Author Topic: 3 Yorkshire peaks.  (Read 11920 times)

Kmo86

Re: 3 Yorkshire peaks.
« Reply #15 on: 15:26:30, 30/05/18 »
Thanks for replies. Should be starting training towards it in July. Staff at the group will be finding out who wants to join in and planning some training walks. The man today seems more confident in me managing it probably cos he knows I’ll manage the shorter walk then more chance doing 3 peaks.

As a surprise for him at end I’m planning to get people to sponsor me to do 3 peaks and raise money for the brain injury charity he set up and going to tell him at end.

Kmo86

« Reply #16 on: 15:20:35, 26/06/18 »
Should be doing the 10 mile walk soon. Man organising it is still doubting I’ll manage the 3 peaks where ch is just making me want to do them even more. I suggested today doing a walk which would test how far I could manage but he said definite no to that probably cos he will want to keep an eye on everyone. 10 mile walk I know I need to manage easily and I think I will. Actually slightly annoying that he’s very doubtful I’ll manage it I know I will probably struggle towards end but I’m determined I will manage.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:02:23, 26/06/18 »

Did you ask him why he said no to today's walk?  Did he maybe have other commitments? 

I know other people have mentioned about bad weather making the walk difficult but good weather can make it difficult too.  The man organising it could have said no to a walk today simply because it is very hot. 

I struggled yesterday doing a 7 mile easy/gentle walk due to the heat.  I think I would have become seriously dehydrated and ill had I been doing the same distance in a more remote or mountainous area, despite carrying plenty of water and food.

Anyway, good luck with your challenge and I hope you do manage to get some practice walks in soon  O0

Kmo86

« Reply #18 on: 19:30:23, 26/06/18 »
It wasn’t today the walk he said no to. I suggested when we do the walk we could maybe have people carry on longer if they feel up to it. That’s what he said no to and it was like end of conversation. I’m guessing he said no cos he wants to keep an eye on everyone. Think he’s thinking more do walks in stages to lead up to 3 peaks but he doesn’t get much spare time so I’m worried he mite think that’s it after 1 walk. I’m going to talk to him again tomorrow about this and add a bit about encouraging everyone to set themselves targets and helping them achieve them just a little idea that should give me chance to see what his plans are for 3 peak without doing his head in.

Kmo86

« Reply #19 on: 18:02:38, 27/06/18 »
The date is now set for the 10 mile walk. Was going to be next month and it happens my birthday falls on a Tuesday this year which is best day for them to do the walk. So slightly later than I’d have liked but the day that will mean most to me it will be the 24th July. After that we will discus further walks. Good thanks no quite a few people are wanting to join in so should be good day.

Kmo86

« Reply #20 on: 08:29:32, 04/07/18 »
3 peaks seems further away now the man planning walks leading up to it has decided first walk going to be 6 mile rather than 10. Reason being cos a woman he worked with who was going to do the walk with us has now left leaving him with most of work to keep charity running. Disappointing but do have sympathy for him as he’s good mates with her and trying to keep everyone happy. I think he’s just being his usual cautious self wanting to make sure everyone is ok. He says we will still work up to more and up to now he has done everything he’s said so fingers crossed.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:53:29, 05/07/18 »
Walked up Pen y Ghent today.  Boy it was hot!  We only did 6 1/2 miles, but the heat drains you and we went through all the water we thought we'd need and a bottle we added just in case.  10 miles in this heat is hard work.

All I can suggest is you take it easy and not be in such a rush.  All good things come in time.

Kmo86

« Reply #22 on: 12:02:54, 07/07/18 »
I think main reason I’m keen to rush is cos I do like challenges and I’m one to jump straight in and try things. Also knowing how busy man who runs group is normally I’m wondering if he will have time to keep doing walks as well as starting a running club which I’ll be in. At minute he is putting more time in the group so could have time how long that will last I’ve no idea.

I have said if this goes to plan and we do keep doing walks to build up to 3 peaks chances are once we have done them I’ll want to carry on the walks maybe train for something else.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:01:55, 07/07/18 »
I think main reason I’m keen to rush is cos I do like challenges and I’m one to jump straight in and try things.

That's great. Lets hope the rest of the group are like that!  But if they're not then don’t forget that the chap who is organising it has to consider the safety and welfare, needs and abilities of the group as a whole and not just the impatience of one individual  O0

Kmo86

« Reply #24 on: 16:07:23, 07/07/18 »
Yea I know and to be fair to him he doesn’t really know what everyone in group can manage so he does need to see how everyone manages. I do see his side of it having to keep everyone safe even if it does drive me mad we do get on well and have a laugh rather than let it make problems.

wizz

« Reply #25 on: 19:32:35, 07/07/18 »
I have walked it once and run the Three Peaks race. The race  can have varied weather conditions, a poor chap died after going the wrong way off Ingleborough due to fog and snow I believe. When I did it they had put marker tape on the top of Ingleborough but the day was very hot, a bit like today, 70 retired so I was told, runners were being attended to by medics. I wasn't affected to much suffice say that I was very agitated at the finish, didn't know whether to sit or stand, eat something sweet or savoury, it took me about half an hour to settle down.

Kmo86

« Reply #26 on: 14:36:26, 10/07/18 »
The man organising the 5-6 mile hill walk has said he thinks I and others will struggle towards the end of it. He’s even said he mite struggle which considering he runs marathons regularly and has walked the 3 Yorkshire peaks twice and Scafell pike along with Mount Kilimanjaro I find it hard to believe. Well it’s becoming clearer that the only way we will agree is seeing how I get on with 6 mile then build it up. Good thing is there are a few of us going to start a running club as well so there should be more than just me ready to do longer walks.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:10:58, 10/07/18 »
My advice would be to start off steady - walk within yourself, so that you can demonstrate that you are strong enough to cope easily with the shorter walk.  Once the organiser can see that you have the capability to go for longer distances he may be more amenable to letting you do longer challenges.  Good luck with your challenge - and let us know how you get on!

Paul

Kmo86

« Reply #28 on: 19:10:45, 10/07/18 »
I have always been used to walking a lot so really don’t see it as a challenge. I know going up hills and longer distance will be more challenging. I guess all we can do is see how I do get on with 5-6 miles uphills as we both have completely different ideas how I will manage.

Kmo86

« Reply #29 on: 11:11:06, 23/07/18 »
Tomorrow is the day we go on the 5-6 mile hill walk then for meal for my birthday. Had time to think about this and still intend to manage 3 Yorkshire peaks eventually still expect tomorrow’s walk will be quite easy for me and most or everyone else. Ifanything I’m more determined to manage this and more, but a little change in my attitude may help before I was like I will manage and I’ll make it clear I’ve managed easily. Now I’m thinking the man organising the walk is wanting to know everyone will be ok and at minute it could be that for longer walks he needs to do on his own (no other staff with him) tomorrow there will be woman who works with him there but she isn’t used to long walks. So I’m thinking I will keep an eye on everyone and show I can be responsible as well so the man will feel more comfortable if he does need to do some walks with us alone. In past he has always been able to tell if I’ve been struggling and I’ve never denied it so he will likely be able to tell tomorrow. I will be surprised if I do struggle.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy