Author Topic: away with the kids......  (Read 1299 times)

kkm

away with the kids......
« on: 18:53:06, 01/02/08 »
now i've started to do a bit of walking, i'd like to get the junior kkm's involved as well. the big 'un (12) is a bit of a girlie girl, but has tried some climbing and orienteering with her school and really enjoyed it. the little 'un (9) hasn't, and always manages to have "tired legs" when we do go anywhere.....

so i'm looking for advice on two things really. first of all, i want to take them away at easter, and take them walking. so can anyone recommend a good area for us to try out, as i dont want to frighten them off....i'm a bit of a "well lets jump in and see if i can swim" sort of person, so what i might think is ok, might not be for them.

and number 2, how can i avoid the youngest (apart from leaving him behind) getting bored and tired too easily?

oh, live in staffordshire, and also have close links to north and south yorkshire, so anywhere roughly about an hours drive from either would be ideal.

oh, and apart from camping, can anyone suggest any good self catering options, either a cottage/ something similar etc as well.....

i know, i dont want much........ :)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: away with the kids......
« Reply #1 on: 20:41:30, 01/02/08 »
Difficult question - Easter is busy more or less everywhere, though its early this year, so the cold might put people off a bit (!)
If I still had sprogs of that age, I'd probably head for the North Yorks coast - Scarborough- or even Whitby.... or somewhere like that. That way, if the hills are a flop, there's beaches to walk on , and if the beaches are a flop, there's amusement arcades, fast food, train home to put them on whilst you enjoy yourself.......
There's plenty of accomodation apart from campsites - self catering flats, cottages, mobile homes (brrrr! - cold in winter) , there's a YHA at Whitby.... and bilberry pies(probably not at Easter, though) .... smoked haddock.... kippers.... folk music...chip shops....  steam trains - 1960's bobbies...flat cap tossing competitions, lard eating races... sorry - getting silly now...
and its in North Yorkshire...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 01:06:51, 02/02/08 »
apart from camping, can anyone suggest any good self catering options

Although a critic of their current management, Youth Hostels are a good option.

S.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:41:13, 03/02/08 »
Peak District?

Caves and Castle in Castleton.
Haddon Hall and Chatsworth House.
Lots of walking.

I'm not sure I can help with the 'tired legs' as the problem I've always had with my eldest, now 9, is that he will never say he is too tired to carry on so you have to judge it for him. What I will say though is that he does not just walk for the pure enjoyment of it. He is definitely a Peak Bagger and wants to know how many miles we've gone, how high we've been, is this a Wainwright , has he walked it before etc. Perhaps you can interest him is this and the map reading and planning which my son also enjoys.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:05:06, 03/02/08 »
He is definitely a Peak Bagger and wants to know how many miles we've gone, how high we've been, is this a Wainwright , has he walked it before etc. .

Bless 'im (sniff)... and they say that the youth of today is no good....

kkm

« Reply #5 on: 20:58:41, 03/02/08 »
some good idea's there. think youth hostels are a good plan - they can help set the scene and atmosphere for them, and should we have any falling in mud (usually me) we wouldn't have to worry about mess to much. will have a bit of a delve around and make some plans  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:41:17, 05/02/08 »
Bless 'im (sniff)... and they say that the youth of today is no good....

Apparently if he doesn't complete all the Wainwrights with me, because I get too old or die, he'll finish them with his son.

Now in some ways that is great, I started walking with my Dad and my son wants to continue the tradition.
In another way it makes you want to shout 'I know you think I'm ancient but Wainwright hadn't even started writting the books when he was as young as I am!'

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:06:37, 05/02/08 »
Very precious times, Ridge, you're very lucky.  I've found that now my sprogs have grown up, that some of the experiences they had out on the hills turned out to be formative, though I didn't really appreciate that at the time - we all thought we were just having jollies!
Your lad sounds very single minded and determined - really useful qualities for hillwalking.
By the way, don't mention the Marilyns!

muymalestado

« Reply #8 on: 10:56:17, 05/02/08 »
Is this because Marilyns, or Sheilas, or Annies, or Gails, or Lindas would turn his head?  ;D
I think this next one will be the top ...

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:13:03, 05/02/08 »
 ;D ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy