Author Topic: Pennine Way 19 May to 2 June  (Read 24962 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way 19 May to 2 June
« Reply #15 on: 16:40:35, 19/10/16 »
Apparently there is a new YH opening up near Hadrians Wall late  summer 2017.

I missed this bit earlier, the new YHA (The Sill) has been built where Once Brewed YHA used to be  O0  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Murphy

« Reply #16 on: 18:09:51, 19/10/16 »
Backpack it, then no issues with booking!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:25:28, 19/10/16 »
Yeah, but at 65 I'm not so keen on backpacking as I was  ;)

Will wild camp for a few days though as I'm aiming for 15 days again  O0
Where there's a will ...

Murphy

« Reply #18 on: 18:30:51, 19/10/16 »
Understand that - can't beat it though......done it 6 times and planning a triple back, there and back again!  Its addictive - done Pennine Journey a couple of times but somehow doesn't really compare...even though it takes in some of PW.  However, it might just be that I'm mad!

Stube

« Reply #19 on: 10:40:05, 20/10/16 »
but as I'm planning to get to Hebden in two days I'll be wild camping around Wessenden Head reservoir.

That's quite a yomp you've planned - only possible given the flags and (much) drier route than the original!

There's an old quarry at Wessenden Head at SE077076 which provides some shelter and remains dry even in wet weather - hard though. You'll have to carry water in from the streams you'll cross getting there. It's a pity the old Skye Inn has been pulled down.

Alternatively, I'd suggest that you cross the Wessenden Dam wall to pick the Marsden Heritage Trail  and camp some where along it. It's flat and avoids the steep drop down into the Wessenden Brook valley and climb up the other side. There a nice waterfall too O0 Only problem is that one of the abutments has crumbled so it is now only passable on foot.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:59:55, 20/10/16 »
Cheers I'll look at those suggestions.  I was also looking at stopping at Wrigley's cabin.

Alternatively, I'd suggest that you cross the Wessenden Dam wall to pick the Marsden Heritage Trail  and camp some where along it. It's flat and avoids the steep drop down into the Wessenden Brook valley and climb up the other side. There a nice waterfall too O0 Only problem is that one of the abutments has crumbled so it is now only passable on foot.

That's ok, I intend to be on foot  ;)

As for the yomp, it's only around 20 miles each day which is no longer than some of the later days so it should be fine  O0
« Last Edit: 12:09:25, 20/10/16 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:16:16, 20/10/16 »
Whilst on the Malham meet-up I was very interested to find out that a couple of the blokes were staying in pods. When I get the chance I'm going to start looking for pod sites, sounds interesting. I only remember seeing such things when I hiked the West Highland Way.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:41:59, 20/10/16 »
There is Mankinholes Youth Hostel if it is available Sussamb. Got booked in there heading south in August. Plan is also two days to finish but it is a little uneven; about 24 to Torside and about 16 to the finish.
Going to have a look at your Haworth plan Bricam; looks a longish way from Malham though. How was the Hawes to Malham section for you last year? That might educate a view as to how far to walk the following day ( though on a 13 day schedule 20 milers are normal...should know a bit better at my age...just that there were some shortish days last time I did it)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:45:43, 20/10/16 »
Yes I considered Mankinholes but HB fits in better with my overall plan  O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:36:47, 28/10/16 »
Think that’s it now, plan for the PW in 2017 is finalised, at least as far as accommodation goes.  Last time I had the help of my wife who was able to pick me up/drop me off for the first five or so days which meant that I was able to stay in just 2 b&bs for those 5 days.  This time she’s at work so I’m on my own, which required a rethink, plus a few of the b&bs I used last time weren’t available (closed or too expensive now) and some I’d decided last time I wouldn’t use again. All this has meant that I’m going to be throwing in some wild camps amongst the b&bs, so here’s the plan, would welcome any thoughts from those who know the area better than me:

Arrive in Edale Thursday, stay at Ollerbrook Barn, which is where I stayed in 2012 and highly recommend it.
Day 1.  Edale to Crowden plus about 4 or so miles for a wild camp, maybe at Wrigley’s Cabin.
Day 2.  Would have liked to stay at Badgers Field Farm, where I stayed last time for 3 nights, but they’re full so a b&b in Hebden.
Day 3.  No accommodation at Cowling so plan is to visit Hare and Hounds at Lothersdale, then wild camp somewhere beyond it.
Day 4.  Would have liked to use Beck Hall like last time, but too expensive for a single room, so using Miresfield Farm instead.  It has mixed reviews but sounds perfect for me.
Day 5.  Going to bypass the drop into Horton, and instead take the route past Hunt Pot, re-joining the route somewhere north of Sell Gill holes, and wild camp near Cave Hill.
Day 6.  Stay at the Board Inn, Hawes.  Last time I used Herriotts, but wasn’t impressed with it, and the Board Inn is cheaper.
Day 7.  Hawes to Keld, staying in the bunk barns there.  Last time I used Tan Hill, but hearing about the changes have decided to try somewhere else this time.
Day 8.  Keld to Middleton, being picked up from there and staying at Fox and Hounds, Cotherstone, who will drop me back the following morning.
Day 9.  Middleton to Dufton.  The YH there if I can get a bunk, but they don’t take bookings until 3 months before unless you want the whole hostel, which I don’t!  Failing that will wild camp.
Day 10.  Dufton to Alston, staying again in Lowbyer Manor, great b&b.
Day 11.  Alston to Greenhead, staying at the Greenhead Hotel hostel.  Used Holmhead Guest House last time but expensive and not worth the money, although I now see they also have a camping barn.
Day 12.  Greenhead to Bellingham.  Last time I stopped at a horrendous b&b, now closed, so am booked into Lyndale Guest House, which has good reviews and which I tried to book last time but they were full.
Day 13.  No contest, Colin and Joyce in Bryness.
Days 14 and 15.  Considered numerous options here.  Last attempt I crossed the Cheviots in horrendous weather, strong winds and persistent heavy rain pretty much directly into my face, and was slightly hypothermic by the time I hit the hut at Hen Hole.  I was therefore keen to allow two days this time, especially having made up a day by doing Edale to HB in two days.  One option was to stay at Bryness for two nights, availing myself of their pick up option at the half way point that they provide, but in the end decided I would simply leave late and overnight at one of the refuge huts, depending on the weather.  This would enable me to get into KY early on the final day, and adjust plans should the weather demand.  Final b&b would be Bluntys Mill, a change from last time as Cross Keys prices have increased substantially.

Where there's a will ...

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:30:28, 28/10/16 »
When I did the Pennine Way I popped into the pub in Lothersdale and they introduced me to a man and his wife who allowed camping on their lawn. They had a toilet/shower room adjacent to their bungalow. It worked well for me. Only about 100yds from the pub.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:37:16, 28/10/16 »
When I did Kirk Yetholme to Byrness this year the weather was dreadful! I stayed in the hut for a while to change my wet socks and to get some warmth back into my bones, I could have easily stayed the night there but unfortunately it was just too early in the day so I just plodded on. One horrible wet, windy and cold day!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:58:38, 28/10/16 »
When I did the Pennine Way I popped into the pub in Lothersdale and they introduced me to a man and his wife who allowed camping on their lawn. They had a toilet/shower room adjacent to their bungalow. It worked well for me. Only about 100yds from the pub.

Ah that sounds good. Don't suppose you have their contact details?
Where there's a will ...

Murphy

« Reply #28 on: 20:11:02, 28/10/16 »
I've stayed there a couple of times.  Its called Dale End - they let you camp on the lawn and even provide toilet and shower in what I think was an outhouse.  The owner makes you a pot of tea also on arrival.....You can just turn up at the Bungalow.

Murphy

« Reply #29 on: 20:14:02, 28/10/16 »
The camping barn at Greenhead is the old byer at Holmstead  - I liked it.  I wasn't a lover of the hostel at Greenhead, its a bit large and has an empty feeling about it......but that's my personal view.  It does have all the facilities though....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy