Author Topic: Cannnot post pictures  (Read 5939 times)

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: Cannnot post pictures
« Reply #30 on: 17:04:52, 15/01/10 »
I suspect walking forum and tinypic are mutually gaining out of this.

I think you're being bang out of order making such an accusation with no evidence what so ever to back it up. No gains are being made at all. The reason, and the only reason tinypic was chosen was because after exhaustive testing carried out by myself of the various image hosting websites tinypic was found to be the most reliable and easiest to use (and therefore easier to write a step by step guide for). I guess it's nice to know that all the effort I put into creating that guide is appreciated... ::) (Actually quite a few people have thanked me for creating that guide so I know most on here appreciate it)
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: 17:26:22, 15/01/10 »

I suspect walking forum and tinypic are mutually gaining out of this. Why has the forum removed the simplest way of posting by forcing us to use the Tinypic site. A bad bad move walking forum.

I missed this comment and I have to agree walking Englishman your comments are not fair. I used the guide yesterday for the first time and found the experience easy. No one is forcing anyone to do something they don't want too. If you don't want to post pics that's up to you but your comment was unnecessary   
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:01:43, 15/01/10 »

Yeah. IMHO, my SOS was OMG and I thought WTF. But now I'm AOK.

TTFN

GP  :)

TFFT!

think about  it  8)

Dave
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Walking Englishman

« Reply #33 on: 18:26:03, 15/01/10 »
I think you're being bang out of order making such an accusation with no evidence what so ever to back it up. No gains are being made at all. The reason, and the only reason tinypic was chosen was because after exhaustive testing carried out by myself of the various image hosting websites tinypic was found to be the most reliable and easiest to use (and therefore easier to write a step by step guide for). I guess it's nice to know that all the effort I put into creating that guide is appreciated... ::) (Actually quite a few people have thanked me for creating that guide so I know most on here appreciate it)

Oops, I have touched a nerve and I apologise if I have caused distress. I have a simple point to make. Why hide the most straightforward way to upload from a PC at all, not everyone is a PC expert like yourself. Sites which let users post large files, You Tube being the most obvious example have a simple from PC file upload system. The guide you have provided is easy to you and computer experts but complicated for simple PC users and the means of going through a 3rd party site to post in what is supposed to be a user friendly forum is one interface too many. That is a fact for infrequent users. I am not the only one who found the change confusing. I reiterate I apologise if you are upset, I am simply stating you have made a complication to what was a simple process. 
« Last Edit: 18:31:13, 15/01/10 by Walking Englishman »
I'm a walker on the edge of my perception. We're all travellers at the edge of our perceptions.

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: 18:37:54, 15/01/10 »
I don't recall any changes. The method of using a third party photo hosting site was in place when I joined in Feb 2009. The method we use is also the norm for most forums that are hosted. The forums that are bespoke will normally do their own hosting of photos. These require the use of the owner's own server and software people to maintain the database etc which, obviously, will incur high running costs. This forum is not an example of the latter and as a result we have to operate under certain constrictions.

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:52:00, 15/01/10 »
I use Photobucket like a lot do on here, and I have no issues. It's easy to use (it has to be for me) and gives some great results. You can store your pictures on there so you don't use valuable space on your own PC.  ;)

Hi Micky, thanks for sharing this......does that mean then that I can now delete the photos from my computer because I have put them on photobucket?
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 18:55:13, 15/01/10 »
Oops, I have touched a nerve and I apologise if I have caused distress.

Perhaps I flew off the handle a little there so please excuse me if I was a bit short with you.

I have a simple point to make. Why hide the most straightforward way to upload from a PC at all, not everyone is a PC expert like yourself. Sites which let users post large files, You Tube being the most obvious example have a simple from PC file upload system. The guide you have provided is easy to you and computer experts but complicated for simple PC users and the means of going through a 3rd party site to post in what is supposed to be a user friendly forum is one interface too many. That is a fact for infrequent users. I am not the only one who found the change confusing. I reiterate I apologise if you are upset, I am simply stating you have made a complication to what was a simple process.

The idea behind creating the guide was hopefully to make what I accept is perhaps a daunting process a little easier to follow and I hope it has achieved that.

Unfortunately the simple fact is it all comes down to cost. We would love to be able to offer an easier solution where by members can upload their photo's to the forum's server but it would require a huge increase in both harddrive size and bandwidth which would cost us a lot more money. Currently the costs incurred from running this forum are paid for by the advertising that you see on the forum (Google & Amazon currently) but they simply do not pay enough for us to be able to increase our harddrive size and bandwidth usage, the current running costs are barely covered as it is! To achieve the funding to pay for the additional resources required to host everyone's photo's would require us to adopt a different tack; more advertising perhaps or even a membership fee, both of which I'm sure would prove unpopular and could even prove damaging. This is the reason why we ask that members use a third party image host and the choice of which one to use is entirely up to the individual.
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 19:02:07, 15/01/10 »

Hi Micky, thanks for sharing this......does that mean then that I can now delete the photos from my computer because I have put them on photobucket?

Yes Dibble you can free some space up on your PC if the pictures are on Photo Bucket, it's quite a good site because you can put your pictures into different folders that you name yourself. You can also share these pictures with others by giving them the password to the particular folder they are in.

If you like you can also put your pictures from your PC onto a disc before you delete them.  :)
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: 19:06:59, 15/01/10 »
Dibble - I re-iterate Micky's comments. Never delete stuff unless you have at least one backup. I'd actually say with photos you should have two archives. USB memory sticks are cheap as an alternative option. I have an external hard drive with them on plus a USB device where they are also stored. You can never have too many copies. Hard drives may seem to be bomb-proof but they can die just like any computing device.

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 19:09:38, 15/01/10 »
Dibble - I re-iterate Micky's comments. Never delete stuff unless you have at least one backup. I'd actually say with photos you should have two archives. USB memory sticks are cheap as an alternative option. I have an external hard drive with them on plus a USB device where they are also stored. You can never have too many copies. Hard drives may seem to be bomb-proof but they can die just like any computing device.

Good point Simon, thanks.  O0
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:17:57, 15/01/10 »
Thank you Simon and Micky.  I have not been taking photos of my walks for that long and so for a while all my photos were saved as Ennerdale!

I will save them elsewhere before I delete and thanks for the tip.
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: 03:42:20, 16/01/10 »
I just lost nearly everything due to a virus on my PC photos were backed up but I lost all my I tunes and apple are not willing to help. Not there fault to be fair. I am buying and external hard drive you can pick one up for about £40 so I will do that 
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: 05:44:23, 16/01/10 »
I just lost nearly everything due to a virus on my PC photos were backed up but I lost all my I tunes and apple are not willing to help. Not there fault to be fair. I am buying and external hard drive you can pick one up for about £40 so I will do that
That's one of the problems with downloading. I'm sure that there will be some suppliers who wold replace but many wouldn't and are not duty bound. That's one of many reasons I'll never download. Unless you want portable music I see little need with options like Spotify - how's that going now Angry?

I lost all our photos some years ago when a hard drive failed. That encompassed about 3 years worth, including almost every photo of one of our dogs - it was a heart-breaker. The trouble was no backup - and that for someone who had worked 20 years in IT! I was not alone in the industry regarding negligence with my own files! Never again. The stupid thing is that at the point of formatting the hard disk to start again I thought for a moment and asked myself if I needed to try and get anything off it!!!! My god when I realised.......I nearly split my cummerbund! 

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 06:30:19, 16/01/10 »
I lost a lot of photos last summer when the disc in the camera failed.
I deleted the photos and started again and it has been fine this time.

Walking Englishman

« Reply #44 on: 09:54:53, 16/01/10 »
Perhaps I flew off the handle a little there so please excuse me if I was a bit short with you.

The idea behind creating the guide was hopefully to make what I accept is perhaps a daunting process a little easier to follow and I hope it has achieved that.

Unfortunately the simple fact is it all comes down to cost. We would love to be able to offer an easier solution where by members can upload their photo's to the forum's server but it would require a huge increase in both harddrive size and bandwidth which would cost us a lot more money. Currently the costs incurred from running this forum are paid for by the advertising that you see on the forum (Google & Amazon currently) but they simply do not pay enough for us to be able to increase our harddrive size and bandwidth usage, the current running costs are barely covered as it is! To achieve the funding to pay for the additional resources required to host everyone's photo's would require us to adopt a different tack; more advertising perhaps or even a membership fee, both of which I'm sure would prove unpopular and could even prove damaging. This is the reason why we ask that members use a third party image host and the choice of which one to use is entirely up to the individual.

Thank you for explaining the reason for the change. Can I suggest something, now I know the reason for the change, which I perfectly understand. When I asked my wife to try to post a photograph on the forum (note I gave her no tips or background information) she was immediately confused when the script box asking for a website popped up. She did not know what to do, probably as confused as glovepuppet was (see second post on this thread). Can you add a pop up box explaining there is an option or alternatively point them to your guide so they know the options instead of having to give up through lack of knowledge. After all, when I tried I was stuck for a while until I searched out your guide. And I like to think I know a bit about computers. Thanks.
I'm a walker on the edge of my perception. We're all travellers at the edge of our perceptions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy