Author Topic: TR - SWCP from Worth Matravers, Dorset  (Read 3726 times)

Warbler

TR - SWCP from Worth Matravers, Dorset
« on: 21:00:41, 20/08/20 »
Went for a stroll along the South West Coast Path today. Parked in Worth Matravers and did an anti-clockwise circular.

It wasn’t long after leaving Worth Matravers that the blue stuff came into view.

Chapman’s Pool

There is a Royal Marines memorial on Emmet’s Hill overlooking Chapman’s Pool. This was initiated following the IRA attack on the RM barracks in Deal, Kent in 1989.

You may just be able to see the flotilla of cruise ships anchored just off Weymouth/Portland on the horizon……….or maybe not. They were there, honestly.

In the words of John Mcenroe….”You cannot be serious”. It really is as steep as it looks, both down and up.

Rounding St Aldhelm’s Head there is St Aldhelm’s Chapel, unfortunately closed due to Covid.

Shortly after St Aldhelms Head there is a sculptured monument to Dr WH Penley, a radar pioneer during WW2.

Winspit Quarry provided stone for many a prestigious building in London up until the 1940’s.

Now heading east along the SWCP, Anvil Point/Durlston Head can be seen in the distance.

Dancing Ledge is a man-made/quarried feature. Apparently, it is so called because when the waves are high enough to wash over the horizontal surface, the undulations cause the water to bob about making the ledge appear to dance. No evidence of this today – the place was swarming with visitors. There were some feisty waves crashing in though.

Sadly, it was time to leave the coast behind, and after a stiff climb we joined the Priest’s Way which took us back to Worth Matravers, where a well earned ale was consumed sat outside the Square and Compass.

I love a good coastal walk, and this was my first in over a year. It was a perfect day for it too. Cloudless blue skies, 21 deg and a thankfully cooling breeze to boot! Roll on the next one.

Thanks for viewing.
« Last Edit: 21:14:29, 20/08/20 by Warbler »

April

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - SWCP from Worth Matravers, Dorset
« Reply #1 on: 12:28:30, 21/08/20 »
Lovely photos and interesting write up as usual Warbler  O0

Beautiful coastline, looks like a wonderful place to walk  :)
Hate will never win

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:49:53, 21/08/20 »
Enjoyed your photos of somewhere I've never been, kind of reminds me of North Yorkshire coast!

Warbler

« Reply #3 on: 14:41:20, 22/08/20 »
Beautiful coastline, looks like a wonderful place to walk  :)

Thanks April. It sure is a wonderful place to walk. I think I'll venture further west for my next trip.

Enjoyed your photos of somewhere I've never been, kind of reminds me of North Yorkshire coast!

Thanks Dodgylegs. I know the Yorkshire coast quite well, and yes, there are similarities.

It's a short stretch of the South Devon/Dorset Jurassic coast. Similarly, the stretch from Staithes down to Flamborough Head on the Yorkshire coast is also Jurassic.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:47:03, 11/09/20 »
What a perfect day for a lovely coastal walk.  Fabulous views and interesting write up.

Thanks for posting  :)

Warbler

« Reply #5 on: 20:04:30, 14/09/20 »
Thanks Mel.

It was indeed a perfect day for it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:58:52, 17/09/20 »
Some lovely photos of what looks like a very dramatic bit of coastline. O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Warbler

« Reply #7 on: 15:38:52, 17/09/20 »
Thanks Richard.
We don't seem to get many posts from the Dorset coast, or any coast for that matter, recently.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:13:56, 17/09/20 »
Looks like there was plenty of interest on this route.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:45:20, 18/09/20 »

In the words of John Mcenroe….”You cannot be serious”. It really is as steep as it looks, both down and up.

When I walked the SWCP I was told by some 'helpful' walkers that there was a climb of 169 steps up the other side to get to St. Aldhelm’s Chapel and to the National Coastwatch Station.   >:( I don't know if it was true as I lost count when I rested half way up!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy