Author Topic: I'm going to use my Bivi across Gran Canaria  (Read 945 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I'm going to use my Bivi across Gran Canaria
« on: 12:36:00, 20/01/19 »
A while ago I bought a Snugpack Strosphere Bivi and have used it now quite a few times. For me, its most useful for shorter wild camping trips, for up to a week, after that I prefer my tent.

Its also taught me that to make my bivi work smoothly, at dusk or when its dark, my groundsheet, mattress, sleeping clothes and my sleeping quilt need to be at the top of my rucksack, easy to get at and easy to organise.

When I walk across Gran Canaria at the beginning of February (I'll be there 7 nights) I will be taking my bivi (plus my Alpkit tarp) and will attempt wild camping only. I've decided that my main route will be from Agaete to Mospalomas, directly across the island,  but I have still to plot a route from the airport to Agaete. When I finish at Mospalomas I'll then make my way back to the airport again to fly home. Or I could hike it the other way around, I'll decide for sure when I land.

If anyone has already hiked Gran Canaria I would be pleased to know if you think I am choosing my route wisely, or can you suggest something better? Is anybody there at the same time? If so, please contact me to meet up via the Zello app, seach for my channel 'UK Backpacking' hail me and if we are able to meet I'll buy you a beer or two!

One F

Re: I'm going to use my Bivi across Gran Canaria
« Reply #1 on: 13:21:55, 20/01/19 »
Have you looked at the route for the Transgrancanaria 125km race route? Starts in Las Palmas, heads south west and then south to finish in Maspalomas. It may be  an alternative to starting at Agaete? Both Las Palmas and Maspalomas are an easy bus ride from the airport.

The Transgrancanaria races are at the end of February (starting on 21st) and feature six events from a full round the island trek down to a 17km family fun run. I will be there from the 21st for 7 nights as had intended plodding along the Maraton (42km) course but dodgy knees and lack of serious training have probably put paid to that outing - just have to relax in the sun instead  8)

I was there 2 years ago and it was blooming cold (and wet) up in the mountains to the north. Hot dry and sunny further south.

Enjoy the trip and look forward to reading your TR  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:37:48, 21/01/19 »
Thanks for the suggestion, I've looked into it and some of the route might be very helpful to me. One matter did surprise me, I looked at the official site, and others and could not find a map to show which route is taken. A couple of descriptions, the villages it passes through which I have taken note of, but I could not find a route map!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:59:17, 21/01/19 »
There is a trail on Wikiloc - Camino de Santiago de Las Palmas (Maspalomas - Galdar)
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-de-santiago-de-las-palmas-maspalomas-galdar-3203715

Edit
P.S.  I have just followed the route on GoogleEarth - looks positively sporty, hope you like heights.  Looks very dry too without many resupply points.
« Last Edit: 16:57:46, 21/01/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

One F

« Reply #4 on: 17:19:13, 21/01/19 »

Hopefully the following link will show it

https://tracedetrail.fr/en/trace/trace/44192

Just loads as a trail on a blank screen at first - hit the 'show/hide layer switcher' button (directly under 'search' button) and then pick 'Open street map + relief' from the window on the right.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:07:45, 21/01/19 »
Thank you very much, very useful!

One F

« Reply #6 on: 18:39:23, 21/01/19 »
Couple of places on the route I remember - the picturesque town of Teror, decent cafes/bars to sit outside especially in the square opposite the Basilica. Also Tejeda a bit further along - cold, damp and dismal day there although I'm told the sun does shine  :) . Watched some of the Transgrancanaria runners passing through, while I sat in one of the bars eating tapas and drinking coffee.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy