Author Topic: South west coastal path - food  (Read 2643 times)

satnavtomington

South west coastal path - food
« on: 12:26:32, 24/01/15 »
Hi everyone,
I'm in the planning stages of doing the South West Coast Path in one go (about 630 miles) and it takes a speedy walker about a month to do, which will be my target.
I've never done a walk lasting more than 2 weeks, so my question is, what would you suggest I do in terms of food?
Thanks

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: South west coastal path - food
« Reply #1 on: 15:50:45, 24/01/15 »
Well I'd certainly take some..or have a really huge breakfast on the day you set off ;D
Seriously we need a bit more to go on, camping ? b and b ing? bit of both supported, unsupported?
From what I remember of the little bits of the SWCP that I have walked it mainly consisted of climbing out of one bay going along the tops to descend into another bay and said bays had shops and or cafes and even pubs, so I don;t think food will be hard to come by O0
Good luck BTW. It's a lovely walk in a lovely part of the country :)

CallMeSteven

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:08:49, 24/01/15 »
You must be super fit doing it in one month, 630 miles would average 20 miles per day, but the ascent is around 74,000 feet, so, 2,400 feet per day !!

Don't think I could do that in a month, maybe three   ;)

satnavtomington

« Reply #3 on: 18:23:02, 24/01/15 »
On previous walks I've managed about 20 miles a day, but that has been on relatively flat terrain, so perhaps I should aim for one and a half to two, which would also give me a chance to take some of the sights in properly.

I'm planning to camp and be as unsupported as possible, avoiding B&Bs and the like. Although, I'm thinking maybe having someone meet me each week to top up on food may be the way to go.

Warbler

« Reply #4 on: 22:52:00, 24/01/15 »
The longest stretch without any shops is probably between Clovelly and Bude, about 28 miles (very tough miles), although you can get food and drink at Hartland Quay.

I think 6 or 7 weeks is about par for this walk.

Bimbling Jean

« Reply #5 on: 18:29:00, 25/01/15 »
It really depends on which stretch you are doing - from personal experience the SWCP seems to have more cafes, beach bars etc than the Pembrokeshire Coastal path where often there was no chance of refreshment over the whole days walk especially on the northern part of the path.

In the more touristy areas where there are lots of beaches and resorts there should be lots of chances to restock on calories - other stretches such as from St Ives to Pendeen have less available en route - if you join SWCP association they publish a very useful guide book advising of what is available on each stretch.

As I recall from book 500 mile walks written by Mark Wallington about his walk along SWCP with a canine friend he lived on muesli for the whole walk…... ;D

Also be careful not to underestimate the terrain and how it will affect the distance travelled - especially with carrying camping gear etc.

A rule of thumb for coastal walking is that it is always further than you think, harder than you think and usually will take longer than you think.
The longest journey starts with a single step

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:43:55, 25/01/15 »
You should also allow for the extra time to sample Devon and Cornish cream teas  O0  Simply delicious.

Good luck with the walk.

Regards Keith

WalkingTim

« Reply #7 on: 17:42:29, 25/02/15 »
Carrying your tent and all your clothes etc and trying to walk 15 to 20 miles a day you will be burning a lot of calories and will need to eat a healthy diet and plenty of it.  I am no dietitian but had some friends who kayaked around the UK one summer and initially ate lots of typical junk food chips/icecream etc, when they switched to a more healthy diet they found they could paddle for many more hours each day.
We are based in St Mawes and if you fancy a free meal and a shower as you go by do get in touch.

Good luck

Tim
Nearwater Walking Holidays

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy