Author Topic: funniest walk!!  (Read 3984 times)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
funniest walk!!
« on: 18:58:28, 03/11/06 »
Pls write about the most funniest walk you done!!

Here one from me. When i first started walking and got into in it we decided to go to wales we were heading up snowdon fine lovely day not to hard than we started to ascent up snowdon when the ridge went narrow. fine carried on than the wind picked up and the fence was know where to be seen i felt like the wind was going to push me off the cliff i started to get vertigo we was stood there for 20 mins until it stopped once it stopped i was fine and.We  carried on to the top yeeeaaahhhh. I also got vertigo at the top and had to sit down which my partner took a horrible picture of me at the top

I have stopped eating has much cheese which as helped.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Deerplay

Re: funniest walk!!
« Reply #1 on: 00:02:26, 04/11/06 »
There are lots. One that springs to mind is walking the Cosmiques Ridge from the Aguiille du Midi and meeting what seemed like the entire French Gendarmerie coming the other way on some sort of exercise. They tried to tell us we were going the wrong way and threatened to arrest us if we didn't turn back and subsequently split their sides laughing when we appeared suitably distressed. Not the sort of experience you want up there. Others include getting disorientated and turning he wrong way in cloud at the top of St Sunday Crag and ending up in Grasmere rather than Patterdale, well its funny now, wasn't then. Swimming in Red Tarn on a warm day in November! Doing Crib Goch a cheval because it was so slippery with ice! Being nearly blown off Pike O Blisco. It seems that the funniest walks are funny in retrospect not at the time! If you want a few mor I can probably come up with some.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:36:42, 12/11/06 »
Come on guys there must be some laugh a mintines moments from when you were out walking. here your chance to post your funniest outings
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Emma

« Reply #3 on: 18:25:10, 13/11/06 »
I don't think I've had that many that have been really funny - but its been fun thinking of previous outings.

Recently - out on a walk with a guy and I was been being all coy and pretending I'm not a good walker, not great with maps etc. He was reccying a walk for our walking group and I accompanyied him. We got to a point and he wasn't sure where we should be going - or even where we were on the map. He stood there for ages, looking around - umming and arring - like they do.
I asked him if i could look at the map, and i looked around - spotted the buildings and pylons that corressponded with the map in front of me and voila - I knew exactly where we were and where we needed to go. His face dropped!!!
(not sure if he was letting me look good or if he honestly didn't know where we were)

Another time, doing snowdon, one friend - not partcularly familiar with walking was in the local spar or some such shop buying his lunch and drink. He came out of the shop with three 2litre bottles of dandelion and burdock. Nothing else. We told him to buy food and a smaller bottle of water instead but, hey ho, he'd made up his mind!
Needless to say he was feeling slightly exhausted by the top and was looking rather peaky. He left the remaining bottles of pop in the bin in the station at the top! Its really the look on his face that was the funniest.

And my final one was walking in wales on the top of a hill - it was strangely boggy for the plateau of a hill, and there was apparently no way of crossing the plateau without going through the bog - which LOOKED to be about knee height. No one fancied going through it but we saw a barbed wire fence - rotten and rusty and very old. Some of the guys tried it first, and it looked really safe - bit of a balancing act needed but ok. So us three girls needed to give it a go. I was petrified about ending up in the boggy stuff, but managed it. i wish i could say the same for my friend. She lost balance and jumped into boggy stuff!!!! YUK! It was actually up to her thighs.
we were lucky really as the guys did a really good job of rescuing her. I'm a lot more cautious nowadays - being older and wiser and all that.

PS sorry if any of the people i've written about read this!!

Robbosoul

« Reply #4 on: 21:49:39, 25/03/07 »
I suffer terribly from vertigo including going up the eiffel tower and refusing to let go of the lift door at the top but funniest / saddest experience for me was going up helvelyn 2 years ago. On ascent from Glenridding in thick mist  i was soon knackered and sat down for a rest only to see a fell runner approaching and passing me at speed. At the top of whiteside my mate hurt his knee and said he would wait till i got back from helvelyn summit so off i went and reached helvelyn little man 100ft from summit when the mist cleared and i nearly sh----t my pants when vertigo kicked in big time. I sat down and steeled myself for the final push but my legs wouldnt move and after 10 mins i had to turn back. If my mate had been with me i would have got him to drag me to the top but as the mist was still hanging around as i got back to whiteside i told my mate that i had waved at him from the summit and that he should have been there. To this day he doesn,t know the truth but the last laugh was when we crawled down again and the bloody fell runner ran past us again after topping out on three summits in 1 hour.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:29:50, 25/03/07 »
Well i was walking last year, i had done a good few miles over a few days when i came across, 1. hill, lots of cows and a stone wall around 4-5 foot tall..

As i stated walking up the hill a few of the cows started walking down, i thought wow these are friendly ladys, so i carried on walking up the hill, it wasn't of any great height but i was carrying around 80lb pack, so starting to work a little. By this stage their are now quite a lot of cows, friendly but very nosy, so much so that they started in giving me  a little push here and there. So as most people know , i held my arms outstretched, carried on walking and by now speaking loudly, along the lines of " come on ladys let me pass" to "for the love of god get out of the way".

Anyway as i aproach the top most of the cows have already gone over the top, i'm thinking to myself, yep, result that moved them along, at which moment they all start walking over the top straight towards me. Now i know that this does'nt really seem worrying to most and to be honest i just put my arms out again and smiling to myself, with the thought yep i've got this cracked, started shouting "come on move along the bus ladys".

Now a may be wrong but i swear i was ambushed... yes thats right ambushed by of all things cows!
They parted as if on key and the biggest beast i have ever seen came right through the middle of them.
My god i thought this bull is hugh, as i am trying not to walk to fast back down the hill, that just took me about 35 mins getting up. Now i do know that the red thing and bulls is not supposed to be true but as i am walking uncooly fast, i realised my hugh pack is totaly red.

I get about half way down and convice myself this is stupid, just stand still and slowly walk back up and past the monster sized bull. So i stop turn around and stand there looking at him and guess what it worked,  well for all of ten seconds, the next few moments were a bit of a blur but what i can remember is me at full pelt going down hill with this blo**y big bull at full pelt after me,  and this were the wall comes in, as i said it is only about 4-5 foot tall and i did have the added incentive of the bull gaining very quickly. No problem i thought... wrong i cleared about 3 foot of it, the pack was to heavy to jump with and there was no way i was stopping to take it off.

So i am lying there, and all i can see is about 10 maybe 15 cows and one big bull all looking down and drooling on me, with the odd little snort, which to the day i swear was a laugh.

Well thats one of my (now) funniest moments.
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:59:42, 26/03/07 »
Me and a pal once got caught in a thunderstorm, and took shelter in an old, abandoned railway tunnel.

We stayed there for ages, watching the sheets of water coming down.  Time was getting on and we had a bus to catch.  Time came and we had to leave to catch the bus.  I suggested a short cut through some woods, over a stream (that didn't seem that wide on the map - bl**dy thin, blue squiggly lines!). Came to it, and I thought no, we'd better turn back.  My friend calls me some names, and to get out of the way, and which point he slips on a moss covered log and falls in river.

I hit the floor in laughter and mock him continuously for the rest of the walk.  In the village, we have missed the bus, and have to wait an hour and a half, playing "eye spy" for the next one!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:01:12, 26/03/07 »
Funniest walk?

That's easy. John Cleese in Monty Pythons Ministry sketch.  ;)

Oh a real walk? erm... I'll get back to you on that one.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

marathonman

« Reply #8 on: 11:30:52, 30/01/08 »
I'm new to the world of walking, but did go on a couple of small ones when I was in Exmoor over Christmas. A little place called Lynton, close to a b'n'b we were staying at round those parts.

I do suffer terribly from vertigo though and it was hard on one of the cliff top walks. I just have this feeling i am being pulled to the edge and have to sit down! Not sure there's any real solution though.

kkm

« Reply #9 on: 12:32:40, 30/01/08 »
trying to think of some funny moments.........

yep - we have discovered this thing that we called day sack rage.......
there you are, full pack on your back, with all your gear, walking along, every stile is a major climb......and there goes the day sackers - literally skipping along, and hurdling the stiles, giving you a very cheery "hello!" when your ready to die.......yep i suffer from day sack rage......... ;D

oh and then there was a day when i was struggling a bit, and a group of "elderly" day sackers past us a few times that day.....the last time heard "look at him - he's off again.....racing on ahead of her! you'd think he'd stay with her and help her down!"..........i had a chuckle thru the pain...... ;D

and then of course theres the fact that mr kkm is always about 5 mins to 10 mins ahead of me, so about every few miles he stops to allow me to catch up.....at which point i get "you good to go????!" after he's had a good break .......... :)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:39:42, 30/01/08 »
trying to think of some funny moments.........

I actually quite find the idea of you doing 'kata' on hilltops quite amusing.  Not sure why, but I'm sure I'd give you a wide berth if I came across you doing it.  ;D

kkm

« Reply #11 on: 12:44:34, 30/01/08 »
well mr b - if i ever get to do a walk with you guys, i might just treat you to an exhibition, then you can all laugh yourselves silly........ ;D :D ;D

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:55:13, 30/01/08 »
well mr b - if i ever get to do a walk with you guys, i might just treat you to an exhibition, then you can all laugh yourselves silly........ ;D :D ;D

If you come on the Lyke Wake with us in June, you'll be too knackered to do a kata, or if you do it'll be a half-hearted one!  ;)

kkm

« Reply #13 on: 12:57:59, 30/01/08 »
i have a feeling of deja vue......... ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:54:27, 06/02/08 »
Bulls, vertigo... some of these don't strike me as funny at all!

In pre-children days my wife and I were walking up the Old Man on a very hot day. When we got to Goat Tarn there was a group of Scouts (aged 10 - 13 ish, so very easy to embarrass) swimming and as we drew level with them their Scout Master called them to come and get dry and dressed. They all obediently headed for the shore until as they climbed out they realised that the water had made their underwear (which they were swimming in) see through and that there was a strange woman (my wife) just where all their bags and towels were.
There was then a huge moment of indecision and then they all, as one, jumped back in to the water.

There were also Scouts on the summit that day, I assume that there is some sort of pack rota so that there are always some there to fulfill the picture in Wainwright.
« Last Edit: 13:56:20, 06/02/08 by Ridge »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy