Author Topic: ickneild Way  (Read 842 times)

tyreon

ickneild Way
« on: 21:09:08, 19/05/14 »
Just got to Kentford. Trying to complete this Way to complete the Greater Ridgeway.

Haven't been impressed by the walk. Some of its path is very confined...by limited hedges(either side),some only  4/5 feet apart. Others pathways by equally restricted fencing. The open country is not detailed with small fields,but with removed hedges. The lay of the land is loping. Having said all this,at times,there was open country...and views where no towns or villages could be seen. Then,the villages have been 'quite neat',rather picturesque. Couldn't really recommend this walk to any foreign visitor or anyone wanting to do a trail. I think they would be disappointed. There are better trails to do. Now,back in the car,travelled through the country to survey the end of the walk...to see if there was going to be any hope of a bus into Thetford. But now,from Linton to Knettishall Heath,driving...the country opened up before me...and I was at once,impressed and relieved. Wot had happened? How come I hadn't seen what was around me? My guess is that this way is better seen by bicycle...or by car!(Am open to be shot!) The landrover ruts on the bridlepaths/greenways? made walking progress sometimes taxing. So,too,those restricted  ROW confined by hedges and fences. I also wonder whether the authorities have so changed the route to keep it open that its become tarded. Maybe the route has had to be diverted because of new roads,motorways etc. And the fields have become larger,less diversified maybe.

Looking forward to entering the forest part. Bit in the beyond. Removed. Heath and trees. Hope its sunny. Not too warm. Looks good bush-country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy