Author Topic: Gaiters that cover the whole boot?  (Read 2687 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Gaiters that cover the whole boot?
« on: 20:57:44, 04/12/18 »
I wear hiking boots and from my experience they have often leaked. I wear Rab gaiters, but there are times when the water still gets in and my feet become soggy! Is there any product which slips over the boot, especially the toe area to increase the chances of keeping ones feet dry? Then once my Rabs are on over the top I would hope that my feet would have a better chance of staying dry? I've always found that when my boots have leaked it always appears that the bottom of the lace area is for me the most likely culprit? I may be wrong of course?

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: Gaiters that cover the whole boot?
« Reply #1 on: 21:05:15, 04/12/18 »
Berghaus Yeti gaiters, but you need to have the right boots for them to fit to without slipping off.
Not all those who wander are lost

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:17:43, 04/12/18 »
I've always found that when my boots have leaked it always appears that the bottom of the lace area is for me the most likely culprit? I may be wrong of course?
If your boots are any good the tongue should be sewn in so there should be no leak in the lace area.  If your gaiters are fitted right they should be hooked on the lowest lace so there should be limited exposure of this area anyway,  I have Rab Event gaiters and have never had a leak, even when in quite deep muck or the odd accidental plunge into water - provided  you get your foot out really quick.  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:29:50, 04/12/18 »
Berghaus Yeti gaiters, but you need to have the right boots for them to fit to without slipping off.

Or use double sided carpet tape.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:54:01, 04/12/18 »
If your gaiters are fitted right they should be hooked on the lowest lace so there should be limited exposure of this area anyway

I've always hooked mine onto the second lowest, have I been doing it wrong all these years  :-\
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:02:29, 04/12/18 »

I've always hooked mine onto the second lowest, have I been doing it wrong all these years  :-\
I don't think it's a rule -  ::)   depends if you have a thing for mucky laces or big boots

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/expert-advice/walking-gaiters-guide
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:04:55, 04/12/18 »
Big boots I guess  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:14:15, 04/12/18 »

Or use double sided carpet tape.

Tried that, but I found that it didn't hold at the toes.
Not all those who wander are lost

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 00:07:27, 05/12/18 »
I find it hard to get gaiters large enough to cover my long calves and size 13 boots.

These work great for me, fit the bottom row of my laces and generally keep the water out, even when swiftly fording streams. O0

https://www.trespass.com/nanuk-performance-gaiters?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4-ThubGH3wIVzL3tCh3n3ggNEAQYAiABEgJgAvD_BwE#color=Black&size=L/XL

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:03:32, 05/12/18 »
Tried that, but I found that it didn't hold at the toes.

That's surprising it is usually very sticky, if that doesn't work I suspect nothing will. Maybe permanently glueing them on but that may affect the leather.

Maggot

« Reply #10 on: 15:25:49, 05/12/18 »
You have more boot woes than anyone I have ever met. 

Now you are going to think I am taking the proverbial, but I am being utterly serious here.  If you really want nice warm, dry feet, think about spending some serious money on some seriously good wellies.  I only have moderately expensive ones, but they are perfectly comfortable for 10+ miles with a bag on when I am out with the Beagle. 

Get some with a nice footbed and all your damp feet woes will be gone  O0   No cheapskate £10 Dunlop ones though, you are looking at Aigle or Le Chameau and are going to have to put out a decent wedge I am afraid ;)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:21:02, 05/12/18 »
The design may have changed now, but I remember years ago (1990s) an outdoor shop assistant demonstrating how to fit those. It took him about 10 minutes to get one of them on and I really thought he was about to burst a blood vessel. With a deep red face and panting like hell, he was straining with all his might to get the edge of the gaiter over the end of the boot and into the recess - and that was with the boot on his lap, not on his foot. They should work well once they are on!.

We very rarely wear them, but for day walks years ago the best gaiters we tried were Paramo (too bulky and heavy for backpacking). We now use the lighter TrekMates. Neither would be of much help with water ingress through the footwear.

If you really want nice warm, dry feet, think about spending some serious money on some seriously good wellies.
That's an interesting idea, at least for short walks in the winter months. Like most people I imagine, I automatically think of the cheap black or green rubber jobs, I'll investigate those.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:32:43, 05/12/18 »
I  met a nice gent on Hartland Point who was working his way to Lands End to complete his round the coast of Britain walk which he had been doing in stages.  He was wearing wellies at the time which seemed an odd choice for the conditions.  He was going ok though.  Also met a young lady near the summit of Bow Fell wearing pink wellies in July.  She seemed to be going ok too, much to my surprise.  Could be the answer GW.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:47:39, 05/12/18 »
Clearly Maggot you are a joker.
You didn't mention your welly rash.  :D Those who grew up in wellies have a horror of that particular blight.
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:51:09, 05/12/18 »
Ok I have worked out a solution.

Buy a pair of over sized wellies.  Cut the soles off them.  But them on, then put your normal boots on under them.  Job done

Oh and you should end up wth calves like schwarzenegger. ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy