Author Topic: new to the forum and new to walking  (Read 4892 times)

squidgystar

new to the forum and new to walking
« on: 23:16:11, 24/09/07 »
<waves>  hiya!  I'm an all-round newbie... walked Snowdon in the summer as we were randomly driving past one day and thought it would be a good idea... thoroughly enjoyed it, bought myself some walking boots and convinced a mate to drag me up Cadair Idris last weekend... still buzzing from it and wanting to get more involved!

I don't care about the weather and though I lack experience, I'm reasonably fit, running and swimming regularly... I'm 100% hopeless with a map though and I don't really know anyone willing to show me the ropes or tag along for the ride.

Figured I would join up here in the hope of finding some like minded individuals who may be willing to let me tag along some time!

(I can only find rambling clubs round here and I was hoping for something a little more meaty!)

O0
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty, well preserved piece, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a ride!

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: new to the forum and new to walking
« Reply #1 on: 23:40:08, 24/09/07 »
Hi there squidgystar!!

Welcome to the forum room, on tagging along with people. It depends on how far your welling to travel am sure there's  people on here that you can tag along with. Have you tried walking groups a round Wales or Scotland. you could get a navigation book or a navigation course as am doing one for a winter skills just for winter time on the pricey side as the range from I think don't quote me on this . A round £150-300 pounds depending on what you what.  We stayed in the summit shelter Cadair Idris over night which was cool you could hear the rock falling of the top.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:52:14, 25/09/07 »
 O0 HI Squidgystar[cool name].
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:38:40, 26/09/07 »
 O0 Aiya Squidgystar[again], yeh sounds like you had a real good start to walking..,myself Ive not walked for awhile,a couple of yrs infact and that was in and around Spain,But I'm off to the Lake District on 3rd October for a week maybe to do hopefully as much peak bagging as possible and to find some idyllic spots for wild camping,i cant wait as this trip as been set back once or twice..,anyway good for you getting into it. O0
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Feriol

« Reply #4 on: 16:42:12, 26/09/07 »
Hey Squidgy

Welcome.

Map reading is not as hard as it seems, a lot of people get intimidated by all the lines and symbols, but once you get over that its rather simple. My first piece of advice would be to get a map for somewhere local, such as a nature reserve, or a large hilly park or something, and walk around while trying to follow the map (you should only need to identify your start point on the map for this exercise) see how the changes in the land are shown on the map, get a feel for the scale, and try and spot what the symbols are in the real world (use the map key of course)

Navigation is more complex, but if you can get familiar with a map its not too difficult. I have taught several people to navigate and they were all surprised how simple it was once they were shown. That said there are aspects only experience can teach you.

Where abouts in Kent are you? if i know i will try and find an appropriate local site and can give you some exercises to start you off. I'm sure you will get plenty of tips and advice from others too.
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy