Author Topic: Exciting Walks in the Peak District  (Read 2725 times)

Nell

Exciting Walks in the Peak District
« on: 18:56:56, 15/07/07 »
Hi,

We are looking for walks with a 'touch of adventure' to keep my partners two boys (aged 13 and 11) amused this summer. We took them out yesterday, to part of the Monsal Trail, and they thoroughly enjoyed scrabbling alongside the river, across steppingstones and bridges, and up the narrow paths on the hills, however, they didnt enjoy the fields, or straight parts. Can anybody advise me of similar walks, which involve a hint of adventure? Around the Peak District or Midlands way. Any length. Many Thanks.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: Exciting Walks in the Peak District
« Reply #1 on: 20:38:40, 16/07/07 »
Well in part it depends on how adventurous you and they are feeling I suppose!

Stanford moor (report in this very section) may keep them entertained mainly cos of the amount of stuff to see, climb on.

If you can supervise them well and steer clear of the moor itself Kinder Scout would be tiring and I doubt they've seen anything like it. Be careful on the moor/plateau itself and with the rocks and ledges and you should have a good day out. People do get lost and injured (Mountain rescue was busy at the weekend just gone) but with good weather and some care and attention you should have a good day out. I'll be posting a report soon so you can assess yourself. Kinder is the only one I'd be wary of, but you know the kids better than me. Plus they can say they've gone up a mountain!
!
Stanage edge near Hathersage would be ok, but may get a bit boring for them. Again theres a report or two on this site.

Dovedale should have quite a few diversions. Quite a few side paths and, ofcourse theres accessible water - need I say more. You can also 'do' Dovedale fairly quickly if you need to when the kids start 'are we nearly there yet'. River level gets a bit high at times, so bare that in mind considering the weather lately.

Lathkill might be a bit too tame as whilst there is a river, there are no side paths to speak of. It's also 17k all round which might be pushing it a bit - it's easy going but fields and roads feature quite a bit.. But if you do something shorter (say from Monyash) and take in Arbor Low (a henge) could be an interesting day.

Hope this helps.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: Exciting Walks in the Peak District
« Reply #2 on: 22:21:23, 16/07/07 »
Part one of my Kinder walk posted, but there are other here to look at as well.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy