Author Topic: Walking Solo  (Read 8102 times)

and101

Re: Walking Solo
« Reply #60 on: 08:17:32, 03/06/19 »
   So far I have got through almost 2 tubes Vitamin I but it's working - the secret is to massage it in firmly until it has all gone. 

Ninthace, where do you get the Vit I gel from?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 08:47:15, 03/06/19 »
Boots usually but the current tube is from Sainsbury’s. 5% w/w gel.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 09:15:25, 03/06/19 »

Ninthace, where do you get the Vit I gel from?
Vitamin I = Ibuprofen.
( For the avoidance of doubt)
Too little, too late, too bad......

and101

« Reply #63 on: 10:06:46, 03/06/19 »
Vitamin I = Ibuprofen.
( For the avoidance of doubt)

Ahh, that makes more sense now. Thanks!

Julie Tombs

« Reply #64 on: 14:30:43, 23/06/19 »
How many forum members walk solo? Curious to know. I've been walking since I was a nipper and probably 80% of that has been solo. Don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself either lonely or a loner and there was a time relatively recently when I walked with a mate but we've drifted apart.
I do have an aversion to walking in a biggish group which is why I don't get involved with the Ramblers. I find things are a bit too regimented what with leaders, back markers, risk assessments and the like. To me that sort of approach is alien to the ethos of walking and trekking. Walking solo I'm answerable to nobody but myself. The only person who has any responsibility for me is ME. It gives me freedom and independence.
Interested to hear the views of others.
That said, I would not be averse to walking again with ONE mate but I feel I would have to know that we could rub along together and enjoy a pint and a laugh in the pub afterwards. ;)

Another mainly solo walker here although I do group walks too and occasionally with my husband/other relative or friends.  At least 50% of my walks are done alone though and I am happy with that.  It means I do not need to consider anyone else and can go at a pace I am happy with, stop when I want and just take in the view and not have to consider anyone elses agenda. I am quite happy to do the group walks too though but that is more about the companionship  than the walk and I find I miss things through chatting and not paying as much attention to surroundings. Initially I was quite nervous from a  safety point of view particularly up on the coastal path where most of my walks take place at the moment so I do put precautions in place.  I always tell my husband where I am going and keep my location services switched on my iPhone. He knows if I am not back by a certain time then he should try and contact me or alert someone.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 16:59:56, 23/06/19 »
I walk alone and have a tracking app on my phone and I wear a PEBBEL call alarm around my neck. It can also act as an emergency phone if I can't use my mobile. Never had to use it yet but maybe one day?

watershed

« Reply #66 on: 19:27:49, 16/01/20 »
In the last 3000 miles I estimate I walked 300 miles in company.
That was with a church group on the WHW this summer, a couple of days on the TGO challenge in 2018 and taking my kids up Ronas Hill and visiting a few Brochs in Shetland.
The rest of my walks are solo.
I don't mind the company, but I see so much more when going solo. Especially wild life. Otters, birds, seals etc.
I tend to look at group walking as a different experience than solo walking. a bit like hill and coastal walking as a different experience to road and Down walking. Or when I used to run as cross country running to track running.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 21:46:42, 16/01/20 »
I'd say 80% of my walks are solo which I like, don't get me wrong, I like the company of my occasional walking partner but solo walking means I get to go at my own pace, choose my own route, stop for a brew when I want and basically I don't have to worry about someone else. 
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

myxpyr

« Reply #68 on: 08:15:21, 17/01/20 »
I'd say 80% of my walks are solo which I like, don't get me wrong, I like the company of my occasional walking partner but solo walking means I get to go at my own pace, choose my own route, stop for a brew when I want and basically I don't have to worry about someone else.
Yes, that's much the same with me.
Perhaps we could start a solo walkers group ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 09:48:51, 17/01/20 »
Yes, that's much the same with me.
Perhaps we could start a solo walkers group ;)
Wouldn’t that be an oxymoron?
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 09:55:08, 17/01/20 »
Wouldn’t that be an oxymoron?
Oh these edjecated folk.  ;)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 10:15:49, 17/01/20 »
And to be pedantic, shouldn't it be Solo Walker Group ?  ;D
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 10:40:14, 17/01/20 »
And to be pedantic, shouldn't it be Solo Walker Group ?  ;D

Or Solo Walker's Group
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 12:27:52, 17/01/20 »
Or Solo Walker's Group
Or to be really pedantic Solo Walkers' Group - assuming there is more than one of them  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 12:38:00, 17/01/20 »
Or to be really pedantic Solo Walkers' Group - assuming there is more than one of them  :)

Then it should be Solo Walkers' Groups

As they walk solo, if there are more than one walker there must be more than one group
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy