Author Topic: Youth Hostels - the demise  (Read 3088 times)

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Re: Youth Hostels - the demise
« Reply #15 on: 19:01:46, 27/09/17 »
The YHA is at something of a crux. Many "iconic" properties are old and falling apart, and need huge sums to renovate them that YHA don't have.

On the other hand, customers don't want dorm accommodation as much as before - they prefer family rooms, with en suite if possible. That's doable - what is less doable is modifying old properties with large rooms into new interiors with smaller rooms and more modern facilities.

Coupled with that, they have apparently had money problems and an awful booking system that meant no one point - booking direct with the hostel, using central booking or booking online - had any idea if the hostel has vacancies or not. Fortunately, this seems to be on the way to being fixed.

YHA hasn't been for "youths" for decades - but they do have users and supporters, and are probably now in better shape than they have been for a decade. In conjunction with Independent hostels, there is still a half-decent network - which is good for walkers of all ages!  O0    

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:44:55, 28/09/17 »
The main reason for posting on here was so people could add their knowledge to the project.

Interesting, but I can't see where you can add to the project. Not that I have any photo's but I have the stamps.

1980 - 83. in no particular order
Welsh Bicknor
Brandon
Winchester
Overton
Boggle Hole
Westerdale Hall
Osmotherley
Helmsley
Whitby
Saltburn by the Sea
Norwich
Thoresby College Kings Lynn
Monmouth
House Micheldean
Vondelpark Amsterdam
Houghton Mill
Chester
Stratford on Avon
Kings Dolgellau
Dinas Mawddy
Cynwyd
Plas Rhiwaedog Bala
Grantham
Memorial Hostel Llanberis
Tyndwr Hall Llangollen

I went on two YHA walking holidays, hostel to hostel. They were ideal if you were single and didn't want to walk alone. I stayed in a couple when I was a lorry driver. I remember one where I had to park on a layby on the road and walk up a long dark lane without a torch. I was glad to see the lights of the hostel. It was the time before sleeper cabs.

Ilona

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:59:08, 28/09/17 »
My children (5 and 9) love youth hostels. Taking them is only really possible because of the family rooms.
Whilst some hostel are closing, others are opening (or reopening). For instance, this summer we stayed at the Lizard in a former hotel that is now a YHA.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:54:30, 28/09/17 »

Interesting, but I can't see where you can add to the project. Not that I have any photo's but I have the stamps.

1980 - 83. in no particular order
Welsh Bicknor
Brandon
Winchester
Overton
Boggle Hole
Westerdale Hall
Osmotherley
Helmsley
Whitby
Saltburn by the Sea
Norwich
Thoresby College Kings Lynn
Monmouth
House Micheldean
Vondelpark Amsterdam
Houghton Mill
Chester
Stratford on Avon
Kings Dolgellau
Dinas Mawddy
Cynwyd
Plas Rhiwaedog Bala
Grantham
Tyndwr Hall Llangollen

I went on two YHA walking holidays, hostel to hostel. They were ideal if you were single and didn't want to walk alone. I stayed in a couple when I was a lorry driver. I remember one where I had to park on a layby on the road and walk up a long dark lane without a torch. I was glad to see the lights of the hostel. It was the time before sleeper cabs.

Ilona
I kept my card from 1980 too.  It has two stamps that I'm quite proud of amongst many others.

Lands End & John O Groats.

I cheated though, used a push bike.  ;)

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:38:06, 29/09/17 »
Money spent on top staff income and not on properties. Property sold to fund their income.
Same story with most larger charities these days.. very sad
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:44:12, 29/09/17 »
Money spent on top staff income and not on properties. Property sold to fund their income.

Whilst there is undoubted truth in this, I don't think that its the sole reason. In most cases, it requires more than a lick of paint and some new bedding to modernise a property - reconfiguring the internal spaces to deliver what people now want takes a lot of money, especially in old buildings.

So the decision was taken to sell off some properties to stem the losses and allow the remaining properties to be invested in and modernised - which so far seems to be working.

Theo Frum

« Reply #21 on: 22:57:33, 29/09/17 »
Interesting, but the list is incomplete.

There are over 90 of the hostels I've done which are now closed, and there are less than 70 of them on that list. They're also listing Bridges and Edmundbyers as closed when they're not.
« Last Edit: 23:13:41, 29/09/17 by Theo Frum »

Theo Frum

« Reply #22 on: 23:06:18, 29/09/17 »

Welsh Bicknor
Boggle Hole
Osmotherley
Whitby
Stratford on Avon
Kings Dolgellau

These are still open. (If you count the new hostel that replaced the old stables at Whitby)
« Last Edit: 23:24:17, 29/09/17 by Theo Frum »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy