Author Topic: TR Dodd and St Bega's Church Sat 31 Aug 19  (Read 1848 times)

April

• Veteran Member
TR Dodd and St Bega's Church Sat 31 Aug 19
« on: 18:59:18, 04/09/19 »
We got off the 554 at Dodd Wood on Saturday. We'd slept in and missed the earlier bus, the 73 Caldbeck Rambler. We got there at 10.30 and we were lucky there was no rain. We were doing a day walk; no camping because the wind was forecast to be very strong at any height. We visited the Osprey Viewpoint and the staff were very helpful and they found some ospreys for us to look at. We even saw a red squirrel but I didnt get a very good shot of it. The ospreys were too far away to photograph, in fact, we could barely see them through the telescope things they had there, they were too far away.

The view from the Osprey Viewpoint in Dodd Wood

The view from the forest roads up to Dodd

There was a little rain now and again but it wasn't too bad a day.   

Beefy and Squeaky on the forest road   

We'd stopped for some lunch near Long Doors and we had a  pretty good view. The wind was blustery and cold and it felt like Autumn was well established. Farewell summer  :(

We got going again pleased to be warming up on the last climb to the top. As we got almost onto the top of Dodd there were a group of people on the main path. They were doing some sort of arm waving/dance thing and a man who was taking photos gestured to us to go up this rough steep path, the naughty short cut path to get onto the top. We did and took our summit shots. 

Beefy and Squeaky on Dodd summit

It was very surreal, we could see the group of people now standing with their arms crossed as if in prayer. We had to leave the summit the same way we came up because they were still on the path. It was a tricky descent, slippery rock and steep. I have no problem with whatever they were doing there, each to their own but perhaps they should have been off the path so walkers could visit the summit?

I did a google at home later and found the people on Dodd summit were doing yoga for Another Way. Another Way is an organisation encouraging sustainable living and they are well meaning and has been founded by Amy Bray who is 16 years old  O0 See https://www.another-way.org.uk/another-waynwright/

If only we had known who they were we could have told them about our low carbon/sustainable lifestyle, only using public transport, cycling or walking everywhere, my veganism, Beefy almost being a veggie/vegan etc. We might have even joined in with the yoga bit... but encouraged them to move off the path  ;)

The view to Bass Lake from Dodd 

We descended to the Sawmill Tea Room and had a coffee. It was very nice coffee but it was a very small cup for how much it cost  :o We then walked to St Bega's Church

In St Bega's Church

Dodd from St Bega's Church

St Bega's church 

On the way back by Mirehouse to the Dodd Wood bus stop

The walk from Dodd Wood to St Bega's is a very nice (if you close your eyes while you go by the water pipeline work) if too short walk, but it fills in time waiting for the next bus. We got the 73 back at 15.40, nice to say hello to all the regular 73 peeps we'd missed in the morning. Our walk was Dodd Wood bus stop - Osprey Viewpoint - forest road by Brock Crag - Long Doors - Dodd summit - Long Doors - Skill Beck - Mirehouse - St Bega's Church - Mirehouse - Dodd Wood bus stop. 10.5km with 569m ascent.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Dodd and St Bega's Church Sat 31 Aug 19
« Reply #1 on: 19:15:32, 04/09/19 »
We descended to the Sawmill Tea Room and had a coffee. It was very nice coffee but it was a very small cup for how much it cost  :o We then walked to St Bega's Church
Yeah to pray for forgiveness for swearing at the size and price  :o
Great pics Ape was a nice little walk apart from the obstruction  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:27:33, 04/09/19 »
Lovely pics and report.
It's really not on for people to decide to completely block the path.
Yes, Autumn feels like it is on the way.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:47:19, 04/09/19 »
Yeah to pray for forgiveness for swearing at the size and price  :o

:) Size isn't everything  ;D  But them cups of coffee were tiny!  ;)

Thanks Ridge, aye, autumn seems to have arrived. A good time to try out a more drafty, not as warm tent for 3 nights this weekend  O0  ;D
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:48:22, 04/09/19 »
Nice autumnal feel to your pictures, April.

Took me a little while to identify where you were, mind you; I'm not familiar with Dodd.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:49:01, 04/09/19 »
. A good time to try out a more drafty, not as warm tent for 3 nights this weekend  O0  ;D

Did you get the Hubba then?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:57:18, 04/09/19 »
Aye, we got the MSR Hubba Hubba. I'm taking a few layers in case I'm cold  ;)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:37:36, 04/09/19 »
Nice pics A O0
Weather is looking a little better this weekend I hope it is because today has felt like December  :(

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:30:05, 04/09/19 »
Regarding the Hubba Hubba - rather too much mesh for my liking I'm afraid. Hope that you are not too cold!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:41:26, 05/09/19 »
Weather is looking a little better this weekend I hope it is because today has felt like December  :(

I'm pleased because we are out for 3 nights  :)

Regarding the Hubba Hubba - rather too much mesh for my liking I'm afraid.

I don't think we will be using it when it does get colder, we will take the Elixir instead. We are using the Hubba Hubba this weekend, a 3 nighter so I hope we are warm enough too  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:17:02, 05/09/19 »
Lovely pics April, I share your frustration with people blocking paths etc.  Hope you enjoy the new tent this weekend, at least the forecast is better than last weekend.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:52:03, 05/09/19 »
Should have got beefy to jet blast em off the path  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:31:14, 05/09/19 »
Nice TR April. Hopefully the weather is good this weekend for your 3 nighter. I think I'd have asked the yoga people to move rather than a slippery rock steep descent but I'm not as brave as you, or more antisocial, probably both!

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:10:09, 05/09/19 »
If only we had known who they were we could have told them about our low carbon/sustainable lifestyle, only using public transport, cycling or walking everywhere, my veganism, Beefy almost being a veggie/vegan etc.

Ha.. what about the carnage caused by the wine pipeline scything across Cumbria to your house...HS2 is nothing in comparison. Not to mention the rare species evicted from the field where the storage tank is built.
Environmental vandals the pair of you ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:08:41, 05/09/19 »
Thanks pdstp and Rob  :)

Should have got beefy to jet blast em off the path  ;D

;D

what about the carnage caused by the wine pipeline scything across Cumbria to your house

;D
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy