Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292197 times)

strawy

Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #780 on: 22:41:31, 12/06/19 »
Yeh,i said to myself never buy fabric boots after a crap pair 3 years ago,a "good mood" buy i think,I,ll tread carefully  ;)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #781 on: 12:07:55, 16/06/19 »
My purchase is a SIM card, which I use use most when I'm hiking.

I have a 2 SIM phone, one card is for phone calls the other is for the internet. I'm not a contract person but on this occasion, I've signed up for an ongoing contract which gives me 1mb of internet per four weeks.

I was paying £5 for 500mb of internet but I'm now paying £5 for 1mb. I'm pleased.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #782 on: 12:17:05, 16/06/19 »
My purchase is a SIM card, which I use use most when I'm hiking.

I have a 2 SIM phone, one card is for phone calls the other is for the internet. I'm not a contract person but on this occasion, I've signed up for an ongoing contract which gives me 1mb of internet per four weeks.

I was paying £5 for 500mb of internet but I'm now paying £5 for 1mb. I'm pleased.

I assume you are now getting 1GB for £5. Otherwise, it doesn’t seem like such a good deal.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #783 on: 12:30:38, 16/06/19 »
Your right, I've just checked. I must learn to remember my MB's from my GB's.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #784 on: 12:42:13, 16/06/19 »
One of the route's I'm planning goes across where four maps meet, which it a right pain. So, I've had one custom printed to cover this area, much easier to see the route. Cost £16. Also a new pair of socks, the last of the big spenders or what?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #785 on: 12:50:15, 16/06/19 »
Where are you heading, Owen?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #786 on: 13:18:31, 16/06/19 »
A repeat of my Aviemore to Fort William walk via Ben Macdui, Ben Alder, the grey Corrie's and Ben Nevis. That's what I was trying to do at the end of April but my ankle hadn't healed enough.

I've changed the route between Ben Macdui and Dalwhinnie. Because I've realized that the way I was going was just too much untracked heather and boggy moor. My new route goes further north via the head of Glen Tromie and Meall Chuaich. There's quite a bit of walking on estate roads this way, which I'm not really keen on but it will be easier going.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #787 on: 13:42:32, 16/06/19 »

Good luck, Owen - hope that it goes better than last time.
Not doing much walking myself right now as in the process of selling our house!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #788 on: 10:20:58, 17/06/19 »
I use my smartphone a lot when I'm hiking so I decided to visit PC World yesterday. I bought one or their soft touch stylus pens for £1.99. I left my last one in a coffee shop recently and couldn't be bothered to walk a mile back to see if it was still there and collect it. I've never liked on-screen keyboards as I'm forever correcting mistakes when I finger-type so I find a stylus much easier to use, especially when I'm on the move. If I need to do a bit of work in the evening and settled with a pint I use a cheap Bluetooth folding keyboard.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #789 on: 12:37:10, 17/06/19 »
I use my smartphone a lot when I'm hiking so I decided to visit PC World yesterday. I bought one or their soft touch stylus pens for £1.99. I left my last one in a coffee shop recently and couldn't be bothered to walk a mile back to see if it was still there and collect it. I've never liked on-screen keyboards as I'm forever correcting mistakes when I finger-type so I find a stylus much easier to use, especially when I'm on the move. If I need to do a bit of work in the evening and settled with a pint I use a cheap Bluetooth folding keyboard.
Thanks yet again for two great tips GWM.
Will be paying a visit to that very shop now over the next couple of days.
I have turnips for fingers.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Pitboot

« Reply #790 on: 20:07:10, 17/06/19 »
A pair of Hanwag Tatra boots, leather lined non goretex. I have tried on a lot of boots recently and was looking to buy British but these were a fantastic fit after a few false starts in the shop. Looking forward to trying them out, maybe tomorrow. Had to grit my teeth over the cost but these days it's comfort that counts.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #791 on: 12:09:49, 20/06/19 »
A new pair of wrap around clear glasses (Rockriders) to protect my eyes from wind and rain. From Decathlon, £3.99. I'm forever losing them, so easy and cheap to replace. I'm not a sunglasses fan and for me, these are just right!

Ralph

« Reply #792 on: 15:53:12, 20/06/19 »
Speedster 30ml alcohol burner for use with Esbit  cookset.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #793 on: 18:09:43, 20/06/19 »

Interesting, I didn't ever consider using a stylus pen.  May give it a go as my fingers are on the large size.  O0

Does it work on a wet screen?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #794 on: 18:20:53, 20/06/19 »
Interesting, I didn't ever consider using a stylus pen.  May give it a go as my fingers are on the large size.  O0

Does it work on a wet screen?
I got two yesterday.  One to use and one to lose ;D
Not sure about wet screen useage though. But it fits the letters better than my fingers in today's atmospheric conditions up here in Northumberland, where I am today.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy