Author Topic: Lift share to Meon Springs  (Read 2504 times)

KittyStan

Lift share to Meon Springs
« on: 09:52:19, 22/08/19 »
HI,

Can anyone suggest how I might get from Brighton to Meon Springs (where I can pick up my walk along the South Downs Way again)?
Public transport would only get me to Petersfield where I'd need to walk an hour to get to my 'starting point' at Meon Springs.

Any ideas or offers of a lift from a train station would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kitty

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Lift share to Meon Springs
« Reply #1 on: 10:07:54, 22/08/19 »
An hours walk is about 3 miles? Taxi would be an option.  I have seen folk walking the Two Moors Way use taxis for pick up and drop off.
Solvitur Ambulando

KittyStan

« Reply #2 on: 10:09:39, 22/08/19 »
Good idea...I could look into it properly (used a taxi quote website yesterday and they quoted £200+)!

Warbler

« Reply #3 on: 10:40:20, 22/08/19 »
There is a bus service every 2 hours or so from Petersfield to West Meon. From here it's just a 2 mile walk to Meon Springs fly fishery (presumably that's where you want to be) down a quiet country lane. I was there a few days ago  ;).

Or, just get a taxi from Petersfield.

It would be at least a 3 hour walk from Petersfield to Meon Springs.

Estevens90

« Reply #4 on: 09:08:05, 08/09/19 »
I'm attempting to complete this route in spring 2020 to celebrate my 30th birthday, over a series of weekends. (I've calculated 4)

I plan on starting at Winchester and walking West to East.

I live in London, so am using train to get to and from the track. I've split it over four two day trips as follows:

Trip 1: Winchester walk to East Meon (camp overnight) Walk as far up trail into Petersfield, divert into Petersfield town for train back to London.

Trip 2: Start in Petersfield, walk to East Dean (Camp overnight) get back onto trail, walk as far as I can on the trail to Amberly, train back to London.

Trip 3: Start in Amberly, walk to Steyning (camp overnight) get back onto trail, walk as far as I can on trail to Hassoks, train back to London.

Trip 4: Hassoks, walk to Alfriston (camp overnight) Follow loop around Eastbourne the following day and potentially stay in Brighton for the night to celebrate!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:06:00, 08/09/19 »
Personally, I would hitchhike from Petersfield to East Meon and then stroll to where you want to be.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:01:26, 08/09/19 »
The taxi rank is just outside of Petersfield station. If you want to walk to East Meon you can easily plot a course across country, loads of footpaths to choose from. I use Bing Maps on line to work these routes out, just click on their free OS map section, footpaths everywhere.

Or if you choose to miss a couple of miles you could walk directly to Queen Elizabeth Country Park. If you decide to do this, just head out of the station past the ticket office, walk directly ahead through the centre of the town, then at the main road turn right, walk on until you come to a mobile home site on your left. Turn left into the site and just follow the cross country footpath to Buriton. Its a nice walk and there's a decent pub in Buriton as well. You can then choose to join the South Downs Way at 2 or 3 different points, or just walk on to the visitor centre, have a coffee and cake at the cafe there and then join the South Downs Way which winds it's way through the park.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy