Author Topic: Hadrians Wall Trail  (Read 595 times)

Celthedd

Hadrians Wall Trail
« on: 04:18:06, 03/10/19 »
I'm planning a short trail along this  cutting out the two ends due to uninspiring youtube blogs.

I'm thinking of Brampton to Wylam railway stations, would be grateful for any suggestions in favour or against this option.

Thanks in advance.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Hadrians Wall Trail
« Reply #1 on: 11:56:57, 03/10/19 »
I walked from Carlyle to near Housesteads in April (I then turned north on the Pennine Way) and I remember passing by Brampton. I've just had a look at the free OS map on Bing Maps and the walk from the station to the wall looks to me to be straightforward enough. Once on the wall, of course, I found it easy to camp, bunk, etc. I came off the wall once via a direct footpath to a campsite near the Twice Brewed pub and stayed the night in campsite bunkhouse which was very nice, I had a 4 bed room to myself. I then ate at the Twice Brewed pub which was pretty good as well.

I then rejoined the wall walk the following morning, not far away at all. I've never walked beyond Housesteads but I assume its straightforward and it doesn't look difficult to get to Wylam station when you leave the wall.

Unless those with experience of the route from Housesteads to Wylam know differently I'm sure that for walking demand and being able to see the best bits, hiking from Bramton to Wylam is the best section.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:30:38, 03/10/19 »
I'm planning a short trail along this  cutting out the two ends due to uninspiring youtube blogs.

I'm thinking of Brampton to Wylam railway stations, would be grateful for any suggestions in favour or against this option.

Thanks in advance.

100% a good idea, I've walked it plenty of times and the ends are uninspiring.  Fair enough I understand some people have to walk out of Newcastle on foot, but if you have the option then Brampton to Wylam is a good choice.  Joining the wall at Vindobala and then heading west gives you the almost full experience and a fairly leisurely day 1 to get your legs up to speed.  One thing I would say is give yourself some time at the forts and museums - as an actual walk, I've done far better (even if I rather like the central section), but when you factor in the pubs, little coffee shops and museums and forts along the way you would be mad not to explore that aspect. 
« Last Edit: 17:58:57, 03/10/19 by forgotmyoldpassword »

eddycreative

« Reply #3 on: 14:38:13, 03/10/19 »
Nice!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:56:15, 03/10/19 »
when you factor in the pubs, little coffee shops and museums and forts along the way you would be mad not to explore that aspect along the way.
So, so true of this particular walk. I would even say you may have cherry picked the best bits of wall, and I understand why, but the ends are also packed with truly interesting aspects and views.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy