Author Topic: New member needs advice  (Read 1175 times)

romaway

New member needs advice
« on: 22:24:07, 09/01/08 »
Hello every one.  I was looking for walking information and the trusty internet directed me to you lot.  I am sure it is pointing me in the right direction.

I have just joined a walking group and have been walking with them for about 6 months once a week.  I want to do more and have just done my first 12 mile walk with the Ramblers group and am planning to do two a week at least.

I just love walking.  We have a camper van and love camping too but my husband has recently become unwell and is no longer able to do much but he still loves going off in the van whenever we can, which is often.

Now I am trying to find somewhere, anywhere, that will enable  us to camp up on site, allow me to join a group walk but be able to leave the other half in the van to rest and relax for the day which would suit him fine.

Does anyone know if there are any campsites that combine walking with camping.  The problem with us just camping and me joining a group walk is that I would have to use the van to get to a meeting place and that could mean leaving the van in a car park all day, not much good for poor old hubby.

WE have looked at walking holidays but they are so expensive and he just prefers camping and freedom to a hotel!!!

So any ideas gratefully received?

romaway

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: New member needs advice
« Reply #1 on: 22:47:12, 09/01/08 »
Hmmmm  a difficult question - I dont know of any campsites that do both camping and walking (although this is not to say that there aren't any.)
The problem seems to revolve around providing shelter, which is not in a car park(!) for hubby whilst you're off enjoying yourself on a guided walk.
The answer seems to be to buy a big tent in which to store the husband when you're off in the van. These dont have to be specially expensive, although your campsite fees will increase, and some places don't allow tents. He could repay you for your consideration by making the tea which will be ready for your return.
Or get a taxi or bus  to the walk starting place- this is often much less difficult than you'd imagine and relieves you of the stress of trying to get a camper van under one of those height-limiting barriers they have in many places to prevent camper vans getting into car parks.
Hopefully, others will have better ideas than either of these!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

romaway

« Reply #2 on: 18:28:45, 10/01/08 »
Thank you Mike

However I think poor old fella might not like being stored in a tent without a pub or the like nearby!!!!

I am back to the drawing board and will probably stick to keeping the hobbies separate, camping for camping and walking from a hotel or hostel.  I will try and book myself a walking holiday and leave him at home which he assures me is fine by him!!  In fact I think he is actually looking forward to a few days without me!!

So now, any ideas for reasonable priced walking holidays would be appreciated.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:40:52, 13/01/08 »
The campsite at Great Langdale, may be a good start, as you have three pubs for hubby and you could join up with a group walking  O0

Also maybe one of are walking week-ends, as we walk in the day and end in the pub at night  ;D O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

romaway

« Reply #4 on: 10:29:28, 14/01/08 »
Thank you for the reply summitzero.  I have had a look at this site on the UKCS forum and it has really good reviews.  I may well head there this Spring. 

It would be nice to end the day in the local pub as well and then amble  off to our cosy little camper at end of the evening. 

muymalestado

« Reply #5 on: 11:54:34, 14/01/08 »
Later through the year there may be walking festivals which would suit.
I think this next one will be the top ...

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:59:19, 23/01/08 »
You could have a look here.....there are plenty of sites in the Lake District that would suit.
http://www.lakedistrictcamping.co.uk/

Regards,
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy