmoor Tarn and Whillan Beck.
The sky did show promise but this was as good as it got.
Although there was a nice moon rise by Harter Fell
Last photo before I turn in for the night and within ten minutes of arriving back to the tent it started to rain and seemed to continue all through the night.
The rain stopped around seven thirty so I quickly packed up and made my way down. I walked out along the length of the fell to see if there was a way off without having to descend by the beck and although I did come down this way I'd not recommend it as it was steep and slippery.
Not recommended.
I met the path which runs beneath the steep slopes of Eskdale Fell and followed it to Lambford Bridge. I presume those pieces of wood are to repair the bridge which is looking a bit threadbare.
Making my to Mitredale in a sharp shower passing Burnmoor Lodge.
Rather than drop down into Mitredale I followed a path which ran above the valley. This is the head of Mitredale below
Looking back to Great How perched on the top of Eskdale Fell.
Eventually the path descends to Mitredale. I wish now I had followed the valley to the road as tree felling has destroyed the paths leading more directly to my car, the churned up mud was nearly impossible to walk on without sinking up to my calves.
But at least they have spent money providing top class bridges over some of the mud.  :D
My routes for the two days were
1st August - Bowerhouse Bank road car park- Irton Pike - Irton Fell - Whin Rigg - Illgill Head - Maiden Castle - Hardrigg Gill - Oliver Gill - Great How -  ( about 7.5 miles 2700 ft ascent )2nd August - Great How - Lambford Bridge - Burnmoor Lodge- above Mitredale - Low Place - Crabtree Dale Wood - Bowerhouse Bank road car park ( about 7 miles 600ft ascent )

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: 1st-2nd August Wasdale Screes and a night on Great How
« Reply #1 on: 22:35:12, 02/08/20 »
Good to get out even if the weather is iffy. Karl. Really like the shots of those little waterfalls and pools in Hardrigg Gill - looks like a delightful spot. O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:19:54, 03/08/20 »
Lovely photos, particularly the shots over Wastwater.
I've walked past Maiden Castle and never given it a second thought.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:41:59, 03/08/20 »
Great pics karl is that a new tent?
 O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:28:17, 03/08/20 »
Lovely pics Karl  O0  It was a mixed bag with the weather at the weekend. Mitredale is a lovely little valley, we walked up it a few years ago and camped near Boat How. Yes, new tent Karl?

I see you are working on some new routes for your Kut Price Tours  :D
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:21:54, 03/08/20 »
Good to get out even if the weather is iffy. Karl. Really like the shots of those little waterfalls and pools in Hardrigg Gill - looks like a delightful spot. O0
Thanks Richard  O0  I've been past Hardrigg Gill several times but this was the first time I've actually seen it close up and it is a wonderful spot :)
Lovely photos, particularly the shots over Wastwater.
I've walked past Maiden Castle and never given it a second thought.
Thanks Ridge O0  I too have walked past and never given it a thought but a quick google search revealed it's history

Great pics karl is that a new tent?
 O0 
Errr might be :D

Lovely pics Karl  O0    Yes, new tent Karl?

Err might be :D
Yes I've took the plunge and got one of those American crisp packet drip coffins ;D
(Tarptent Aeon Li )
Great tent but you have to make sure it's tethered down as it's actually lighter than air ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:07:51, 03/08/20 »
American crisp packet drip coffins ;D

Love that description.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:40:08, 03/08/20 »
Yes I've took the plunge and got one of those American crisp packet drip coffins ;D
(Tarptent Aeon Li )

I too like the description  :)  It will be interesting to see how it copes with our wonderful climate.

PS Have you won the lottery?  ;)

Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:49:15, 03/08/20 »

I too like the description  :)  It will be interesting to see how it copes with our wonderful climate.

Well I was pleased with my first outing, the rain didn't come in  (but thats the least you expect from a shelter ) and I deliberately  kept all the doors and vents closed to see what the condensation would be like and there was hardly any at all and I didn't have a sagging inner against my face.
Another positive was that the tent felt the same weight wet as it did dry, there is a lot of mesh though so it will be interesting to see what the colder weather brings.  :)

PS Have you won the lottery?  ;)
I've not bought a tent for five years so I was due one and also I've not had to spend any money on kippers  :D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:51:44, 03/08/20 »
Love all those waterfall shots and was thinking you could probably drink straight from that water as it looked so clear ... then I read you cooled your feet in it  :-\

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:17:41, 03/08/20 »
Love all those waterfall shots and was thinking you could probably drink straight from that water as it looked so clear ... then I read you cooled your feet in it  :-\

Oh sorry did I say feet I meant i cooled my....Ooops no,  TMI  ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:41:24, 04/08/20 »
Another positive was that the tent felt the same weight wet as it did dry, there is a lot of mesh though so it will be interesting to see what the colder weather brings

Our tent was heavier with all the rain we had on Saturday night, you never know we might take the plunge for a crisp packet one of these days  ;)

I've not bought a tent for five years so I was due one and also I've not had to spend any money on kippers  :D

;D Squeaky says you are always welcome to feed her kippers and to let us know when you want to bring some for her  :)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:35:48, 04/08/20 »
Wonderful  O0  Just wonderful scenery.
No pics of the mud? Pics or it never happened  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:14:33, 04/08/20 »
Wonderful  O0  Just wonderful scenery.
No pics of the mud? Pics or it never happened  ;D

Thanks Pleb O0  I'd become a bit grumpy,  with the mud and the path not being where it should have been so I'd put the camera away. >:(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy