Author Topic: Gravesend to Land's End - Is it done?  (Read 1223 times)

GAE161

Gravesend to Land's End - Is it done?
« on: 12:49:57, 21/01/08 »
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to long distance hiking although I am a keen cyclist and long distance runner.  I had the idea at the weekend to do a sponsored walk from my hometown in Dover to Land's end, figuring it to be a 500 - 600km walk.  I am giving myself a deadline of the end of June to gain experience in long distance walking.  I have been searching the internet for hours but can't seem to get a constant trail from the Saxon shoreway to land's end.  I was sure that it has been done in the past.  Can anyone help?

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
Re: Gravesend to Land's End - Is it done?
« Reply #1 on: 19:25:53, 22/01/08 »
I don't know if this is any help to you, but in 1978 a walker named John Merrill walked the entire coastline of Britain, and wrote a book about it called, "Turn Right At Land's End".

There's a copy currently for sale on www.abebooks.co.uk for just 90p plus £3.35 p&p.  [Make sure you look on .co.uk rather than .com otherwise the prices will be in dollars.]

Now stand back, the rest of you, and give GAE161 the chance to buy it first!

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:21:17, 22/01/08 »
 Still got my copy of John's book that I purchased back in 1980.

Didn't Janet St Porter walk from Dover to  North Wales? I can recall her going along the south coast and thne heading up into Wales.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:33:31, 22/01/08 »
 Here you go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coast-Dungeness-Weston-super-Mare-

I remember thr TV programme from ten years ago,it was quite a good route and you can follow the coast path from Weston to LE.Not a bad price either,36p!!!!

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:05:11, 22/01/08 »
The Amazon link you gave isn't working, Tony

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy