Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1266 times)

johnhillhouse

Hello
« on: 21:56:29, 23/12/19 »
Hi

My name is John and I love being out in the country side.  I used to love trail marathons but due to a dodgy knee had to give that up.  I've since taken to mountain biking and also going on walks (especially in the surrey hills where I live).  A couple of years ago my brothers and I walked the south downs way in 2 days to raise some money for macmillans.  We've also since walked part of the pennine way.

My latest itch is to go on a wild camping holiday, I'm new to this so should be an interesting experience.  I'm thinking of doing a circular route of about 3 nights in the lake district.  Ideally we would like to take in some of the best bits of the lake district, but if possible also stop at a pub each day for lunch.  Obviously to set up camp we would need to be far enough away from civilisation by night fall.  Can anyone recommend a route?  It doesn't necessarily have to be the lake district.

Thanks all!
John

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 06:59:30, 24/12/19 »
Welcome aboard from Manchester, John  :)

Loads of routes and wild pitches in the Lakes and many other regions on our site (in sig below) but no pub stops on them I'm afraid.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:32:36, 24/12/19 »
Welcome to the forum from Cumbria, John. :)

The Lake District is the ideal destination for wild camping and lots of pubs. Before I recommend any routes, I would like to know what sort of distance you are planning on doing in a day - quite impressive to do the South Downs Way in 2 days!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

johnhillhouse

« Reply #3 on: 16:35:11, 24/12/19 »
Thanks for the info gents.  vghikers, great website... I can't believe how many walks you've got on there!  Shame about the pubs, the only way I could convince my brother to join me was to promise him that we'll stop at a pub each day  ;D

Richard, I was thinking around 15 miles a day?  I want it to be a little bit of a challenge but not too difficult.  The South Downs walk we did was pretty painful and slighty insane  :o

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:44:13, 24/12/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. My suggestion is to download the 'Bob Graham Round' and use this as your base model, you can shorten it as you wish by doing a study via the free OS map on Bing Maps.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:51:06, 24/12/19 »
15 miles as a pretty decent day's walk on the hill. I'll have a think.

johnhillhouse

« Reply #6 on: 21:05:52, 24/12/19 »
Thanks Richard, that's very kind of you!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:27:42, 24/12/19 »
So many possibilities!

Here's one:

Drive to Wasdale Head, cheap camping opposite hotel, free parking just down the road. Enjoy Ritsons Bar.

Day 1 am - Scafell Pike, Ill Crag, Broad Crag, Esk Hause, Angle Tarn, then down to Langdale for a well earned pint (choice of pubs)

Day 1 pm - walk down valley and across low ridge to Grasmere, then up to Grisedale Tarn south of Helvellyn (wild camp).

Day 2 am - northwards to Helvellyn and then down to Thirlspot for a pint in the King's Head.

Day 2 pm - around the top of Thirlmere (permissive paths) then over the hill to Watendlath Tarn, then to Rosthwaite, Borrowdale before climbing up westwards to small tarn between High Spy and Dale Head (wild camp)

Day 3 am - over Dale Head, Hindscarth, Robinson to Buttermere (pub)

Day 3 pm - Along west shore of Buttermere, Haystacks, Brandreth, Green Gable, Great Gable before descending back to Wasdale Head.

I haven't camped at either of the wild camping spots mentioned, but I imagine there would be some good pitches in the vicinity.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:40:52, 24/12/19 »
More generally, there are country pubs close to the hills at:

Seathwaite (Dunnerdale),
Boot (Eskdale),
Wasdale Head,
Buttermere,
Braithwaite (nr Keswick); also Swinside Inn nearby.
Rosthwaite & Stonethwaite (Borrowdale),
Langdale (choice),
Grasmere,
Thirlspot,
Threlkeld,
Glenridding/Patterdale,
Brothers Water,
Kirkstone Pass.

This is just a small selection!

johnhillhouse

« Reply #9 on: 23:03:15, 24/12/19 »
Thank you very much Richard, that's exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks also for getting back to me so quickly, especially on Christmas Eve!

Merry Christmas!

John

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:27:03, 28/12/19 »
Hi John & welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member