Author Topic: Lyke Wake Walk  (Read 12042 times)

joseph

Lyke Wake Walk
« on: 16:41:11, 08/07/06 »
New to long distance walking but read this forum most days to hear other walkers comments.
Has anyone done the Lyke Wake Walk? Would it be ok for a novice walker like me?  Heard about it today and it sounds great.  Apparently it is meant to be walked during the night starting at midnight - as the monks did it!!! Spooky.

Wendy

Re: Lyke Wake Walk
« Reply #1 on: 13:59:08, 10/07/06 »
I've not heard of this walk..... but it sounds interesting!! So come on share everything you know about it!! Where is it, how long, and why it should be done!!
;-)  HAPPY HIKING  ;-)

Wendy

« Reply #2 on: 14:03:30, 10/07/06 »
  ;D Oh hang on... yes I have!  Its the north york moors one, right? Ravenscar to Osmotherly....Yes??? 
Hey that would be a bit spooky walking them there moors at night..... But I reckon I'd be up for it!
;-)  HAPPY HIKING  ;-)

joseph

« Reply #3 on: 23:32:26, 10/07/06 »
Not researched the exact walk - where it goes from too etc. but the history behind it is that the monks used to carry bodies across this walk for burial and it was always done overnight leaving the monastery at midnight !!!
Im probably more interested in doing the walk for the 'spooky factor' than the walk itself
Perhaps Id best just join a ghost hunt - if only for the scary aspect !!!

Wendy

« Reply #4 on: 21:15:43, 13/07/06 »
No I think your wrong there..... you should do the walk for the walk AND the spooky factor! Joking aside if you do plan to do the walk I would definitely be interested in joining you.
;-)  HAPPY HIKING  ;-)

titaniumdude

« Reply #5 on: 23:38:23, 11/08/06 »
It seems that there is a small local culture of some interest surrounding this walk.  Bit strange though.

http://www.lykewake.org/index.php
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

unixnut

« Reply #6 on: 21:27:01, 20/05/07 »
I did this one 23 years ago and it's 42 miles in less than 24 hours. We were a group of five and managed it in 15 hours. I was much fitter then but still remember the last section as very  hard. The heather had burnt off a month or so ago and the stumps caught your feet almost continuously, causing you to trip.
We wrote in with our achievement then and purchased the cloth coffin badge to go on our packs. I'm aware of some people doing there-and-back (84 miles) in 24 hours - they qualify for the double coffin which has both objects side by side and slightly overlapping. Those guys have all my respect.

titaniumdude

« Reply #7 on: 00:51:34, 22/05/07 »
84 miles in a day sounds pretty hardcore to me.  These are the sort of dudes who run the whw race or the y3p just for fun.  Quite like the idea of trying for a single coffin though.  Oddly enough Mrs TD picked up a copy of Country Walking mag in the newsagents for the first time in ages and it had a mildly interesting article on this very walk.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Santfekuss

« Reply #8 on: 18:06:54, 17/06/07 »
First post here   8)  I'm doing this walk in October as a sponsered walk. Anyone else interested here's the link:
http://www.ldwa.org.uk/news/news_story.php?menu=Y&news_id=143 [nofollow]  £15 to register and its in aid of the Macmillan nurses , but there's limited places so be quick  ::)

new shoes

« Reply #9 on: 11:17:01, 18/09/07 »
Hi there - I'm a new walker - and planning to do the LWW for the McMillan Nurses Charity too. I'm looking forward to the challenge, but a bit apprehensive too! I'm doing a fair bit of walking, trying to up my mileage each time in preparation.
Yesterday, did a great walk around the Hole of Horcum - weather starting to get cool though now - do you have any advice on clothing for the big event - and how big a rucksack will I need? I'd be glad of any advice....(PS new shoes not so new any more!!!)

unixnut

« Reply #10 on: 11:36:20, 18/09/07 »
My own personal advice for the LWW is to ensure you have support. There's a road that crosses the walk at about the halfway point so whoever drops you at Osmotherly should be talked into providing a food/rest stop for you at the road as well as collecting you at Ravenscar.
For packs take the minimum weight you can get away with. Rain/wind protection depending on the day, a drink system, navigation kit (map/compass/gps whatever), compeed ... the usual. If you're being supported halfway then you won't need much more than that. I assume if this is a charity walk there'll be some support ?
And for everyone that's done it in one go without support ..... newshoes said he's new to distance walking. The LWW is tough to learn on.

new shoes

« Reply #11 on: 13:03:59, 09/10/07 »
I DID IT!!!!  ;D(just last Saturday!)
Wow - it was tough though! Felt pretty exhausted but exhilarated when I finally touched the Lyke Wake Walk stone at Ravenscar some 18 hours later, having begun at Osmotherley at 11.00pm.
The Macmillan support team were fabulous - it was so well organised - and they really looked after all 160 walkers. I found myself in the back section bringing up the rear, but that wasn't so bad with some hunky young guys acting as guides, giving support and encouragement to keep on walking!
Would I do it again - well, they say "Never say never" - - - but who knows - if I could guarantee a repeat of the perfect weather we had, I might .....!

unixnut

« Reply #12 on: 14:43:24, 09/10/07 »
Congratulations & very well done.
From one Lyke Waker to another - I know what you went through (minus the hunky young guys)

Santfekuss

« Reply #13 on: 16:11:51, 09/10/07 »
I DID IT!!!!  ;D(just last Saturday!)
Wow - it was tough though! Felt pretty exhausted but exhilarated when I finally touched the Lyke Wake Walk stone at Ravenscar some 18 hours later, having begun at Osmotherley at 11.00pm.
The Macmillan support team were fabulous - it was so well organised - and they really looked after all 160 walkers. I found myself in the back section bringing up the rear, but that wasn't so bad with some hunky young guys acting as guides, giving support and encouragement to keep on walking!
Would I do it again - well, they say "Never say never" - - - but who knows - if I could guarantee a repeat of the perfect weather we had, I might .....!

We also done it, and regards the Macmillan support, was not that impressed. Food was awful,except the soup from the cafe, I only ate the beans and hot dog sausages because they were warm, and the stew went in the bin.We're glad we took our own snacks etc just to give us the energy needed to complete it. Brian done a good job, as did the guide at the back who piggybacked the girl up the ravine just befoe the last stop.
But, we enjoyed it also. We also said never again but......... back next year maybe  :P

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:13:04, 09/10/07 »
Hi folks,

Congratulations on your walks (nutters, the lot of you  ;)).

Was just wondering.  I've read in several places that the attention the walk attracts has started to cause damage to the countryside, mainly from overuse.  As you know, it's become a major challenge for charity walkers.  Did you see any signs of this?

Also, do you still get your coffin badges?  8)

Cheers 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy