Author Topic: TR St Mary's Loch  (Read 1943 times)

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
TR St Mary's Loch
« on: 20:20:40, 21/01/17 »
Amazing clear blue skies today above St Mary's Loch, once I'd climbed out of the freezing fog at the loch side. 16.18k, 818.5m, 4 new hills & 1 revisit.

20170121 by agentmancuso, on Flickr

Cairn hopper

Re: TR St Mary's Loch
« Reply #1 on: 16:21:02, 22/01/17 »
I'm not sure I know the area in question however I love some of the names marked on the map.

The Wiss. Moody haas, dead side and shepherdscleuch

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:40:28, 22/01/17 »
I managed to get lost round there once and missed lunch at the Tibbie Shiels.  Which was a pity, as I hadn't taken sandwiches.  Typical moment of inattention, I was following a waymarked path and didn't bother looking at the map.  The trouble was, where 2 paths crossed I followed the wrong waymarks, and landed up going round in circles in a forest. But it's a lovely part of the world.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:44:30, 22/01/17 »
I'm not sure I know the area in question however I love some of the names marked on the map.

There are some weird and wonderful place names round here.   St Mary's Loch is north east of Moffat, the road to Selkirk runs past it.  Easily reached from the A74(M) but most pass by on the way to the Highlands :)
Not all those who wander are lost

Cairn hopper

« Reply #4 on: 18:58:46, 22/01/17 »
I always remember a giggle when my mate said he had climbed the Maidens Paps in the Hawick area.

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:20:34, 24/01/17 »
I always remember a giggle when my mate said he had climbed the Maidens Paps in the Hawick area.

I was up there last April. Very shapely.

Yes, the place names are very peculiar; even more so if you go a bit southwest to Galloway. Unusual linguistic strata.

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:24:33, 24/01/17 »
Knew I had it somewhere; Maiden Paps & Greatmoor Hill, April 2016

20160410 by agentmancuso, on Flickr

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:25:49, 24/01/17 »
I managed to get lost round there once and missed lunch at the Tibbie Shiels.  Which was a pity, as I hadn't taken sandwiches.  Typical moment of inattention, I was following a waymarked path and didn't bother looking at the map.  The trouble was, where 2 paths crossed I followed the wrong waymarks, and landed up going round in circles in a forest. But it's a lovely part of the world.

Probably the Captain's Road, which goes roughly SE from Tibbie Shiels & crosses the SUW a mile or two in.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy