Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292398 times)

Little Foot

Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #975 on: 17:18:50, 04/01/20 »
Bought my son a pair of Trespass waterproof walking boots. They were fairly cheap at £27, but I doubt he'll be getting much use out of them before growing out of them. He wore them today for a 2 mile walk and he says they are comfy. Just hope they are waterproof like it states.

What was annoying was I tried Blacks for footwear but they have stopped selling children's footwear completely. I ended up getting his boots from Trespass and walking socks from Sports Direct. I bought him Trespass socks last year and they were awful. Shrunk quite a bit and ended up getting pulls all over.

Just wanted to say the Trespass Harrelson kids hiking boots were great. My son found them comfortable over the 13 miles, with no blisters or aches. They were also waterproof as we tested them in a fast flowing, old sheep wash at Brantingham, as well as a couple of sloppy, muddy puddles. Bargain at £27.

EnglishHiker

« Reply #976 on: 17:09:23, 05/01/20 »
Finally replaced my leaky (6 or 7 year old) Salomons with a pair of La Sportiva Trango Trek.
Also treated myself to a Montane Dyno XT jacket and a Go Outdoors marino wool tee.
Check out my new blog at
www.EnglishHiker.co.uk [nofollow]

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #977 on: 20:06:32, 11/01/20 »
My latest walking kit purchases have mostly been....

A new replacement "winter duvet" jacket (RIP my old faithful)
Lots of socks (one can never have too many walking socks)
A windshirt (quite chuffed with this little bargain purchase)
A headtorch
A couple of fleecy tops
Some new walking trooos

God I love being born so near to Xmas and then going on holiday when the sales are on  :D

MudMagnet

« Reply #978 on: 10:19:48, 13/01/20 »
Excitedly waiting for delivery of my Alpkit Numo air bed.  Loved my Thermarest but after many years of use it finally gave up the ghost.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #979 on: 11:30:45, 13/01/20 »
A new fire maple gas stove this one has a pre-heat tube so it should be better in the cold. And, a new pot to go with it. The old set was adoised aluminium and the coating had all worn away.

Hadrian

« Reply #980 on: 13:28:50, 13/01/20 »
Pair of Montane Prism gloves. Ultra lightweight and pack away into a tiny stuff sack.
Mammut Add-on bottle holder that attaches to the shoulder strap on my Osprey Daylite Plus.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #981 on: 20:23:46, 13/01/20 »
Are your Montain Prism's mittens or gloves? I have a pair of their really lightweight mittens and I use a thin £1.49 pair of Decathlon gloves with them. As a combination, they keep my hands warm as toast, used separately they are less effective, but good enough when I just want my hands covered in mild weather.

Hadrian

« Reply #982 on: 20:28:38, 13/01/20 »
Are your Montain Prism's mittens or gloves? I have a pair of their really lightweight mittens and I use a thin £1.49 pair of Decathlon gloves with them. As a combination, they keep my hands warm as toast, used separately they are less effective, but good enough when I just want my hands covered in mild weather.

They’re the gloves. I’m going to try them out on a walk on Sunday. If I find they need an extra layer I’ll buy some liners.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #983 on: 20:28:44, 13/01/20 »
I bought a small container of 'dry shower' today, I always like to carry some with me when I hike. On a hot day it can be really helpful under the arms and in other private areas and also when I'm feeling sticky I apply some to the nape of the neck and around the back of the neck as well to revive me. Sometimes when my feet are just too hot I just rub some on to revive them as well.

Hadrian

« Reply #984 on: 12:46:17, 14/01/20 »
Eurohike boot bag from Millets. Well made and only £3. Bargain!

Whiskeytownracer

« Reply #985 on: 19:21:05, 14/01/20 »
A few pairs of Darn Tough socks. Early impressions are very favourable, almost faultless in fact. Time will be the test, but if/when they fail I hope they stand by their guarantee.

watershed

« Reply #986 on: 14:41:18, 15/01/20 »
I bought a small container of 'dry shower' today, I always like to carry some with me when I hike. On a hot day it can be really helpful under the arms and in other private areas and also when I'm feeling sticky I apply some to the nape of the neck and around the back of the neck as well to revive me. Sometimes when my feet are just too hot I just rub some on to revive them as well.

Hi gunwharfman, that sounds useful for a multi day trip, how effective do you find it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #987 on: 15:06:45, 15/01/20 »
I personally find it really useful, especially on those days when you're forced by circumstances to miss a shower or when it's really hot and sticky and you just feel grubby. I camp and I get going early in the morning, a palm-full rubbed under my arms in the morning does wonders for my morale. I often just rub it into my hair (although I don't have much these days) and use it to wash my face first thing in the morning as well, sets me up nicely until I stop properly to attend to my personal hygiene, which for me is usually, about 9 am.

It just comes out as foam on my hands, once rubbed in it just evaporates. Not sure of the cost, my daughter in law always buys me some before I go on a hike, I bet it's not cheap?

I like to take the small bottle rather than the large, it weighs less and takes up less space.

watershed

« Reply #988 on: 18:20:27, 15/01/20 »
Thanks gunwharfman, that's me ordered a small one now.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #989 on: 12:09:07, 16/01/20 »
Three items but only two of them are for walking, the thrid is walking related.

Inov8 Roclite 345 GTX boots  - Not retiring my trusted Salomons or Mammuts just yet, just wanted to try something a lot lighter.
Montane Hydrogen Extreme Smock -  An impulse buy from the Montane Factory Outlet - went for a new down jacket but left with a  Pertex Quantum smock instead..

Camping Stove Gas Canister refill adaptor  - Sick and tired of having half empty jetboil canisters (or their equivalent) in my cookkit and then having to take a full canister with me 'just in case', so decided to invest the princely sum of £3.71 on an adaptor.  Works exacly as it should allows me to transfer gas between canisters to 'top' them off, meaning I no longer have to head out with one and a half canisters but just take the one full one.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy