Author Topic: Hot weather tips?  (Read 1429 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Hot weather tips?
« on: 18:12:38, 28/06/19 »
Did quick search to see if we have had a general thread for making walking in hot weather more comfortable. Could find a few specific ones (e.g. best socks or jacket for hot conditions) ..but couldn’t find one for general tips.

Anyway. Thinking of going out tomorrow though forecast is way too hot for my liking.

I’m starting out very early (will start walk just after 7), aim to do just 3 to 4 hours, will take more water than usual, will be wearing long sleeve shirt, and will be whacking on plenty of SPF 50 cream on few parts of skin not clothed...and will do a route that I could bail out of at about half way point.

Any general tips to make hot weather walking more enjoyable? Any “must do” points?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Hot weather tips?
« Reply #1 on: 18:17:23, 28/06/19 »

Choose a route through woods for the shade, along a ridge for the breeze, no long slogs uphill.
Wear a floppy hat.
Take lots of water, and drink lots of water.
Start early (which you are doing), and take your time.
Make use of any 'watering holes' that you encounter  ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:23:02, 28/06/19 »
I was out in it today. My tactics are long sleeved lightweight trekking shirt and lightweight trousers. I also wear a broad brimmed hat.  That way everything is in the shade so I don’t need sunblock so I can perspire freely (horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glisten).  I take extra water but rather than fill my container in the morning, I fill it the night before and but it in the fridge.  That way it is cool against my back and cool to drink. I also put electrolyte tablets in my water (Zero or ProPlus) they make it taste nice and replace lost salts.
As Richard says, go early, go high or go shady.
Solvitur Ambulando

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:24:54, 28/06/19 »
Choose a route through woods for the shade, along a ridge for the breeze, no long slogs uphill.
Wear a floppy hat.
Take lots of water, and drink lots of water.
Start early (which you are doing), and take your time.
Make use of any 'watering holes' that you encounter  ;)

Lol. Laughing at myself because I’d given no thought at all to best/ worst routes.

I’m “set on” walking from Dore to Hathersage ...and while my immediate reaction is that I can’t do much about increasing shade in first half of walk, second half of walk I can easily change to walk through a forested area, as opposed to open moorland route I was going to use.

Thanks

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:31:16, 28/06/19 »
I was out in it today. My tactics are long sleeved lightweight trekking shirt and lightweight trousers. I also wear a broad brimmed hat.  That way everything is in the shade so I don’t need sunblock so I can perspire freely (horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glisten).  I take extra water but rather than fill my container in the morning, I fill it the night before and but it in the fridge.  That way it is cool against my back and cool to drink. I also put electrolyte tablets in my water (Zero or ProPlus) they make it taste nice and replace lost salts.
As Richard says, go early, go high or go shady.

Water bottles now in fridge...certainly something I wouldn’t have thought about.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:01:56, 28/06/19 »
Neck-Flap (think of the Foreign Legion)

Either a hankerchief tucked under you hat, or a 'proper' legionnaires cap.

I bought a wide brimmed hat complete with a very fine mesh 'neck-flap' (a couple of pounds on ebay). The mesh is fine enough to keep the Sun off but allows for the heat to escape and a little bit of draught.

Only weighs 81 grams - very light weight.

Edit to add - looks like they have gone up in price now £3.70

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camping-Fishing-Hat-Sun-Protection-Neck-Face-Flap-Cap-Wide-Brim-with-Shawl/302784426913?hash=item467f5bb3a1:m:mdRemjRtrKhEGOIXVrP3Q3w
« Last Edit: 19:09:33, 28/06/19 by alan de enfield »

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:11:35, 28/06/19 »
Neck-Flap (think of the Foreign Legion)

Either a hankerchief tucked under you hat, or a 'proper' legionnaires cap.

I bought a wide brimmed hat complete with a very fine mesh 'neck-flap' (a couple of pounds on ebay). The mesh is fine enough to keep the Sun off but allows for the heat to escape and a little bit of draught.

Only weighs 81 grams - very light weight.

Another laugh out loud for me.

Until I saw Ninthace’s earlier post (which mentioned broad brimmed hat), I was going to use a lightweight summer beanie.

That got me thinking that I must have something more suitable somewhere, so had a rummage in place I keep old kit..and about 10 minutes ago found a Paramo summer cap, that I suspect may have been styled on French foreign legion headgear you mention.

Now on top of rucksack, waiting to adorn my bonce tomorrow morn.

taxino8

« Reply #7 on: 19:59:29, 28/06/19 »
As well as water in the fridge I freeze a small one of water so that by the time it’s thawed it’s still cold, probably won’t need to do that on a short walk but it’s something I do when staying out overnight.
I also do it with milk as I just can’t do without cold milk on my breakfast cereal and if I’m taking white wine in wine carriers I do it to that as well, it’s usually just right to drink by the time I get setup.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:11:13, 28/06/19 »

Another laugh out loud for me.

Until I saw Ninthace’s earlier post (which mentioned broad brimmed hat), I was going to use a lightweight summer beanie.

That got me thinking that I must have something more suitable somewhere, so had a rummage in place I keep old kit..and about 10 minutes ago found a Paramo summer cap, that I suspect may have been styled on French foreign legion headgear you mention.

Now on top of rucksack, waiting to adorn my bonce tomorrow morn.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:46:06, 28/06/19 »
Had a good walk with MrsG today. We past on our usual Friday section of SWCP  Dartmoor today in the warm conditions. We kept to slight inclines rather than climbs and enjoyed a couple of stops at quaries, out of the wind and plenty of fluids. 

Get out there and enjoy it.  Just take it a bit easier than you would in the cool.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:46:30, 28/06/19 »
When it's hot, or even very warm, I fill 2 bottles with water & pop in the freezer the night before I go walking. I put one in my rucksack out of the sun and it stays part frozen for quite a long time.  It also acts as a cool block to keep my sarnies fresh!

If you're passing a stream or river, it might be nice to give your feet a refreshing dip part way though the walk, so take a small towel or flannel for drying them afterwards.
It feels great when you put your boots/shoes back on O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

strawy

« Reply #11 on: 09:29:30, 29/06/19 »
The frozen drinks bottle has served me well,so refreshing to have a cool drink after a few hours in the sun,also,i always wear a long sleeved shirt,only places i ever need sun cream on is my big nose & nobbly knees  :-[

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:02:39, 29/06/19 »
+1 for cutting back on speed and height gain and making sure that you drink enough. Last year in hot and humid conditions, a walk up Bennachie after work caused me real problems, when normally I manage this without issues. Being larger I am more susceptible to heat and one of my walking companions commented on the constant drip of sweat from the peak of my baseball cap.🥵 I didn’t feel overly hot, but was obviously dehydrated and overheated and it felt like I had hit the wall in a marathon.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:11:28, 29/06/19 »
Ended up starting the plod about 7.30 ish..doing about 10 miles, finishing just before 12.

I’m sure the advice here made a difference...for example, in spite of extra care taken to protect the back of the neck, it still feels a wee bit “sun sore”.

Definitely a more harder walk than it would have been in cooler conditions.

One thing I noticed was that grip of my walking shoes seemed much less tenacious than usual..I certainly felt them slip more often than expected on descents. Because I was more tired than usual, maybe? Or does really warm weather effect grip of shoes for some reason?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:16:11, 29/06/19 »
I wouldn't have thought temperature made much difference to boot grip, its not as if they are racing tyres!  Temperature will affect surfaces though.  The hotter is gets, the drier it gets and the looser the top layers become so you will get more dust on rock surfaces and looser gravel underfoot.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy