Author Topic: Hay Stacks in early November  (Read 1929 times)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Hay Stacks in early November
« on: 15:24:36, 13/11/08 »
Had a lovely walk early November, with all 4 seasons. A bitter wind up on the tops, and a touch of snow to walk in. Lots of people up on Hay Stacks including some very young walkers enjoying themselves. I hadn't seen many red squirrels before yesterday, but shortly after leaving Buttermere I saw five of them close up squabbling in the hedgerow. There was a little bit of storm damage to the paths from last weekends torrential rain, but nothing that couldn't be repaired in time. The story should be on the blog soon.

One stayed still enough for a picture - they looked healthy for the winter

Looking along Buttermere with Fleetwith Pike at the far end.

The same view but higher up the slope now

Looking down on Buttermere with Grasmoor beyond.

Up on the top now in the cold wind looking at High Crag

Looking down to Seat with Hay Stacks beyond, and Great Gable in the distance

On top of Hay Stacks looking back along Buttermere

Innominate Tarn - cold and icy

Looking across to Great Gable and Kirk Fell

The view back along Buttermere with Fleetwith Pike on the left and Hay Stacks on the right

And the view back from Buttermere

I'm not suprised Hay Stacks was one of Wainwright's favourites - a very atmospheric place even in the cold!

dibble

• Veteran Member
Re: Hay Stacks in early November
« Reply #1 on: 07:53:56, 14/11/08 »
Fantastic pictures and there seems like a lot of snow on the top. 
I was very near the top of Gable on Wednesday and it didn't look like that much snow, so it must have been fresh snow that you walked in?

And wow to see the red squirrels....
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:25:46, 14/11/08 »
Thanks Dibble - I was amazed to see so many in one place - a hedgerow. I had to stop for a good 10 Min's to enjoy their capers and get a decent shot. As soon as I zoomed in they were off. I had only seen 1 or 2 in my life before this - Red Squirrels must be like buses!

There was a decent amount of snow on the higher ground, but only in drifts of 3-4", but nice to be crunching around that early in the season - about 6th November. Luckily there wasn't any snow on the way down from High Crag.

A bit of sunshine makes for a decent shot as well - I should be called lucky Pete really. When I wrote up the story on the Sunday after I saw a horse called Innominate running at Carlisle - so I had to have a bet - it was 3rd at 10/1 - Good old Alfred!

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:10:58, 14/11/08 »
That is a wlak i have been meaning to do for a while. Pics are really good Pete.
I am off to the lakes tonight to walk the Fairfield horsehoe on Saturday, hope the peaks are white.

Steelystan

« Reply #4 on: 16:12:27, 14/11/08 »
You lucker [censored]**er Pete.  I was up Haystacks and Fleetwith last Saturday and it was rotten.  Rained continually, light was rubbish and visibility awful.  I would have killed for the clear views you got.  I'd never been up Haystacks before so its still a mystery to me what you can see, and the same from Fleetwith for that matter (well, I could see over to Robinson, but nothing back towards Great gable).  This pic is what I could see from Fleetwith looking back to haystacks - looks like the entrance to Hell.

Still I'm there again next week so I might have another carck at and do Brandreth and Grey Knott too

SS
178/214.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:00:32, 14/11/08 »
I am a lucky b&*%$£r but I keep a close eye on the weather and am lucky enough to be able to go when the weather is ok.
The story is now on the blog:-

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/nov2.htm

Steelystan

« Reply #6 on: 22:27:03, 15/11/08 »
Pete

What sort of lens were you using on the picture of Innominate tarn?  Its looks a fairly wide angle.  Got a nice feel to it in the foreground.

Regards

SS
178/214.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:25:23, 16/11/08 »
Stan - I use an Olympus 560uz with an 18X optical zoom, giving a 27mm-486mm equiv. range. I find that I can get much more into the picture than I used to with my digital compact. But it has so many different features to use, I tend to just put it in auto mode - otherwise I find myself stopping too much and never get any walking done.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy