Author Topic: Anyone in Old Blighty using Dyneema (Cuben) fabric tents?  (Read 10018 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Anyone in Old Blighty using Dyneema (Cuben) fabric tents?
« Reply #15 on: 20:57:35, 12/04/19 »

I always have a preference for a drab green tent - If I am out in the wilds it is much better to blend in with the environment rather than stick out like a sore thumb and spoil someone else's enjoyment.

..although I did once nearly 'lose' my boulder shaped olive green 'Trisar' in the Torridon mists after nipping out amongst the tent sized boulders for a 'comfort break'  :o
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:41:23, 12/04/19 »
I always have a preference for a drab green tent - If I am out in the wilds it is much better to blend in with the environment rather than stick out like a sore thumb and spoil someone else's enjoyment.

Or to avoid being spotted by an irate farmer or landowner.
But my previous and present green tents still stand out, they're too dark and nothing like the green hues of the uplands.

..although I did once nearly 'lose' my boulder shaped olive green 'Trisar' in the Torridon mists after nipping out amongst the tent sized boulders for a 'comfort break'  :o

LOL! I can just visualise you starting to panic!

Litehiker

« Reply #17 on: 23:20:24, 12/04/19 »
Richard,
Have "stealth camped" off the Appalachian Trail in the Shannondoah National Park. Camping was permitted only at the wooden shelters but they were always overrun with rodents and backpackers. (Often hard to tell the difference.)  ;) 

Eric B.  

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:10:11, 14/04/19 »
Z packs offer them in green and camo.  https://zpacks.com/collections/shelters  I toyed with buying a Solplex (I'd get the Duplex now) in camo.  But the cost and sinking pound put me off.  As much as I like my Notch I think I'd rather still get the camo Duplex instead of the Notch Li. But then our needs and priorities are probably different.

« Last Edit: 21:15:35, 14/04/19 by Wurz »

Litehiker

« Reply #19 on: 21:46:20, 14/04/19 »
Wurz,
I'm so sold on Tarptent's AEON and Notch LI designs that I'll wait a bit until Henry Shires decides to offer a colored fly. Hopefully it will be green.

The AEON has very cleverly solved many of the solo 'mid design problems and I may opt for it. I have the TT Moment DW solo tent for 4 season use and I like it for winter camping in my "winterized" mode with the longitudinal Crossing Pole and, when needed, guy lines. IMO the Notch is basically a Moment with 2 hiking poles for support instead of a pole hoop.

The AEON is a "floored & doored" single wall tent that comes in at 1 pound (0.6 kilo?). I just wish it had a silnylon floor. It would only add another ounce but be more durable than the Dyneema floor. Alas it is not an option as it is with the Notch Li. Anyway that light 1 lb. weight is welcome when steaming up a grade at 11,000 ft. where the air ia a bit thin (and I'm a bit old).

I saw the AEON in a video on Backpacking Light where the site owner took it into Montana's high country at over 11,000 ft. on a ski trip. He ran into a "ground blizzard"that night with gusts to 65 mph. (so about 100 kph.). The spindrift snow came right in through the lower perimeter netting and door netting proving it was absolutely only meant for 3 season use. He decided to pack up around 12:30 Am and retreat some miles back to his pickup. As Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." ;o)

Eric B.
« Last Edit: 21:52:41, 14/04/19 by Litehiker »

watershed

« Reply #20 on: 14:53:41, 26/12/19 »
Did you ever buy the Tarptent?
 I have been considering a Notch Li for some time now with the fuller inner that gives a bit more weather protection and privacy. I currently have a knee problem that may curtail further Long distance walks, but if/when it clears I will probably purchase one. I see that the web site is awaiting 2020 update. So maybe Henry will further confuse me by changing some designs.
I would go for dynamo to ensure total water proof especially for the floor. I currently have a older copper spur 2 UL Big Agnus, which is a splendid tent, but it can let through a little damp through the floor when kneeling on it especially on clay type soil. I want to get something that wont do this. And the Noth Li in Dynamo seems the best thing on the market with 2 doors ultra light weight and twin skinned. Nice to hear if you have bought one and tried it out.

Litehiker

« Reply #21 on: 18:54:17, 26/12/19 »
Watershed,
No, I haven't purchased a Dyneema Tarptent yet.  But like you, I'm now liking the TT Notch Li with the "partial solid" interior to keep out blowing dust and (should I get caught in a freak snowstorm) spindrift snow. There is a video on the Backpacking Light showing how inadequate the Aeon Li is with spindrift snow.

I've suffered in Utah's Grand Escalante on a few windy nights with dust coming through a full netting inner tent and covering everything in a fine dust, me included.

BTW, I've used my Tarptent Moment DW in a snowstorm and the "partial solid" interior did very well in keeping out any snow. The Moment DW is very similar in shape to the Notch.

And for two the TT Stratospire Li looks very good and very storm-worthy.

Eric B.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:01:51, 26/12/19 »
I have a bivi (great for stealth camping after I've waltzed out of a pub) and am looking for a spot nearby. I also have a tent (bright orange) so what I would really like is a tent (drab green please) that once in my sleeping quilt I can lower the roof to bivi height and in the morning raise the roof and get myself organised as I do in my tent. Does such a product exist?

watershed

« Reply #23 on: 19:12:34, 26/12/19 »
Thanks for the Reply Eric
 I must admit the ultimate for me would be a  Stratospire 1 in Dynamo, but as yet they don't make it. (only done in Silnylon)
I asked Henry and he said it would be in direct competition with the Notch Li, so didn't see the need. I think it would be a great tent, slightly bigger floor area than the Notch but smaller than the Stratosphere 2 Li to allow you to camp in tight spaces.
 Ah well we can see what 2020 models are posted.
I think if knee improves over next few months I will order The Notch Li. Seems the perfect tent for Long distance walks in Scotland.
Cheers,
          Neil

Litehiker

« Reply #24 on: 19:18:00, 26/12/19 »
Neil,
If you get that Notch Li I'd like to see some photos of it "in the wild". Let us know how it handles high winds when properly guyed out.

Eric B.

watershed

« Reply #25 on: 19:26:09, 26/12/19 »
Thanks Eric B will do.
I wont be doing multi day walk until end of April, but will send photo's if it all comes together

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:50:26, 27/12/19 »
Personally I cant justify the cost of dyneema tents,
It has been mentioned on YouTube that The notch Li is made from very thin fabric,
And care has to be taken when using it, I wonder how durable it is?

As for silnylon sagging when wet, it's no big deal to adjust the guy lines etc.
I normally check them when I need to pee in the night anyway :)

If these tents were sold in the UK without all the extra expense, and the price comes down as they become more popular, then maybe I will consider one in the future, however, it would need an inner suitable for the UK weather
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

watershed

« Reply #27 on: 16:00:37, 27/12/19 »
Thanks for the reply Beefy.
Yes the cost is a consideration.
The biggy for me though is the waterproof and weight combination.
I have a silnylon tent for shorter walks I have done that is 1 to 14 days.
but for a Fifty plus day walk in Scotland I think it will be worth the expense.
Cheers,
         Neil

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:14:49, 27/12/19 »
Thanks for the reply Beefy.
Yes the cost is a consideration.
The biggy for me though is the waterproof and weight combination.
I have a silnylon tent for shorter walks I have done that is 1 to 14 days.
but for a Fifty plus day walk in Scotland I think it will be worth the expense.
Cheers,
         Neil
The notch looks like a great design, good luck with it, and please let us know how you go on with it O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 17:44:53, 27/12/19 »
however, it would need an inner suitable for the UK weather

^ this.

..and the bit about not being able to justify the cost!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy