Author Topic: How hard is Snowdon?  (Read 84797 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: How hard is Snowdon?
« Reply #75 on: 09:05:31, 27/04/18 »
We are staying at Perthi Farm

It's a lovely spot, very isolated yet not far from the village, and the bulk of Moel Hebog fills the view.
Hope you've got a 4WD!

Edited to add photo, view SW from Perthi.
« Last Edit: 09:25:49, 27/04/18 by fernman »

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: 09:55:09, 27/04/18 »
Oh dear no we haven’t! I could be in truoble with the hubby then!  ;D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: 10:35:06, 27/04/18 »
You'll be alright! There's a long stony track up from the main road, before it becomes the two strips of concrete you see in the picture. I've done ten times worse in little 1 cc hire cars on Greek islands! Just watch out for the farmer hurtling towards you round a bend in his big pickup  ;D

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: 11:28:34, 27/04/18 »
I did get the impression when we enquired it wasn’t too bad to drive down.

Would Moel Hebog be a good walk before tackling Snowdon? We don’t know the area at all and not really done any hills since September.

Any good food pub suggestions in and around Beddgelert?

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: 13:30:10, 27/04/18 »
I did get the impression when we enquired it wasn’t too bad to drive down.

Would Moel Hebog be a good walk before tackling Snowdon? We don’t know the area at all and not really done any hills since September.

Any good food pub suggestions in and around Beddgelert?
We have stayed in Beddgelert half a dozen times now, Moel Hebog and it’s satellites are a cracking walk so do that and enjoy. As for pubs, the Tanronnen does a good meal as does the Saracen, have fun  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 14:32:37, 27/04/18 »
I've only walked it, but of course it's OK to drive down, or up. Didn't see any ruts or potholes.

Last year, after checking TripAdvisor reviews of all the eateries in Beddgelert last year, I settled on the Saracens Head which I found to be good.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: 20:39:02, 01/05/18 »
Its still a dangerous mountain, as i discovered this afternoon.
My friend who is half my age, and currently studying hard in Sandhurst, was home this week, and he talked me into going up Snowdon.
I had suggested Carnedd Llewellyn, as the mountains were clear, and apart from the chilly conditions, it was good walking weather,  SO I THOUGHT.

My suggestion was an ascent of the Rhydd Ddu miners path from llanberis, the path below the Moel Elio route, and then an ascent of Snowdon via the Snowdon Ranger.

The mountains western flanks were fairly sheltered, a bit windy but nothing compared to what awaited us at the marker stones at the PyG and Miners path junction.

He continued on to the summit, whilst i decided it was simply not worth the risk,

We have all heard about the majestic views from the top of Snowdon, well they were incredible this afternoon, amongst the best ive ever seen, in every direction, you could see an incredible distance, with almost the entire coastline of Wales mapped out in front of us.

I only wished i had been able to stand with a pair of binoculars, but the severity of the wind really scared me, by far the strongest ive ever experienced in the many years of climbing Snowdon, and with my knowledge and experience of the mountain,  i knew it was no place to linger.

It was the sensible decision, as just approaching Clogwyn station, the rain arrived, and i knew i could get down to safer ground far quicker from there, than higher up the mountain.

To prove how strong the wind was, i was blown over just opposite the new station halt opposite Llechog,  thankfully onto grass, but it still surprised me, as the gust of wind came with no warning,

Its been many a year that due to challenging conditions, ive failed to reach the summit, so long in fact, i cannot remember how many years ago it was, but certainly back in the 1980s.

Yes Snowdon is an easy mountain in favourable conditions, but it certainly bared its teeth this afternoon, and the National Parks weather forecast had not predicted such high winds.
« Last Edit: 20:51:19, 01/05/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 20:53:11, 01/05/18 »
Its still a dangerous mountain, as i discovered this afternoon.

He continued on to the summit, whilst i decided it was simply not worth the risk,

We have all heard about the majestic views from the top of Snowdon, well they were incredible this afternoon, amongst the best ive ever seen, in every direction, you could see an incredible distance, with almost the entire coastline of Wales mapped out in front of us.

I only wished i had been able to stand with a pair of binoculars, but the severity of the wind really scared me, and with my knowledge and experience of the mountain,  i knew it was no place to linger.

To prove how strong the wind was, i was blown over just opposite the new station halt opposite Llechog,  thankfully onto grass, but it still surprised me.

Its been many a year that due to challenging conditions, i failed to reach the summit.

Yes Snowdon is an easy mountain in favourable conditions, but it certainly bared its teeth this afternoon, and the National Parks weather forecast had not predicted such high winds.
So did you or didn't you go to the summit??

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: 21:18:27, 01/05/18 »
No, i turned to my left in the direction of the Llanberis path, and followed the railway line down to the safety of Clogwyn..
The Snowdon Ranger path meets the junction of the Miners and Pyg track, less than ten minutes from the summit, but memories of a particularly windy Pen Y fan came flooding back.
The wind was so strong at times, that you were almost being blown backwards, and the buffeting of the wind made it very difficult to stand, and being so high on the mountain, i knew conditions dictated a hasty retreat.

At the time it was still dry, with vistas in all directions so clear, that i doubt i will see better in years to come, but no, i decided to miss the summit on this occasion, as the mountain will still be there next week.

I am sure some less experienced walkers would have risked the last few minutes to the summit,  just to say they reached the top,   but i know when its wise to make a detour to safety.

Snowdon has been there millions of years,  and now i know why the mountain claims so many casualties.

I could see the danger before me, a lot of walkers new to the mountain may have soldiered on, being so close to the summit.

It only takes one moment to lose ones bearings or coordination on such a high mountain, in such adverse conditions, that its no wonder it claims several victims annually.
« Last Edit: 21:28:17, 01/05/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Surfer99

« Reply #84 on: 09:30:10, 02/05/18 »
That’s a shame you had to abandon but better to be safe  O0

Our trip is planned for Friday, mountain forecast is saying dry, 8/9deg, 30kmh winds.

Based on the above post we may need to postpone which would be a shame as this the last mid week none school holiday day off.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #85 on: 13:32:43, 02/05/18 »
20/30kph winds are not particularly strong - you will be fine to walk.  Have fun.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #86 on: 19:19:40, 02/05/18 »
I recon the windspeed yesterday  was in excess of 40mph, possibly a lot higher.
I was bent double once i left the relative safety of the Snowdon Ranger, and i thought it wise to get off the mountain sharpish.

This afternoon travelling to Chester from Dyffryn, the clarity of the mountains was unnerving, obviously last nights heavy rain had cleaned the atmosphere.

I parked a few minutes at the carpark at the top of the Crimea pass, above Blaenau Festioniog, to take in the views, the clarity of Moel Siabod and surrounding mountains was magnificent.

Still pretty blustery conditions, and only 5C, so i bet nothing had changed on top of Snowdon.

Surfer99

« Reply #87 on: 12:49:45, 03/05/18 »
Is the Sherpa bus running at the moment?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #88 on: 14:52:03, 03/05/18 »
I think it will be starting in the next week or two,  as the owner of the half way cafe on the Llanberis Path, told me that the summit cafe will be opening for the first time tomorrow
Once the train is going as far as the summit, the visitor numbers will increase considerably, hence the need for the Sherpa bus service.

Fingers crossed, the weather forecast is supposed to be warming up considerably (wishful thinking, as its still only 8C in Dyffryn, and currently raining) but the pressure is on the increase, so who knows, we might be in the run for some warm weather.

The Sherpa bus service will not swing into operation until the visitor numbers increase to justify running the service.

I recon Bank holiday weekend, will see the service up and running.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #89 on: 15:18:27, 03/05/18 »
We are hoping to walk up Snowdon Tuesday or Weds, so I hope the weather lasts til then! As its a Bank Holiday weekend I can only imagine what it will be like on Sunday and Monday. Will keep checking the forecast just in case.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy