Author Topic: Fingers swelling while walking  (Read 5052 times)

wellerchap

Fingers swelling while walking
« on: 15:48:41, 09/02/08 »
Whenver I walk distances my fingers swell up on both hands.
I've usually put it down to my rucksack pulling around my armpits & restricting circulation, but today I did 10 miles without the sack & the bloomin' things are more swollen than usual !
My Dad, who I was walking with, suggested it's lack of water, but I'd drunk one litre on the walk & there was nothing strenuous about the route.
Having been home for an hour they're starting to return to normal, but something's happenning while I walk and I want ot know what it is.

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Re: Fingers swelling while walking
« Reply #1 on: 18:30:44, 09/02/08 »
Whenver I walk distances my fingers swell up on both hands.
I've usually put it down to my rucksack pulling around my armpits & restricting circulation, but today I did 10 miles without the sack & the bloomin' things are more swollen than usual !
My Dad, who I was walking with, suggested it's lack of water, but I'd drunk one litre on the walk & there was nothing strenuous about the route.
Having been home for an hour they're starting to return to normal, but something's happenning while I walk and I want ot know what it is.

Both myself and the wife sometimes get this. They don't swell dramatically but thet do swell. The wife notices it more because her wedding ring gets tighter. No idea what causes it though, as you say by the time I drive home they are back to normal.
Sorry I can't help more.
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:45:58, 09/02/08 »
The cause is due to the blood in the fingers not being pumped back to the heart,or at least being sluggishly pumped back.Try squeezing the hands into fists to force the blood up the arms.The rucksack probably restricts circulation and less blood flows into the arms,hence the reason for less swelling when wearing a rucksack.

It could be worst,imagine your head swelling to twice its size everytime you went for a walk. ;D

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:06:16, 09/02/08 »
Are you using walking poles? - if not, they might be worth a try because this would make your hands more elevated. Kidstypike says that the problem goes away when driving after a walk - and this could be partly  due to elevating the hands. Worth a go anyway, I would have thought.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:17:44, 09/02/08 »
Are you using walking poles? - if not, they might be worth a try because this would make your hands more elevated. Kidstypike says that the problem goes away when driving after a walk - and this could be partly  due to elevating the hands. Worth a go anyway, I would have thought.

That's true Mike, when the weather is nice I usually have my camera around my neck but carry it in my left hand. Becaause that hand is higher than the right I don't get a problem. Clever stuff eh!
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

PS. Mike.....Sean McMahon was pleased to hear that the "Treasure Chest" remains intact.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:51:11, 09/02/08 »

Are you using walking poles? - if not, they might be worth a try because this would make your hands more elevated.

Walking  poles are a good idea,not only are the arms more elevated you also get a rythmic pumping action that will help improve the circulation.I think the weird socks that Paula Radcliffe wears to run marathons serve the same purpose for the legs,assist in returning blood to the heart.Might be worth a try for people who suffer from swollen feet when walking.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:14:37, 10/02/08 »
I get this everytime I go walking and just put it down to my hands being low.  I guess it would be solved by using walking poles, but personally I don't let it bother me to the extent that I would use poles to solve it.

It is a horrible feeling though, all corned beef and bloated.  When I notice it, I just clap my hands, shake 'em about a bit and stretch my fingers.

I guess, barring the use of poles, it's pretty unavoidable right?

:-\

wellerchap

« Reply #7 on: 07:56:22, 11/02/08 »
thanks for the replies everyone....it's good to know I'm not the only one, and as my Dad has a slight problem with circulation (think I do too) I'd worried it may be down to that.
I do have poles, but don't use them as a rule....it would be interesting to test the theory, but the walk I'm doing at the moment (a nice 10 miler round where I live) would make me look a bit of a prawn  :)
However, longer "proper" walks may see them put to use & I'll report back.

wellerchap

« Reply #8 on: 21:26:05, 11/02/08 »
my friend emailed me this link to a web article on the subject that "sufferers" may find interesting...
http://walking.about.com/cs/med/a/swollenhands.htm

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy