Author Topic: Warmish waterproof jacket  (Read 1584 times)

Pitboot

Re: Warmish waterproof jacket
« Reply #15 on: 16:12:02, 11/01/20 »
I have two Paramo waterproof jackets, one of which is my go to winter top and it gets well tested some days. I've never had a problem with them, The winter smock is over ten years old now. As for regular treatment, I think some people are put off by the word "regular". At most I wash the jackets at about six months, and I use the TX Direct wash-in waterproof treatment maybe annually, if needed.

wobblyknees

« Reply #16 on: 11:03:46, 13/01/20 »
I've never had a problem with it's waterproofness providing it's regularly washed and reproofed with Nikwax's Tech Wash and TX Direct as recommended.

That IS the problem. I couldn't be bothered faffing around washing and reproofing after every few walks. Paramo may as well ask us to carry an umbrella out walking.
Easier just to stick a proper waterproof jacket in the backpack.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:09:48, 13/01/20 »

That IS the problem. I couldn't be bothered faffing around washing and reproofing after every few walks. Paramo may as well ask us to carry an umbrella out walking.
Easier just to stick a proper waterproof jacket in the backpack.

Your argument really doesn't stand up but each to their own and at the end of the day it's your decision. It's no good complaining it's no longer waterproof and implying that it's Paramo's fault when the real reason is that you just can't be bothered washing it to keep it waterproof.

In reality regular washing and reproofing is part of owning any waterproof Paramo clothing and is not faffing around which you must surely have realised before you decided to buy it in the first place.

Just chuck it in the washing machine occasionally and get some use/value out of what is/was a very expensive jacket or stick it on eBay and sell it on. They sell well and will outlast and outperform most Gore-Tex, eVent or other similar jackets if looked after properly.

wobblyknees

« Reply #18 on: 13:29:27, 13/01/20 »
I am not complaining. I'm just giving the benefit of my experience for other forum users. (That, I think is the main purpose of the forum).

I am not blaming Paramo for anything. I have loads of Paramo gear (Alta jackets, cascada pants,fuera windproof, trekking shirts, mountain pull ons, to name just a few I can remember offhand) and generally love their stuff.

when the real reason is that you just can't be bothered washing it to keep it waterproof.

How wrong you are. As stated in a previous post which you referenced I've tried every combination of hand wash, machine wash, overnight soaking, wash in, spray on, spray on on top of washed in.
I've gone with the easier option which is simply to throw a Marmot Precip in my backpack.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:03:58, 13/01/20 »
I've gone with the easier option which is simply to throw a Marmot Precip in my backpack.

In the right weather conditions I do exactly the same thing with my Marmot Precip preferring it over both my Paramo Cascada and Alta II jackets due to to the lighter weight and smaller pack size.

For what it's worth my guess is that you have picked up some contaminants somewhere during the washing or proofing process effectively stopping the waterproofing performing correctly.

The only way to remove all the Nikwax proofing plus any contaminants from the material is to have your jacket professionally dry cleaned and then restart the washing and reproofing cycle with Nikwax's Tech Wash and TX Direct on totally clean material. Dry cleaning is what Paramo do themselves to any garment sent back to them for reproofing or with problems such as you describe.

I have no idea what it costs to have a jacket dry cleaned these days but it can't be that expensive so it's got to be worth a try if it gets your Alta back into use?

wobblyknees

« Reply #20 on: 15:22:49, 13/01/20 »
Thanks for you advice. I'll consider dry cleaning, mainly out of curiosity.
How often, i.e. number of weeks or walks between washes does regular washing and reproofing entail.
I suspect throwing the Marmot Precip in my backpack might still be the easier option.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:42:13, 13/01/20 »
Paramo recommend the following

We recommend regular cleaning with Nikwax Tech Wash® (every 4-8 weeks with regular use, more often in muddy conditions, for example). Regular washing in Tech Wash will not damage the garment. Rapid wetting of the outer fabric in rain (i.e. water absorbed by the fabric) is a sure sign that the water-repellency is fading and washing in TechWash is required.
We recommend re-proofing with Nikwax TX.Direct® every 4-6 washes. More frequent re-proofing will not necessarily produce improved performance.
These may be worth a read

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/customerservice/

https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/caring-for-your-paramo/

http://www.foothills.co.uk/paramo_care.php

https://forums.outdoorsmagic.com/showthread.php/27953-Paramo-Cleaning-Service

Don't know how this compares to local dry cleaning service prices but according to Paramo's website they charge £30 for a professional clean and reproof.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:19:17, 13/01/20 »
As I've said a few times before I regret buying my Paramo Alta 2, easily leaks, too much faffing about trying to maintain its waterproofness, it's too heavy and in the summer just too hot to wear and when I want to stuff it in my rucksack it doesn't roll up small enough. Then my zip went so it's now in my garage, dumped!

I now use a cheap waterproof coat but my alternative is my Marmot Precip, I now know I prefer single skin jackets, for me much better!

My Marmot hood failed about three years ago, the waterproofing inner rubbed off so I've adapted it. I've cut the hood off and have thrown it away and then bought a £5 Decathlon poncho to compliment it. I've cut the Poncho down to just include the hood and a bit of the material to cover my shoulders with a bib sized bit down my front and a bib sized bit down my back. If it rains I just slip it over my head and its held down over my Precip with my rucksack shoulder straps, it works very well and it just rolls up into a tiny cigar sized item when not in use. When it rains I also wear my Lowe Alpine hat under the hood. Cutting items up for a specific purpose seems to be a useful way to save space and to carry less weight. I'm thinking of cutting up my Vaude Poncho but haven't yet made the decision.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy