Author Topic: Walking with hip injury  (Read 956 times)

Mini724

Walking with hip injury
« on: 20:13:05, 29/01/08 »
Hi,

I'm new to the boards and would like a little advice.

My partner broke his acetabulum in August last year in a mountain biking accident.  He has had it pinned and plated but there is still a slight risk of a total hip replacement dependent on his progress in the next couple of years.

We have both always been very outdoorsy and used to do a lot of walking.  I'm doing the Yorkshire Three Peaks in August with work and I think he's a bit sad that he won't be able to do it too and he has no idea whether he will ever be able to do much strenuous hill walking again.

My question is, has anybody got any inspirational stories about bad hip injuries and their impact on hill walking?

Thanks very much,

Chris

muymalestado

Re: Walking with hip injury
« Reply #1 on: 09:40:15, 30/01/08 »
Welcome mini724. 

My anecdotes do not stretch to people incurring the severity of injury you describe, but a couple of them are back out walking 'lesser' routes which still get them up to mountain tops.  Good professional advice and treatment seems to be a common factor.  My observation is that getting to know limits is important.

Hope to meet you both one day; on your way down from the top!
I think this next one will be the top ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:54:42, 30/01/08 »
 There are many people who have overcome adversity to walk long distance.In 1981 Terry Fox,aged 21, ran most of the way across Canada despite having his leg amputated above the knee the previous year.Sadly Terry died before he could complete his task but he had managed to run over 3000 miles averaging 26 miles a day.Chris Moone,who had a leg and arm blown off in a landmine accident managed to complete the tough Marathon des Sable.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:35:21, 30/01/08 »
John Merrill, while walking the 7000 miles of the UK coastline, experienced a stress fracture in his leg after 3000 miles, and had to rest it for a while.  The doctors were all sceptical about his walking chances after that, but a month later he thought "s@d it!" and continued, and was soon walking 20-30 miles a day to complete the walk ... the only problem was it took another 1000 miles of walking for the pain to completely fade!  :o

Mini724

« Reply #4 on: 13:33:12, 30/01/08 »
Thanks for your replies.  Hopefully with the help of a good physiotherapist he will be able to start hill walking again soon.  I really hope so as we live in the West Pennines and have so much opportunity to go walking straight from our doorstep. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy