Author Topic: General questions re. outdoor GPS's  (Read 1214 times)

GabrielKnight

General questions re. outdoor GPS's
« on: 18:50:41, 09/02/08 »
Hi,  :D

I love walking but hate getting lost all the time, and map reading in general!

I'd like to buy an outdoor GPS, looking at Garmin Colorado 300, but don't really understand what these things can / can't do.

??? 1. Does it give you a couple of numbers that tell you the grid-point you are on a map? That would be a good start!

??? 2. Best of all would be if you could program your route on the GPS (with the help of a map) before leaving home, then the GPS just keeps directing you as you go around. Is this possible, or am I still waiting for such as machine to be invented lol?!

??? 3. Screenshots of live maps etc look cool, but I bet theyre just if youre in the States? If I'm traipsing around the penines is it going to look like a green screen with a dot in the middle?, lol!
« Last Edit: 18:57:07, 09/02/08 by GabrielKnight »

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: General questions re. outdoor GPS's
« Reply #1 on: 19:44:21, 09/02/08 »
It will most probably do 1 and 2. I dont know if it will do 3. Mine doesnt, but its very old.
You should be able to do other useful things with it such as programme in a target whilst on a walk - which it will point at till you get there.
It should also tell you how high you are, how fast you're walking, what time sunrise and sunset is for your location and let you retrace your steps very accurately.
It wont make the tea or feed the dog and it might make your compass go a bit funny if it gets too close..
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:09:41, 15/02/08 »
I'm the opposite of the original poster, I love map reading and don't get lost too much.

Does anyone know of a cheap simple devise that would just give me coordinates of where I am to have with me in case of emergency. I don't want to buy an all singing GPS system as I can not imagine I would ever want to down load maps in to it or let it tell me where to go.

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:45:08, 15/02/08 »
I'm the opposite of the original poster, I love map reading and don't get lost too much.

Does anyone know of a cheap simple devise that would just give me coordinates of where I am to have with me in case of emergency. I don't want to buy an all singing GPS system as I can not imagine I would ever want to down load maps in to it or let it tell me where to go.

Like you Ridge, I prefer the map and compass....I'm getting to old for all this new stuff anyway can only just manage the pc. I'm not aware of there being anything that just gives the basic coordinates....probably a basic GPS would be better .
Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

firesi

« Reply #4 on: 20:06:47, 16/02/08 »
Hi all first post, thanks for having me.

I use a Garmin etrex GPS it was given to me but I think you can pick em up for about £50.

Think its great but you need to be able to use a map just in case all else fails.
I use memory map to plan my routes then send em to my gps.

It doesn't have a map display but others in the range do.
I always take mine & spare batteries, I try to use the map or route card as much as I can and then just use the gps as a back up it's really handy if the paths are not that clear.

It's a good basic gps but not sure how much use I would get out of it without memory map which can be fairly expensive if you buy the full set of maps.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:48:36, 18/02/08 »
Thanks for the replies.

The cheepest I've found so far is about £60 which feels like a lot of money for something that I am hoping never to use and where I will certainly never use the vast majority of its functions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy