Author Topic: Cleveland Way info/advice needed.....  (Read 1209 times)

Enigma35

Cleveland Way info/advice needed.....
« on: 22:22:51, 11/02/08 »
Hello,

I am planning on walking the Cleveland way to celebrate my 40th birthday and to raise some money for charity. I would welcome any advice and tips and recommendations of places to stay. I am starting at Helmsley and walking that route.... I am at present trying to find somewhere to stay that is nr Carlton Bank which I aim to reach on my 3rd day.

Anyway, feel free to respond and I will be very grateful for your assistance.

cheers Peter

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Re: Cleveland Way info/advice needed.....
« Reply #1 on: 16:50:04, 12/02/08 »
There is a big thread on this in another section "North Yours Moors".

There is a place called Lord Stones Cafe that have a huge field out the back of it, if you ring up and ask they will help you out.

PS The food at this place is unreal, i was there on Saturday, and check this out, Pint costs £1.

ogy

« Reply #2 on: 11:37:20, 13/02/08 »
I was at lord stones the other day too.

Yup a pint of Johns for a quid O0
And the hot chocolate goes down real well too, you get marshmallows and everything.

Fantastic place, I plan to stay there too, I think if you use the cafe then you can camp for free

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:43:56, 13/02/08 »
Not that I'm remotely interested in cheap beer, but where exactly is is pub?  I mean, if you could be precise, that would be great.
Not that it bothers me , of course, but I wouldnt want to mess up the navigation on this one.... :P

I'm just curious, thats all.....

Can you camp nearby?

.......A quid!?..   Eck!!.... O0 O0 O0 ;D
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

ogy

« Reply #4 on: 21:47:01, 13/02/08 »
the grid reference is NZ524030 matey, precise enough O0

I think you camp actually on the field next to the cafe, not too sure, I meant to ask last time I was there but it was really busy, someone else might know though

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:24:59, 13/02/08 »
Ah! Gottit - Carlton Bank - I didnt know there was anything there, but then its been a while since I walked around there.

But I can feel a visit coming on...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:34:18, 14/02/08 »
Yes its is just off the road when you come down from Carlton Bank. The camping area is around the back of Lord Stones Cafe.

I have seen quite a few posts saying 5 days is feasable for the Cleveland Way, were did people camp at when doing the walk.

Enigma35

« Reply #7 on: 21:13:13, 17/02/08 »
Many thanks for all the replies to my post.... I purchased some boots today, ordered a trail guide and so things are progressing....I am taking between 10 and 12 days to do the Cleveland, with a day off in Whitby....

any tips or advice would be more than welcome.... cheers Enigma

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy